Title: Sarah 20. Papa Fox
Author: Carol Gritton
Series: Sarah series
Disclaimer: Fox Mulder, Dana Scully belong to Chris Carter, 1013 and Fox TV. They are used without permission, and no infringement of copyright is intended.
Rating: G
Classification: S, MSR

Summary: A happy event for Sarah and Robin, and babysitting detail for Mulder and Scully.

Note: My thanks to Eleanore for advice on technical matters.


It was the call they had been waiting for.

"Thank you - we'll be right there." Scully replaced the handset and turned to Mulder, a big smile on her face. His face wore an expression of... well, she didn't quite know how to describe it. It shifted from anxious to expectant, then back again.

"That was Robin - Sarah's in labor."

"Well, what are we waiting for, Scully? Let's go!"

When they reached Mulder's car, he fumbled the keys, he was that nervous.

"Here - you'd better drive. I don't think I'm in a fit state," he said, handing them to Scully.


It seemed like only yesterday that Mulder had been walking Sarah down the aisle on her wedding day. Now she was about to become a mother, and he would become a grandfather. He recalled the night Robin and Sarah had broken the news to their families - they had invited everyone over to dinner, then made their announcement over coffee. Mulder had had an inkling that something was going on already - several days prior to the celebratory dinner, he had caught Scully looking at him in a certain way, with a fond smile on her face.

"What's up, Scully? Why are you looking at me like that?" he had asked suspiciously.

"Like what, Mulder?" Scully had replied innocently.

"Like you know something that I don't. What's going on, Scully?"

"Nothing's going on, Mulder," had been her reply. He was going to be thrilled with Sarah's news. Sarah had called Scully and voiced her suspicions as to her condition, but sworn her mother to secrecy until the pregnancy had been confirmed.

Scully didn't know who was looking forward to the birth of this baby the most - Sarah and Robin, or Mulder. He had taken to his impending grand parenthood wholeheartedly - every time he and Scully went shopping, he would pick up something for the forthcoming arrival. Mulder was determined that no grandchild of his was going to go without.


They pulled up outside the birthing center, and Mulder clucked in disapproval.

"Why did Sarah choose this place? What's wrong with a good old fashioned hospital?"

"You hit the nail right on the head, Mulder. Sarah wanted somewhere that was less rigid and more modern in its birthing practices. We had a long discussion about the various merits of each option, and she chose this one. And since we're on the subject, when did you become so enamored of hospitals?"

"When the health of my daughter and grandchild is at stake," he replied. "With Robin being a pediatrician, I'm surprised he went along with her choice."

"Well, your daughter is nothing if not persuasive, and once she gets her teeth into something she won't let go. Rather like someone else we both know!" Scully gave him a sideways look.

Mulder made a face back at her. "What if there are complications, Scully? What if medical intervention becomes necessary? Are they equipped for that eventuality?"

Scully put her hand on his arm. "Mulder, stop worrying. Sarah will be just fine. She's in good hands. Do you honestly think that Robin would let Sarah put herself and their baby at risk? Anyway, I checked the place out for myself once I knew that this was their final choice."

Mulder nodded, seemingly satisfied that Scully had conducted her own investigations into the place. He wouldn't have expected anything less from her.


The whole family had gathered by the time the baby made its debut. After a short wait, Robin came out and asked Mulder and Scully if they would like to go in and see their grandchild. A tired but happy Sarah sat up in the bed, cradling her newborn son in her arms. Tears welled up in Mulder's eyes. His little girl was a mother now, but all he could see was the nearly newborn Sarah that he had held in his arms all those years ago.

"Dad... would you like to hold your grandson?" she said softly.

Mulder nodded, too choked up to speak. He held out his arms, and she placed the tiny baby into his protective embrace.

"Oh, Sarah... he's beautiful. Scully look..." He held the baby up for her to see, but she was just as interested in Mulder's expression. Love, pride... and a host of other emotions danced upon his face.

"He is indeed, Mulder," answered Scully softly, with a smile. This was such an emotional event for him, and already she could see that he was very much taken with his grandson. Sarah, conscious of the fact that her father hadn't been there when she was born, or held her until she was several hours old, had wanted her father, after Robin, to be the first to see and hold her baby. Sarah had told Scully of her plans, again swearing her to secrecy, and she had been overcome by her daughter's kindness and consideration. She knew Sarah's actions would make Mulder very happy.


They didn't stay too long, appreciating the fact that Sarah's labor had been long and exhausting.

"I'd forgotten what it was like to hold a newborn baby," Mulder said softly, as he and Scully lay in bed that night. "I'd forgotten just how small and soft they are."

"Me too," replied Scully. "Josh was as small as that once - you wouldn't think so to look at him now." She thought fondly of her six foot son.

Mulder snuggled up to his wife. "So, Scully... how does it feel to sleep with a grandfather?" Scully could see the rakish grin on his face in the half light.

"I don't know, Mulder - why don't you ask me again in the morning?" Her throaty laugh was silenced by his kiss.


Sarah's private room resembled a florists when Mulder and Scully arrived to visit the next day. There were bouquets and floral arrangements galore, some sporting blue balloons and streamers, or decorative storks. There was a beautiful arrangement from Josh, complete with a tiny blue teddy bear, and a sheath of tiger lilies from Stephanie. A huge display of red roses occupied one table, and Scully immediately knew that they were from Robin. A beautiful pot of delicate orchids came from Granny Mulder, and Mulder and Scully's own contribution took up another small table.

Mulder had brought with him a bottle of champagne, to wet the baby's head.

"We don't have any glasses," said Robin.

"We're nothing if not prepared," answered Mulder, with a smile. Out of a bag, he produced a carton of six champagne flutes. While Scully got out the glasses, Mulder cracked open the champagne. "Will you have some, sweetheart?" He looked at his daughter.

"I shouldn't really, Dad - not while I'm breastfeeding." She looked up at Robin.

"Honey, I hardly think that a few mouthfuls of champagne will turn our son into an alcoholic!"

"If you're sure..." Sarah looked at her mother. "Mom, what do you think?"

"Robin's right, Sarah. A couple of mouthfuls won't do any harm."

"Okay then... just half a glass, Dad," smiled Sarah.

Mulder finished pouring the champagne, and handed round the glasses. "So, does this baby have a name yet?"

"Benjamin Robert William Chalmers," announced Robin.

"That's lovely, Sarah," said Scully.

"Well, we both liked the name Benjamin, Robin's father's name was Robert, and William came from Dad," explained Sarah

"At least you didn't saddle him with 'Fox!'" snorted Mulder.

