Title: Heart's Wish
Author: Jenna
Feedback: Worshipped, adored and cuddled!
Spoilers: Je Souhaite and Emily
Category: MSR Rating: PG-13
Disclaimer: Fox/Carter/1013...lucky bums.
Archive: After-The-Fact, MSR Preservation Society, HeartXF1, Gossamer and Ephemeral. Anywhere else, please let me know first.

Summary: What if Mulder received more than three wishes?

Author's Thanks: To Jamie for the great beta job and the friendship.

Dedication: To Lisa, who has been a tower of strength during a rough period for me. I owe you much more than I can ever repay. ;) Thanks! Website: http://jennasxffic.tripod.com/


"So what was your final wish, anyway?"

I am too happy to tell her that within a few hours her dreams will come true, so I just smile, contemplating our new future. I wonder what her reaction will be when she sees Emily for the first time after so many years. Of course, she will be 6-years-old now. She will be old enough to count to 10, tie her own shoelaces and dress herself. The elation that will show on Scully's face will be worth any pain I have caused her over the years.

"Mulder? Mulder?!"

I feel a gentle tug on my arm, as she tries to bring me back to reality, and away from the place of my present happy thoughts. I smile coyly at her, but I don't answer her question. I look at the television instead. The theme music to "Caddy Shack" plays in the background. I raise my bottle and swig back a generous portion of the Shinerbock.

"Scully, it's supposed to be a surprise!"

"A surprise?"

"Yes, a surprise." A teasing quality emits from my voice, and I grin in spite of myself.

She smiles up at me again and tugs on my tee-shirt sleeve. "Come on...you can tell me. I **promise** I'll act surprised later."

A full hearty laugh escapes from my lips and it must sound heavenly to her as her smile grows wider. She snuggles against me and rubs my thigh with her hand in an up and down motion, looking up into my eyes, with a pout on her lips.

I can't help myself. When she stares at me with her deep ocean blue eyes, I can't refuse her anything. "Okay, you **promise** that you'll act surprised later?"

She raises her fingers in a Scout's Honor symbol and laughs. "I promise!"

"Well, okay. I got another wish, Scully. Jenn let me have four wishes instead of three."

"What are you talking about? Genia's can't grant people extra wishes."

"Jenn could, because they were going to benefit people who needed them." I see the light reflecting from the lamp into her eyes. They look like gleaming sapphires staring back at me.

"But how? I don't understand."

"Jenn was able to grant me another wish because I gave all of mine away. It's a little known Genia law."

"So! What were your final **two** wishes then?"

"I wished for Jenn to be released from the power of the Gen."

"And? And?!"

I admire her enthusiasm about this whole genia in the rug issue. She doesn't normally believe in genie's or genia's, but she seems to be enthralled with this story, and with what I wished for.

"My fourth and final wish was meant for you, Scully."

"For me?"

She seems stunned that I would use my last final wish for her benefit.

"Yes, Scully, for you." Suddenly, she grows quiet and gazes back into my eyes with a very serious look on her face.

"And what did you wish for me?"

"I wished that you could have Emily back. Actually, that **we** could have her back."

She rises, turning away from me and begins to shake. "Oh, Mulder, that just isn't possible," her voice muffled.

"Scully, turn around." When she doesn't make an effort to face me, I stand and grasp her gently by the shoulders and turn her body toward the door, where Emily is standing.

She runs toward Emily and fiercely hugs her. She has a million questions running through her mind, and many more questions coming out of her mouth. "Mulder? What? How?"

"Jenn and I found her adoptive parents living in Missouri, Scully. They couldn't care for her anymore. They were an older couple and were having a very hard time getting around. They had no other family to take Emily in. They have given parental rights up and made it their expressed wish that you and I adopt Emily as our daughter. Here are the papers. They had been contemplating this for some time as the date would show on the court documents."

"But this isn't really..."

"Yes, Scully, she's the original. Not a clone."

Scully smiles as she looks down at Emily and begins to softly stroke the little girl's hair. Tears flowed freely down her face as she looks into her daughter's eyes. "Hello, Emily."

I walk over to them and bend down to swoop Emily up into my arms as I hug the two of them close to my side. Thanks to Jenn, I have received my heart's wish, and so did she. I know I will never be able to thank her enough.

-The End-

Read More Like This Write One Like This
"Emily"
Not!Dead Kids
The Empty Cradle
The End of Emily Challenge
TNF & Erin Blair's Emily Is Alive Challenge
Kid Resurrection Halloween Challenge



Return to The Nursery Files home