Title: Hazel
Author: Rebecca Ford <xfgurl@hotmail.com>
Classification: V
Rating: G
Spoilers: Requiem
Keywords:babyfic
Summary: Scully takes a trip down to the neo-natal ward shortly after the birth of her baby.
Disclaimer: They don't belong to me! Yadda yadda yadda...sue away! You won't get much:)



HAZEL



Slowly I treaded down the dimly-lit hallway, feeling my heart about to burst out of my chest, and feeling more alone than I ever have in my life.

I winced only slightly at the dull pain that accompanied each step. I was thankful that the nurse reassured me it would go away soon.

As I neared the corner, I felt the heavy weight on my heart lift as I caught sight of the neo-natal ward, filled with bustling nurses and proud new parents, hugging, kissing and pointing at their newborns. I smiled broadly despite my grief.

I smiled because at least I was one of them now. Finally.

As I approached the window, a young couple turned to me, their eyes gleaming.

"Congratulations," the fellow new mother said to me, as she stepped aside to let me look through the window. Her husband looked on in admiration.

My heart soared. They recognized me as one of them.

"Thank you," I heard myself say. "You as well."

She pointed toward the back, where a nurse was holding up their baby, wrapped in a pink blanket.

"There she is," boasted her husband, turning to me and then back to his wife. "She has your eyes!"

I feigned delight, as I felt my heart slowly breaking.

"Adorable," was all I could muster.

Another couple beside them were gushing over their little boy, wrapped in a bright blue blanket.

"Look at his baby blues!"

This was hard to bear, and I knew I had to turn away soon. I'd come back later, perhaps when there was no one around.

I put one hand on the wall to steady myself, as I prepared for the long trek back to my hospital room.

Just as I was about to turn away, something caught my eye. A nurse was picking up a baby. Wrapped in white.

With the name <Mulder> imprinted on the incubator.

Frozen in the realization that this was my baby, all I could do was lean against the wall to keep from crumbling. My eyes remained fixed to the tiny little human being I helped create, nestled safely in the arms of the nurse.

She gently rocked our baby back and forth, and then proceeded to fill a bottle.

Tears sprung to my eyes as I watched the tiny fingers reach toward the full cylinder. The nurse cooed as our child looked up at her with wide eyes.

The feeding immediately grabbed the attention of the other new parents gathered around, and they smiled and pointed at the baby wrapped in white, guzzling down the warm fluid contentedly.

"Isn't that sweet?"

"What gorgeous eyes! What colour do you think they are?"

"Hazel."

At the sound of my voice, they all turned to look at me, standing behind them. My eyes twinkled as emotion overcame me.

Amidst my tears, it was my turn to boast to them.

"Just like Daddy's."




Feedback is appreciated! Please send all feedback to <xfgurl@hotmail.com>

"The truth is in <me>." ~*~*~*~


Read More Like This Write One Like This
Baby William fics list
Non-Canon Kids list
One Each Way Challenge
It's Another Boy Challenge


Return to The Nursery Files home