"We did think about it," put in Robin. "But we couldn't seem to come up with the right combination."

"Thank heavens for small mercies!" grinned Mulder. "Well, are we going to drink to this baby's health or not?"

Three heads nodded back at him.

"Then I propose a toast - to Benjamin Robert William Chalmers. May he have a long and happy life. And to Robin and Sarah, the happy parents - all our love and warmest congratulations on this very happy event. May this be the first of many!"

Scully grimaced. "Mulder, if my experience was anything to go by, the last thing Sarah will be thinking of right now is having another baby!"


Sarah was glad to get home to some peace and quiet. Each day had brought a succession of visitors, and she was now looking forward to spending some time alone with Robin and their son, so that they could get to know him and develop some sort of routine with him. Sarah and Robin had been bombarded with advice from all quarters, and all of it well meant, but they had to find their own way of looking after and raising Ben. What was right for one child was not necessarily right for another, and it was only by trial and error that these differences were discovered. Right now, she had to feed him - he was becoming fractious. Taking Ben through to the nursery, Sarah made herself comfortable in the lovely antique rocking chair that Granny Mulder had given her, and put her son to the breast.


As Ben suckled, Sarah glanced around the room. Robin had made a wonderful job of decorating the nursery. The whole room was bright and airy, with a colorful frieze around the wall at waist height. A musical mobile, a gift from Josh, hung above the crib. Mulder and Scully had paid for the crib, which was also home to a variety of soft toys. Ben already had a dresser bulging with clothes, most of which had been gifts. He was already a very much loved little boy.

"So, how's my son?" asked Robin with a smile.

"Hungry," answered Sarah. "As always."

Robin bobbed down beside her, and stroked a finger across Ben's thatch of hair.

"I'm still trying to work out which one of us he looks like," said Robin. "My Mom thinks he looks like you." He studied the infant for a moment. "He's definitely got the Mulder mouth!"

"I think he's got the Mulder appetite, too!" smiled Sarah. She touched her lips to the baby's brow, just as he unlatched from her breast. "Oh, have you finished?"

Ben answered with a yawn.

"Now I suppose you want to go to sleep!" Sarah fastened her shirt, then wrapped Ben in a beautiful shawl - hand crocheted by Granny Margaret. She stood up and Robin took Ben from her. "You go to your Daddy for a while."

Sarah watched as Robin talked softly to their son, rocking him gently. Before long, Ben was asleep, then Robin lowered him into the crib.

"Why don't you go and rest for a while?" suggested Robin. "I'd like to sit here for a bit with Ben."

"Okay - I'll make some coffee." With that, Sarah left him to it.


"I thought we might have heard from Sarah," said Mulder, over dinner that night.

"She only came home this morning, Mulder. I expect she's settling in again after being away for a few days. I'm sure you remember what it was like when we came home with Stephanie. We just wanted to spend some time on our own, getting to know her and enjoying her."

"Maybe I should go over there... see if she needs anything."

"You stay right where you are, Mulder. If Sarah needs anything, Robin can get it for her. Like it or not, he's responsible for her now. Let them have some time on their own - Sarah will be in touch soon, I'm sure. This is a very special time for her, Mulder - you've been through it, so you know what it's like. There'll be plenty of opportunities for you to spend time with her and Ben in the future. Just leave it for a while... let her come to you when she's ready."


Two weeks later, after Sunday dinner at Robin and Sarah's, Mulder sat in an armchair, the baby lying on his back against his grandfather's thighs. He looked up at Mulder with a little frown on his face.

"Oh, you are such a beautiful little boy, and do you know what? Papa Fox loves you very much. We are going to have such fun together... I'm going to teach you everything. We'll play basketball and baseball... read books and listen to music... I'll teach you about the stars in the sky... You're so lucky - you're surrounded by a family that loves you, and we will see to it that nothing ever hurts you."

Mulder slid his hands carefully under the baby and lifted him up, remembering to support his head, then pressed his lips gently to the soft skin on the baby's brow. From her vantage point in the doorway, Sarah dabbed at her eyes. Mulder caught the movement out of the corner of his eye and turned.

"Sarah! I didn't see you there." He looked a little sheepish. "Ben and I were just having a little chat."

"I know," smiled Sarah. "I heard you." She had perched herself on the arm of her father's chair, and she reached out and caressed her son's head. "What you said was lovely, Dad. If Ben gets as much love as I did, then he will be a very lucky little boy." Sarah leaned over and kissed her father's cheek. "Now, if you've quite finished with my son, I think it's time he was fed!"

Mulder handed the precious little bundle to her, and she cradled him in her arms. When Sarah got to the door, she turned and smiled.

"Papa Fox, huh?" Another smile. "I like it."


The chime of the doorbell was the last thing Sarah needed at that moment. Ben was crying, and no matter what she did, he didn't seem to want to stop. Cradling him in one arm, she headed for the front door. She opened it to find her father standing there.

"Dad! What are you doing here?" She rocked the crying baby in her arms. "Come in."

"I was just passing, and... What?" he asked, seeing her skeptical expression. He walked through the door and into the hall.

"Nothing," replied Sarah, closing the door behind him and giving him a tired smile. She knew an excuse when she heard one, and Mulder's claim to be 'just passing' was exactly that. His daughter's house wasn't on the way to anywhere he might want to go.

"Are you okay? You look tired." He took in the dark rings under her eyes. Ben was still crying. "What's the matter with Ben?"

"I don't know. I've just fed him, and normally he goes to sleep right after, but he can't seem to settle."

By now, they were standing in Robin and Sarah's bedroom.

"Where's Robin?" asked Mulder.

"Hospital. One of his patients took a turn for the worse." She was still trying to pacify her son, who wouldn't be consoled.

"Here - let me try," said Mulder, and Sarah passed the child to him.

Mulder carefully laid Ben down on the bed and began to massage his limbs gently.

"Remember when I used to do this for you?" he asked.

Sarah smiled. "I remember." She used to love the sensation of her father's strong, gentle hands making soothing circles on her back. It had always reassured and calmed her.

"Annie taught me to do it - she guaranteed that it would soothe you and send you to sleep, however cranky you were!"

"I think she was right." Sarah peered at her son. His cries had dropped to the odd whimper, and his eyelids were gradually drooping. Mulder picked him up and held him against his shoulder, continuing to make gentle circles on his back.

"Is he asleep?" asked Mulder softly.

"It looks like it. Dad, you're a miracle worker!" Sarah reached up and kissed his cheek.

