For the past six years The Nursery Files has strove to bring to you all sorts of X-Files baby and kid fics. Each fic archived here has one thing in common: a character within it is a baby, child or teenager. Many of these fics feature Mulder and Scully with children, but Doggett, Reyes, Skinner and other characters have children here too. A few fics include slash pairings as well(any fic listed in blue is a slash one). Some fics include child relatives, or children not related to a character at all. William and Emily have a healthy representation here, but original child characters abound too. Samantha Mulder, Luke Doggett and Matthew Scully make appearances too.
There are fics for all tastes, and the genre lists, as well as the Acronyms Key - both linked on the left- should help you find just the sort of fic you crave.
- Your achivist, NeoX
News and Challenges
This Month's Featured Challenges
Let's see your name added to the listings here! Anyone, not just authors already archived here, is allowed to submit fic for challenges. And once you do, you'll be a TNF author too! All you need to do is write a fic. Short, long, whatever makes your muse happy. First time writers more than welcome to participate. E-mail your completed fic, or a link to your fic on your site (either completed or a wip in that case,) to email@example.com
Plucked From the Past Challenge
- Send a character(s) back in time to rescue one of the following child characters from their certain deaths:
Samantha Mulder (age fourteen. Cause of death: walk-ins? murder?)
Emily Sim (age three. Cause of death: serious illness)
Luke Doggett (age seven. Cause of death: murder)
- ...and bring the child to the present, explaining how removing them from their past just before death solves their problem, and give readers a sense of what happens after the rescue.
- The character you chose should also still be the age they were just prior to death. However, you can stage their rescue at any point you chose (during the show/post series/post-iwtb) which should effect how much adjusting all chracters need to go through now that they have the child with them.
optional: your story can be a crossover with another tv show/book/movie that involves time travel.
One Each Way Challenge
To celebrate the site's move, write a fics with Mulder and Scully aquiring kids in all the six (to nine!) common ways they do in stories
Project Midnight Challenge
If writing happy family-oriented stories isn't your thing, give one of the other challenges a dark turn instead.
To celebrate William's 10th birthday, there are a few dozen new William fics. We're still waiting on entries for the birthday challenge...send 'em in late rather than not at all, okay?
212 new fics. Read 'em, then
write us some more =)
Changes are afoot! And not just the newly added fics (fall's update has kind of rolled over into winter) as I complete an update. Perhaps you've noticed the changes along the way, but if not:
- all HTML pages (except some by your archivist) now have boxes at the bottom that list two things: a. which theme lists you should visit if you'd like to read similar fics b. which challenges are somewhat similar if you're inspired to pen a fic like the one you've just read.
- the genres page (the link to on this front page is now the handy icon in the upper left hand corner) has gotten a radical makeover! General consensus from beta testers indicate that the new layout is much easier to navigate. go see, go see!. There are also several brand new lists on it too, ranging from Inhuman Parents to Lamaze Class fics.
- there's now a link to the new writer's FAQ at the bottom of each challenge page, so if you have questions, it should help clear up many of them
- as you might have noticed on the A authors, I've begun listing the size of the stories. This is going to take a long time to finish...unless someone(s) wants to volunteer to save the stories (the size in kb that they save to your hard drive is the size) and send me a list of lengths? If you'd like to volunteer to help this project along, send me an e-mail and ask for a letter to work on. firstname.lastname@example.org
- all frequent visitors are now required to pen a fic for one of the challenges here. Okay, just kidding. I'd like you to consider it, though.
There are lots of new Christmas fics, and a new Christmas Challenge
Check out our sister site, the new Haloween/scary-fic archive, Bump In The Night
It's my birthday, so let me be self-indulgent and make an announcement: The Family G-Man by Felinefemme and me is now 100% posted. If you've been waiting on this massive story to be finished before reading, your wait is over!
The good news is that this update is complete, and there are 209 new fics! But the bad news is that I'm probably not going to do another big update until the fall-winter. I'll add fics that people submit (you writers all know you don't need to wait for me to contact you, right?) and any challenge fics that appear in my in box between now and September, but that's about it beyond new challenges and new genre lists.
Long Gone Challenge - explain that Doggett and Reyes weren't in the second movie, due to their involvement with a child (DRR, Doggett/other and Reyes/other fics are all acceptable). My birthday is the second week of April, if anyone wants to write a fic for one of the unanswered challenges to suprise me. j/k :)
The fine print for the inclusion policy:
Before a fic is included on this page, I make an effort to contact authors
to ask permission. I've only gotten two "no" since beginning this
archive, but I know I'd like to be asked, so I extend that courtsey to the
writers here as well. If the e-mail address for a writer's fic does not
work, I look for newer works from the author, hoping to find a more
recent, working address (unless it's marked "archive anywhere," after
the first failed e-mail I take the instuction at face value). If I still can't
contact them I assume they've moved on from this fandom and wouldn't
mind if their work was included; likewise, if the e-mail to them is not
returned but its been months without a reply I may also include the work
for the same reason. If I'm ever wrong about your work and you'd like it
removed, please let me know.