Mulder glanced around, seeing Sarah's old teddy Growler sitting on her dresser. Wherever she went, her beloved Growler went too.

"Where do you want me to put Ben?"

"In the Moses basket. I had him in the living room with me - I was doing some reading."

They went through to the other room, and Mulder carefully placed his grandson in the basket, covering him with the shawl.

"I'll put the kettle on," said Sarah.

"No, you won't. I'll do it. You look as if you could do with a rest." He steered her over to Robin's recliner. "Sit back now, and put your feet up. I'll bring the coffee in here."

Sarah smiled, and did as she was told. It was no good arguing with her father.

While Mulder waited for the kettle he cleared the table of dirty dishes and put them in the dish washer. He tried to do it silently because he knew Sarah would get anxious if she thought he was doing any housework. He remembered all too well how Scully had worn herself to a frazzle trying to be Supermom after Stephanie had been born. Margaret had finally taken him aside and given him a few sharp words of advice.

It wasn't that Mulder wasn't doing his share of the chores, it was just that Scully was taking on too much. Mulder had to convince her that it was much more important to the health of the whole family, that she be rested and relaxed. The housework just wasn't as important as nurturing the baby and being happy and loving with Sarah. So Mulder had put his foot down and told his stubborn wife that she was to ignore the dust and pay more attention to herself. Scully had resisted at first, but they had soon discovered that they could live quite comfortably with dust bunnies under the beds, and unfolded laundry in the baskets. That a couple of dirty pans in the sink, the odd sticky spot on the bathroom counter, or toys all over the living room floor did not really matter in the long run.

With a restructuring of her priorities Scully started to really enjoy mothering. In fact, she bloomed. Mulder would come home to find his three girls playing happily on the floor with scissors and paste, or up to their elbows in cookie dough, or snuggled asleep on the couch surrounded by books... and he knew that all was well with his world.

When Josh arrived, the house had become a little messier still. But the years had passed in the wink of an eye. Before they knew it, Josh was in school all day, Scully was back to work full time, and they were once again able to afford a cleaning lady.

Mulder wondered if Scully had ever talked to Sarah about those years. About how exhausting young children were and how she couldn't expect to be able to do everything, and that the feelings of the people living in the house were so much more important than the house itself or its appearance.

He was walking carefully with the two mugs of coffee when he went back into the living room. Balanced on one of the mugs was a plate of crackers and cheese.

"I thought you might like a snack with your coffee, sweetheart..." He looked up after he had placed the mugs on the end table at Sarah's elbow. She was sound asleep.

Mulder wasn't surprised; being a new mom was tiring and stressful work. He spread an afghan over his little girl and took his coffee back out to the kitchen.


When Robin came home a couple of hours later, he found his wife asleep in the living room. It took him an anxious couple of minutes to locate the baby. Finally he spotted his father-in-law out the kitchen window. Mulder was walking Ben around the yard to see the sights.

Robin joined them, but not before he took in the folded laundry, the shiny bathroom sink and the chicken baking in the oven.

"Hi, Dad."

"Look, Ben. It's your daddy. Hello, Robin. I bet you'd like to have this little guy." Mulder passed the baby over to his father. "Is Sarah awake yet? I think Ben's getting hungry."

"She was still sleeping when I came through the house." Robin felt the baby's diaper and found it clean and dry. "Looks like you've had a busy afternoon cooking and cleaning. I meant to take care of that laundry last night, but Ben's been extra fussy the last couple of days. Sarah just fell into bed when we finally got him to sleep, and I had some other work that needed doing..."

Mulder put his hand on Robin's arm. "Relax, son. You never have to apologize about housework to me. I still remember how difficult these first few months can be from when Stephanie and Josh were newborns. I was glad to help. Ben had a good long nap, so I had nothing else to do. All I did was "Shake and Bake" the chicken I found in the fridge, and peel a couple of potatoes."

Robin knew that he had done much more than that. "Thanks, Dad. I owe you one."

"You just take good care of my daughter. She needs extra tender loving care and extra sleep so that she can do a good job of mothering my grandson."

"Yes, sir. I'll do my best." Robin refrained from pointing out that as a pediatrician he was well aware of the high needs of new mothers. Nor did he mention that Mulder's daughter was headstrong and often wouldn't ask for help.

Sarah called from the doorway. "Phone for you, Dad. It's Mom. She's wondering why it's taken you so long to go out and buy two quarts of milk and a newspaper." Sarah gave him a knowing smile as he passed her.

Robin gave the baby to Sarah. When she held him up close to her, he started making sucking noises against her neck. She laughed and gave her husband a warm kiss before she went to sit in the rocker. Ben was starting to complain.

"Hang on, sweetie, I'm hurrying. You're a hungry boy, aren't you. There, that's better, isn't it?" Sarah gave a sigh of contentment as Ben latched on and started to nurse vigorously. Robin was watching her fondly. "Did you put the chicken in the oven, Rob?"

"No. Your dad's been playing Fairy Godfather."

Sarah gave him a puzzled look, but didn't have time to ask questions. Mulder came back into the living room.

"Gotta go, kids. Scully's on the warpath." He gave Sarah a kiss on the top of her head on his way to the door.

"Wait, Dad... you never told me the real reason that you came over."

"I told you, I was just passing."

Sarah laughed. "Dad, you're as transparent as a pane of glass!"

Mulder chuckled. "So you're always telling me!" He never had been able to pull the wool over her eyes. "All right - I was thinking that I'd take Ben out for a walk as it's such a nice day, but he needed his nap. I'll make it another time. If that's okay with you." He didn't want to overstep the mark where his grandson was concerned. He knew that it was possible that Robin, or even Sarah, might feel some resentment over the amount of time he spent with the baby.

Sarah noted his worried expression, and her hand came to rest on his arm. "It's okay, Dad. You can spend as much time with Ben as you want." She knew how much he doted on the child. "I'm new to all this, and any help and advice that you and Mom can give me is always welcome. I can't guarantee to always follow it, mind you..." She looked at him sideways, with a big grin on her face.

Mulder moved closer to the rocking chair so that he could put his arm around her shoulders and Sarah leaned into him. He gave her a squeeze, and a kiss on the forehead. "We'll do anything we can to help, you know that. You only have to ask, Sarah."

"That's good, Dad, because I have a favor to ask. Could you babysit for us next Saturday night? There's a hospital fundraiser, and it would be unwise of us not to attend, especially as Robin's department hopes to be a recipient of some of the funds."

"Sweetheart, we'd love to. Those things usually go on until late, so why don't you let Ben stay with us overnight, and then you and Robin can come for brunch on Sunday morning and pick him up then."

"Are you sure, Dad? I don't want to impose..."

"Sarah, you are not imposing! We'll be glad to do it."

"But you and Mom are at that stage where you might like some quiet time on your own," said Sarah.

"Quiet? With Josh in the house?" grinned Mulder. "I don't think that brother of yours knows the meaning of the word!"

Sarah laughed. She had to agree that Josh still had his moments.

"Besides, with Josh busy most weekends, and Steph away, it gets a bit lonely with just your Mom and me rattling around in the house."

Sarah couldn't miss the wistful tone in her father's voice.

"When he's not out with his friends on the basketball team, he's out with some young girl. I swear he has a different one every week!"

Sarah could understand why her brother was popular with the opposite sex, with his good looks, his sense of humor and his easy manner. "Does he ever do any studying?" laughed Sarah.

"I often wonder!" grinned her father. "Your Mom and I are paying out all this money for him to go to college, and I'm just hoping that he'll have something to show for it at the end!"

"Well, Josh has never found studying that difficult - he's like you, he can look at something once and it's imprinted on his brain! He's like a sponge, he soaks up useless bits of information and stores it, never knowing when he might need it. His brain is like a repository for obscure facts and figures... he constantly amazes me."

"He amazes me too," said Mulder fondly. "I wonder how your Mom and I managed to create such a monster!"

At that, father and daughter burst into laughter. The baby stopped nursing and looked up at his mother in surprise, a puzzled look on his face as if he wasn't sure whether to cry or not. This just made the others laugh even more. When they had stopped laughing, Robin took himself off to the kitchen to make a salad, and Sarah switched Ben to the other breast.

"You know, Dad, the thing that amazed me the most was how good he was with Alice. He really brought her out of herself. She really took to Josh."

"I think he enjoyed it, too - he got to be the big brother for once, instead of being the baby of the family. How are things with Alice and her uncle, anyway?"

"Fine. They're doing really well. I had a postcard from her the other day - her uncle has taken her to Disneyland for a week. Alice said that she had sent you all a card, I'm surprised you haven't received it."

Mulder shrugged. "It'll turn up, I'm sure."

Sarah squeezed her father's hand. "I'm so grateful for all that you and Mom did for Alice. I couldn't let her go into a children's home - she deserved so much more than that. I knew that in the right surroundings, and with the right people around her, she would begin to respond, and I was correct. I'll always be especially grateful to Josh, and the way he got through to her. I know that it's unwise to get personally involved with one's clients, but I couldn't help it." Sarah paused. "If circumstances had been different when Mommy died, I could have been Alice."

Mulder kissed his daughter's brow. He knew very well that she had readily identified with the little girl's predicament. The saying, "There but for the grace of God, go I" sprang to mind, and Mulder couldn't envisage what his life might have been like without Sarah, and later Stephanie and Josh, to brighten it.

"So what time should I bring Ben over on Saturday?" asked Sarah.

"Oh, there's no need for that," replied Mulder. "I'll come and collect him."

Sarah opened her mouth to protest, but Mulder wouldn't hear another word. She knew that once he had made up his mind, there was no changing it, so she gave in gracefully.

"Okay, Dad - you win. I'll have everything ready for you when you arrive."

Mulder smiled. "That's my girl."


Saturday soon came around.

"You're looking very chipper this morning, Mulder," remarked Scully, with a smile, at breakfast. Mulder had been looking forward to having his grandson overnight, and he had been busy the night before, making space in their bedroom for Ben's travel crib.

"Well," he grinned, "our grandson is coming to stay. Aren't you looking forward to that?"

"Of course I am," replied Scully warmly.

About 5.30, Mulder decided to head off. He was almost out of the door when he heard, "Wait for me!"

Josh caught up with his father.

"Where do you think you're going?" asked Mulder.

"With you. I thought I'd come along for the ride."

"In that case, you can drive." Mulder handed his son the keys to his car. "And don't drive too fast!"

Josh grinned. "Dad, anyone would think that you don't trust me!"

"Well, it wasn't me that was fined for a speeding violation!"

"You didn't tell Mom, did you?" asked Josh, suddenly anxious.

"Do I look that stupid?" replied Mulder. "First she'd kill you, and then she'd kill me!"

Josh's answer was lost in a squeal of tires, and Mulder was thrown back in his seat as his son pulled out of their drive. Mulder rolled his eyes - he dreaded what the neighbors thought every time Josh took off in a car.

"So, what are your plans for tonight?" Mulder asked after a while. "I suppose it's too

"It's Saturday, Dad - I've got a date." Josh grinned.

"Oh, there's a surprise! Who is it this time?" Mulder was sure that his son never dated the same girl twice. He gave the expression 'playing the field' a whole new meaning. Josh's attachments to his girlfriends were so fleeting that Mulder couldn't even remember the last time his son had brought a girl home to meet the family.

"Cally Morrison."

Mulder looked at his son in astonishment. "Well, she must be something special if she came back for a second date!"

He noticed a faint blush creep up Josh's neck. "She is," answered the boy softly.

"Well, I'm glad, Josh," said Mulder warmly. Then he chuckled.

"What?" Josh took a quick sideways look at his father.

"I was just thinking. Do you remember the time you came to me and asked me to tell you everything I knew about girls?"

Josh's face split into a wide grin. "Yeah, I remember."

"You must have been all of twelve years old!" recalled Mulder fondly. He looked at Josh, and found it hard to believe that the boy had ever been that young - that any of his children had ever been that young. Now they were all grown, and going their separate ways.

"What is it, Dad?" asked Josh, seeing that his father had lapsed into a contemplative silence.

"Oh, I was just thinking about how empty the house is now. I miss having you all around."

"I thought most parents were glad to see the back of their kids once they're grown," said Josh.

"Not me," answered his father. Then he smiled. "I suppose we'll even get rid of you one day!"

Josh sucked in a breath, and regarded his father out of the corner of his eye. "I don't know about that, Dad. I was planning on being around for some time yet!"

"Heaven forbid!" chuckled Mulder.


Sarah let them into the house when they arrived. She was all ready to go except for her dress.

"Hi, sis." Josh kissed his sister's cheek. "Where's that nephew of mine?"

"In the living room, asleep. Don't wake him up yet!" she called to her brother's disappearing back.

Sarah sighed. "Does he ever listen to anything anyone says? Hi, Dad." They hugged.

"Hi, sweetheart. I don't think so. He's never listened to anything I've ever told him!" Mulder wore that wry grin. Sarah and her father went through to the living room and joined Josh. He was standing over the Moses basket, watching Ben sleep.

"He's a handsome little devil, isn't he?" grinned Josh. "He takes after his uncle!"

Sarah punched her brother playfully on the arm. "I think he's starting to look more like Robin," she replied.

"Where is Robin, by the way?" asked Mulder.

"Guess. He should be home any minute. I made some coffee... it's decaf. Would you like some?" The men both accepted and Sarah went into the kitchen to pour it out.

Josh leaned over, and gently ran his thumb across Ben's forehead.

"Josh, you heard your sister... don't wake him up," said Mulder. Josh was definitely his father's son - the mention of the word 'don't' provoked the opposite response in both men.

Sarah came back with the coffee, and set the tray down on a small table.

"So, Josh - to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?" grinned Sarah.

"Nothing - I just thought I'd come along for the ride, see how you are."

"And how's college?"

"Oh, you know - all work and no play!" He grinned widely, and Sarah snorted.

"I would have thought it was more like all play and no work in your case!"

Josh affected a look of feigned hurt. "Sarah Elizabeth Mulder Chalmers - how can you say a thing like that? My own dear sister..."

Mulder burst out laughing. Once these two got going, there was no stopping them. Sarah knew exactly what her brother was like.

"I'd give in gracefully now, if I were you!" said Mulder to his son.

"So, you going to be around tonight, Josh?" asked Sarah.

"Oh, your brother's got a hot date," put in her father.

"Another one? There can't be many girls left that you haven't dated!"

"Don't you start!" Josh rolled his eyes. "Besides, Dad's been looking forward to having Ben all week, and my being there would only cramp his style!"

Mulder spluttered on his coffee as another big grin spread across his son's face.

"I'd like to see you changing a mucky diaper at three o'clock in the morning!" challenged Mulder.

"No thanks, Dad," replied Josh, patting his father's shoulder. "I'm sure you're much better at that than I am, and I wouldn't want to deprive you of the experience!"

Mulder shook his head - the boy had the cheek of the Devil.


They drank their coffee, and the conversation took on a more serious tone.

"I thought I'd visit Granny Mulder next week," said Sarah. "I thought she might like to see Ben."

"I'm sure she'd be thrilled to see you, sweetheart," answered Mulder. A fleeting look of pain crossed his face. His mother was in poor health now, becoming increasingly frail and therefore unable to travel. She hadn't yet seen her great grandson in person, only in a photograph. He took Sarah's hand. "Sarah, you have to be prepared for the fact that she might not recognize you. Her memory is not what it was - she tends to be a little forgetful and confused." Mulder had been shocked at just how much she had deteriorated when he had last visited her. His mother's physician had assured Mulder that his mother's memory loss was as a consequence of her age, and the stroke, and not anything more insidious, like Alzheimer's. Mulder had thanked God for that small mercy. "Just don't get too upset if she doesn't know you, or she thinks that you're Samantha."

"Dad, I know that you don't like the idea, but don't you think that Granny might be better off in a nursing home? I know she has a nurse come in every day, but in a home she would have full time care. I'm always afraid of what might happen if she had a fall at home and couldn't get help."

Mulder knew that what Sarah said made sense, but to agree to his mother going into a home meant accepting the fact that she was going to die, and he didn't know if he was ready for that. He patted his daughter's hands.

"I worry about it, too. She shouldn't really be on her own. I'll discuss it with your Mom... Perhaps she could make some enquiries about suitable nursing homes."

Sarah took in his sad expression. "You know it's the right thing to do, Dad," she said softly.

"Yeah, I know... It's just that I've been so wrapped up in this little one's arrival..." Mulder looked down at Ben, still asleep in the Moses basket, "...that I guess I pushed it to the back of my mind."

"Hoping it went away, you mean?"

"I suppose part of me felt that way," he admitted. "Is that terrible of me?"

"No." Sarah shook her head slowly, and gave him a warm smile. "We all find it hard to come to terms with the fact that our loved ones are going to die eventually. Some just die earlier than others."

Mulder knew that Sarah was thinking of her own mother.

"It's not fair, I know... we expect our loved ones to be there forever. We'll all miss Granny when she's gone but Dad, you'll still have Mom, and me, and Steph and Josh, and now Ben."

Mulder smiled down at his sleeping grandson - he had so much to be thankful for.

When Robin got home they had to wake up the baby. Sarah sat in the rocker to give him one last feed, while Josh and Mulder loaded up the car with all the stuff needed for Ben's overnight stay.

"Have we got everything?" asked Mulder. He looked into the trunk of his car, and saw a pack of diapers, a cooler bag containing bottles of expressed breast milk, the folded up travel crib, Ben's stroller and a small overnight bag containing some clean clothes and toys. Sarah would be taking her cellphone to the fundraiser with her, just in case she was needed in an emergency.

"Don't forget the most important thing!" said Josh, as he came out carrying Ben. The baby was wide awake now.

"Sweetheart, it might be better if you strap him into his seat," said Mulder. He had transferred the baby seat out of Sarah's car into his own.

She smiled at Ben as she strapped him in. "There you are, sweetheart! You can have a nice ride in Papa's car, and tonight you'll be sleeping at Papa's house, with Nanna and Josh. Then tomorrow, Daddy and I will come and collect you!" Sarah stroked his cheek with a finger. This was the first time she had been apart from her son since he had been born, and she felt a little teary and apprehensive about leaving him. Now she understood how hard it had been for her father every time he'd had to leave her. Sarah swallowed. "You be a good boy for Papa and Nanna, okay?"

Sarah felt her father's hands on her shoulders.

"He'll be just fine, sweetheart," said Mulder kindly. It would be different in a few months' time, when Ben was older and that separation anxiety set in every time he had to leave his mother.

"Yeah, I know - he'll be in good hands." Sarah leaned in and gave her son a kiss on the cheek. "I love you, Ben," she said softly.

"Are we ready? Josh, you sit in the back - I'm not letting you drive with Ben in the car."

"I won't be a minute, Dad - I just want to ask Sarah a favor."

Sarah looked suspiciously at her brother as he slipped an arm around her shoulders. "Whatever it is, the answer's 'no'." The look of feigned hurt appeared on Josh's face once again. "You don't know what I'm going to ask you yet!"

"I don't know if I want to!"

"Well, I was going to ask that seeing as you're going out tonight, and you'll probably be going in Robin's car..."

"Don't even think about it, Josh. You are not, repeat not, using my car!"

"Sarah, please!" He loved Sarah's little red sports car. "I'll get down on my knees and beg if you want me to!"

"Now that I'd like to see!" chuckled Mulder.

"I'll take good care of it, I promise." Josh stood there in front of his sister with his hands in unconscious supplication. He glanced enviously at the car again. "It's a real chick magnet," he sighed.

Mulder guffawed - he couldn't help it. There was an expression he hadn't heard in years. No doubt Josh had learned it from some old movie on TV.

"Please?" said Josh again, ignoring his father's laughter.

Sarah sighed. Her brother was nothing if not persistent. "I want it back in one piece, do you hear me?"

"I hear you!" Josh grinned like the Cheshire Cat.

"If there's even as much as a scratch on it, I'll kill you!"

"I'll guard it with my life, I promise."

"Damn right you will, otherwise your life won't be worth living!"

Sarah went into the house and returned with the keys, slapping them down into his hand. "You'd better go before I change my mind." Sarah bobbed down and kissed her son once more. "We'll see you tomorrow, Dad - around eleven."

"Okay. Have a good time, both of you."

Sarah watched as her father drove away with her precious son, followed by her brother. She was still there when Robin came out a few minutes later. He was freshly showered and shaved, and looking very handsome in his good suit.

"Time to put on your dress, Sarah." He had to pull her gently to get her started towards the door.


Scully grinned. Mulder was stretched out on the couch, watching soccer, with Ben asleep on his chest. The little boy lay on his tummy, his face was turned towards her, and his knees drawn up against his body. Mulder's hand moved in small, gentle circles on the baby's back.

"Are you two quite comfortable?" she asked.

"We're just fine, thank you," answered Mulder. "Where's that son of ours?"

"Getting ready for his big date, what else? You men are worse than women when it comes to getting ready for a date!"

Scully perched herself on the edge of the couch seat and caressed Ben's soft hair.

"Did I take that long to get ready for dates?" asked Mulder.

"I don't know - we never went on any!" replied Scully with a grin. "We seem to have missed that stage of courtship completely!"

"We did, didn't we?" grinned Mulder. "I'll make it up to you, Scully. How would you like to go out on a date next week?"

"Sounds tempting. What did you have in mind?"

"Hmm... How about a quiet dinner for two, in one of DC's finest restaurants, followed by..."

"Yes?" Scully's eyebrows had shot up, and Mulder gave her the rakish smile.

"Well, let's just see how it goes, shall we? If we're lucky, we might even get the house to ourselves, and then... who knows!"

Robin sucked in a breath when Sarah appeared. She looked beautiful. She had almost recovered her figure after the birth of Ben, thanks to some swimming and gentle exercising. She wore her hair a little shorter now, but it still swept her shoulders, and tonight she had curled it under. Her makeup was light and flawless, the red lipstick she wore complimenting the red of her dress. Other than her wedding and engagement rings, the only other jewelry Sarah wore was a pair of gold knot earrings and a simple gold bracelet that Robin had given her to celebrate Ben's birth.

"How do I look?" she asked.

"I wish we didn't have to go," said Robin wistfully. Every day he counted himself lucky to wake up beside this beautiful woman.

Sarah laid her palms against his chest, leaned forward and brushed her lips against his. It was all Robin could do not to wrap his arms around her and not let go.

"Maybe we can get away early," she said softly, and giving him a smile that left him in no doubt as to her meaning. "We can always say that we have to get home for the babysitter."

"I'm all for that," replied Robin, nuzzling her neck.

"Then the sooner we leave, the sooner we'll be home."

Robin held Sarah's coat as she put it on. As he settled it over her shoulders, her fragrance overwhelmed him. He couldn't resist nuzzling her neck again. She moved backwards and leaned into him, silently asking for more. He could hardly keep his hands off her.

"Are you prepared for where this might lead?" he asked softly.

"Yes," whispered Sarah. She turned and snuggled closer. "Are you?"

His hands were stroking her back. He knew that once he kissed her, he would be lost. "We're already late."

Sarah closed her eyes as Robin's lips came down on hers. Then he lifted her and carried her back into the bedroom.

"How do I look?" asked Josh.

"Very handsome," answered Scully. She took in his smart but casual pants and jacket. "Where are you and Cally going?"

"There's a new Italian restaurant in town - we thought we'd try it out."

"Well, have a good time."

Mulder had been studying Josh's mode of dress very carefully.

"Josh, where did you get that tie?" he asked.

"From your closet," grinned the boy.

"I thought it looked familiar," sighed Mulder.

Josh looked at the clock. "Gotta go!"

Scully followed her son to the door. "Be careful, and don't drive too fast in Sarah's car. And if you come home late, don't make too much noise - remember that Ben will be asleep."

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. I gotta go, Mom." Josh leaned down and kissed her cheek. "Have fun with Ben!"

"What makes you think that I'm going to get a look in!" asked Scully. But Josh was already climbing into Sarah's car, and the ensuing squeal of rubber set Mulder's teeth on edge.

"Peace at last!" Mulder smiled, and bounced Ben gently up and down on his lap. "It's just you and me and Nanna!" There was time to play with Ben before he had his bath and feed then went to bed. Sarah had given her father strict instructions as to her son's bed time routine, and he intended to follow it to the letter.

Mulder sat on the couch with Ben tucked into the crook of his arm. In his hands he had a small book with brightly colored pictures of animals on each page, and he was going through it with Ben. Scully could remember him doing the same with Stephanie and Josh. Each night, he would take them through a different book - the alphabet, numbers, animals, modes of transport, foods - the range was endless. Of course, as babies, they couldn't understand a word their father said, but it was the contact, the interaction with his children, that Mulder relished. And it was a useful introduction to the world of books. Both Stephanie and Josh, in common with Sarah, had developed a love for the written word, and had been proficient readers at an early age.

"Mulder, I'm going to get Ben's bath ready," said Scully.

"Okay," answered Mulder, looking up. He lifted his grandson, and bounced him on his knees again. "Shall we get you ready for your bath?" Mulder rested Ben against his right shoulder and went to find Scully.

He found her in the kitchen, a large plastic bowl full of warm water waiting on the table. Bath time had been one of Mulder's favorite rituals - when Stephanie and Josh had been small they had usually shared a bath with their mother or father, so they had never really had the need for a baby bath.

Mulder carefully undressed his grandson. "Do you want to bathe him, or shall I?" he asked.

"You can do it, Mulder. I'll get his milk ready."

Mulder slung a towel over his right shoulder, then placing one hand beneath Ben's shoulders and another under his bottom, he lifted the child and lowered him gently into the water. Mulder supported Ben under the shoulders, and let him get used to the water. Then he started to cup the water and wash it over the little boy.

"There... is that nice?"

Ben kicked his little legs, making the water splash.

"You like that, don't you?" Mulder continued to scoop the water over Ben, then taking a very soft cloth, he washed him very carefully. Removing the towel from his shoulder, Mulder laid it on the changing mat that Scully had placed on the table, then lifted Ben out of the water and wrapped him in it. "We don't want you to catch cold, do we?" Mulder dried Ben gently, making sure to reach all the little nooks and crannies that babies possessed. He fluttered the tips of his fingers on the soft skin of Ben's tummy, then blew a gentle raspberry against it. Ben's arms and legs went in all directions. Mulder chuckled, smoothed a little talcum powder onto his grandson, then put him into a fresh diaper. Lastly, he dressed Ben in a pale blue all-in-one sleep suit. "There - all clean and fresh and ready for bed!"

"Milk's done," announced Scully. She took it through to their bedroom and sat in the small armchair in the corner. The only illumination was the bedside lamp on Scully's nightstand. Mulder handed Ben to her, and she offered him the bottle of his mother's milk. He suckled hungrily, barely stopping for air, causing Scully to remark that the little boy had the Mulder appetite. Mulder grinned, and crouched down beside her. He inhaled the scent of talcum powder and freshly bathed baby.

"Do you remember that smell, Scully?" Mulder asked softly.

"I certainly do," she replied, a soft smile lighting up her face. Mulder was reminded of all those Madonna and child paintings that hung in art galleries the world over.

"I love you, Scully," he said softly, looking up into her face.

"I know, Mulder. I've always known." She put the empty bottle on the floor and took his hand. "I love you, too."

Scully sat with Ben in her arms for a while longer, just to make sure that he was asleep, then transferred him to the travel crib. She laid him down carefully and drew the covers over him.

"Does Sarah leave a light on in the nursery?" asked Scully.

"No - she leaves the nursery door open a little, and a light on in the hall."

Scully nodded, then kissed her fingers and touched them to Ben's cheek.

"Sleep tight, Ben," she said softly. Mulder took his turn at saying goodnight, then they made their way out of the bedroom.

Sarah and Robin let themselves into their house. He closed the door, locking it and sliding across the deadbolt, then helped Sarah take off her coat. She kicked off her shoes with a sigh of relief.

"I thought we'd never get home," she yawned.

"Well, we could hardly arrive late and leave early. That would really have made the tongues wag," smiled Robin. He followed Sarah into the kitchen. She was pouring milk into a pan.

"You want a warm drink?" she asked.

"No thanks."

Sarah put the pan on the stove, and took a mug from the cabinet. "I wonder how Ben is," she pondered aloud. "Do you think I should call Mom and Dad?"

"No, I don't. He's in good hands, Sarah. Your Mom and Dad raised three kids of their own, and your Mom's a qualified MD - what more could you ask for? Ben will be fine, and they have our number if they need us." Robin came over and put his arms around her. "He's probably fast asleep, with your Dad watching over him."

Sarah smiled at that image. "Well, I think I'll soon be joining him," she said, with a yawn. She poured the warmed milk into the mug. "I'm exhausted."

"I know, I'm sorry. Esther Charteris is chair of the hospital board, so I couldn't very well just up and leave while she was talking to me. She's very supportive of the work we're doing in pediatrics, and we need someone like her to fight our corner for us, especially when it comes to allocating funds."

"She's a formidable woman, I'll say that. I wouldn't want to cross swords with her!"

Robin chuckled.

"What?"

"You know, she reminds me of your Mom in a way. She can be very formidable when she wants to be!"

Sarah thought about that for a moment. "I never really considered it, but I think you're right." She smiled. "But there's more to Mrs. Charteris' interest in peds than meets the eye!"

"What do you mean?" Robin gave her a puzzled look.

"She likes you - don't tell me you hadn't noticed?" Sarah was grinning all over her face.

Robin looked horrified. "Oh, God... you don't mean..."

Sarah was openly laughing now. "I can't say I blame her... you are rather attractive... I can see how a woman like her could be easily swayed by your looks and charm..."

"Like you were, you mean?" Now it was Robin's turn to grin.

"I'll have you know I played hard to get!"

"Yeah, right - for at least an hour!"

They laughed together, remembering the night they'd first met. Robin kissed Sarah's cheek.

"Come on, let's go to bed."

They walked hand in hand to the bedroom, stopping just inside the door. Sarah slipped her arms around her husband and kissed him.

"I love you, Robin," she whispered.

"I love you too."

Sarah was quiet for a moment.

"What is it, honey?" asked Robin, his hand stroking her cheek.

Sarah sighed. "I'm so tired. I'm glad that we made love before we went. I don't think I would have the energy for it if we had waited until we got home."

Robin kissed her warmly. "I appreciate the fact that you went at all. I know you didn't really want to, and I know you were reluctant to leave Ben." He led her over to the bed and made her sit, then started to gently undress her for the second time that night.

"It's funny... I feel I should be checking on Ben," said Sarah, obediently raising and lowering limbs as the clothes came off. "I can't get used to him not being in the house. I know he's only six weeks old, but it's as if he's been here forever."

"I know, I feel the same," he replied as he slid her comfy old cotton nightgown over her. "Before long, we'll be wondering what life was like before he came along." Robin pulled her to her feet. "Now I want you to stop worrying and enjoy your little holiday." He gave her a push towards the bathroom. "Go and wash up. You look beat."

Robin took his turn at washing up, and by the time he came back into the bedroom, Sarah was fast asleep.

Scully woke with a start when she heard Ben cry, but Mulder was already half way out of the bed.

"It's okay, Scully - I'll go." He reached down and lifted the weeping infant into his arms. "That's right... come to Papa," he crooned softly, stroking the soft thatch of dark hair on Ben's head. Mulder smiled - this brought back memories. He glanced at the clock. "I guess it's time for another feed." With his grandson resting against his shoulder, Mulder made his way to the kitchen.

When the bottle was ready, he took it through to the living room. He didn't want to disturb Scully any more than she had already been disturbed. Mulder sat in an armchair and proceeded to feed Ben. He'd noticed that the porch light was still on - they'd left it for Josh. Then he saw headlights sweep across the front of the house and heard a car engine shut off. A car door closing, feet on the path, a key in the door.

Seeing a light on in the living room, Josh put his head around the door.

"Dad," he said softly. "What are you doing?"

"What does it look like? I'm feeding your nephew." Mulder glanced down at Ben. "At least, I'm trying to. He doesn't seem to be very interested. Where have you been? It's after two."

Josh had come into the room, and now leaned over, stroking the baby's hair. "I was out with Cally, I told you."

"Till this hour?"

"Come on, Dad! You were young once... Surely you can remember what it was like to spend the evening in the company of a pretty girl?" Josh grinned.

Yes, Mulder could and that's what worried him. Don't go there, his mind told him. He gave a disgruntled 'humph.'"You can't tell me you've been at the restaurant all this time."

"After we left the restaurant we went for a drive. And... well, you know." Josh shrugged, looking sheepish.

"I don't know if I want to know," answered Mulder, smiling down at Ben. "I'm not making a big deal out of it, it's just that we worry about you."

"Yeah, I know. I'm sorry, Dad."

"It's not me you should apologize to, it's your mother."

Ben was gazing up at Mulder and gurgling. Mulder put the bottle on the side table. It was still full.

"Can I hold him for a while?" asked Josh.

"If you like. Here - put this over your shoulder, just in case he burps on you." Mulder handed Josh a small towel, then the baby.

"Hey there, little fella," said Josh softly, his hand moving in slow circles on Ben's back, just like he'd seen his father do. He moved about the room, speaking softly as he did so. Mulder sat quietly and watched them with a full heart.

"You'd better get to bed, Josh."

"Yeah." He handed Ben back to his grandfather. "Night, Ben. Sleep tight." He kissed the child's forehead. "Night, Dad."

"Night, Josh."

Mulder and Ben were alone once more. Mulder had always liked this time with his children - in the dead of night when all was quiet. He took Ben across to the window, drawing back the curtain slightly. Mulder looked up to the star studded sky.

"Look up there, Ben - look at all the stars." Holding onto Ben with one hand, Mulder pointed upwards. "See that star up there, that's the North Star. And there's the Great Bear..."


Scully wondered where Mulder had got to. He must have finished the feed by now. She'd heard Josh come in, heard him and his father talking, then heard him go to his room. So where were Mulder and the baby? She sat up and pulled her robe up from the bottom of the bed, slipping it on and tying it as she made her way to the living room. When she got to the doorway she stopped - there were Mulder and Ben, stargazing. She stood and watched them quietly for a while, listening as Mulder spoke softly to the child.

"... and when you're older, I'll teach you the names of all the stars in the sky." Mulder touched his lips to Ben's forehead. "Come on, little man - let's finish your milk before Nanna comes looking for us."

He turned, and saw Scully standing in the doorway. "Scully, what are you doing there?"

"Watching you," she answered softly. "I heard Josh come in. How was his date?"

"I don't know," replied Mulder. "I didn't ask. I was more concerned about where he'd been until this hour."

"I hope you didn't give him a lecture."

"No, I didn't... I just pointed out that we worried about him."

Scully nodded. "So where had he been?"

"He and Cally went for a drive after they left the restaurant."

"Oh." Scully could remember dates like that. They seemed so far away now - distant memories of more carefree times. Not that she would swap those days for what she had now.

Mulder was sitting in the armchair again, and offering Ben the bottle. The baby latched on eagerly, but only for a few seconds. Then he started to cry.

"He doesn't seem to want it, Scully. Maybe he's just not hungry."

"It's been hours since his last bottle. Let me try."

Scully changed places with Mulder. Without thinking she held the baby low, against her breast, and he turned his face towards her, his pink mouth open and ready, making little noises of anticipation.

"Oh dear. I'd say he's definitely hungry." Scully's brow furrowed in concern. "I'm sorry sweetie, I can't nurse you. I didn't mean to get your hopes up." She stroked his cheek with the bottle nipple and Ben zeroed in on it, but after only tasting it, he started to cry in earnest.

Mulder was sitting on a footstool, drawn up close to Scully's knee. "What's the problem, Scully? Should I warm it up again?"

"No, I don't think it's that." She shifted the red faced bundle to her other side, and tried to coax him into taking the bottle. "Some breastfed babies just won't accept an artificial nipple."

"But it has breast milk in it, and he took it earlier." Mulder sounded affronted.

"Well, he's not taking it now." Ben was waving his arms about and howling his hunger. "Think about it Mulder... which would you rather drink from... a cold, hard piece of smelly rubber, or a soft warm breast that comes equipped with your favorite scent and your favorite voice?"

Mulder gave a lopsided grin. "When you put it that way..." He grabbed hold of one of Ben's active little feet. "I'm glad to see that you are a man of discriminating taste, Benjamin, but we just don't have your regular brand on tap." He looked up at Scully. "I hate to have to wake Sarah. She could really use an uninterrupted night's sleep."

"I don't think it will come to that. Here... you see if you can calm him down again, while I see what I can figure out."

They went into the kitchen and closed the door so that Josh's sleep wouldn't be interrupted any further. Mulder walked around and around the room with the baby on his shoulder, patting his back and singing quietly. Scully went digging in drawers and cupboards. The baby cried.

"Okay. Sit down, Mulder. Let's see if this works."

Mulder sat in the wooden armchair at the head of the table and surveyed Scully's handiwork. A clean baggie of breast milk was hanging from an upper cupboard doorknob. Grafted to its bottom with duct tape was a length of IV tubing complete with a flow valve.

"I don't know, Scully. It looks like a sixth grade science project, and one that failed at that."

Scully gave him a warning flash of her blue eyes. "You remember that movie 'Born Free'? The one about the lioness?"

"Yeah."

"Do you remember how they got the lion cubs to eat by putting milk on his thumb and letting the cubs suck it off? Try putting your baby finger in Ben's mouth. See if he'll suck on it."

Mulder did as he was told. Much to his surprise, Ben sucked on his finger with more enthusiasm that he had shown for the rubber nipple.

"That's great. Now... let him keep sucking while I just slip this little tube in beside your finger..." After she got the plastic tube well into the baby's mouth she opened the valve just a little and the milk began to flow. Ben swallowed a mouthful... and another. Soon he was sucking and swallowing in a regular rhythm, his mouth clamped firmly around Mulder's finger. Gradually Ben's eyes closed, and his little body relaxed.

Scully was crouched down watching the baby closely, a smile of delight on her face as the level of the milk in the bag went steadily down.

"Did you know this would really work, or did you just luck out?" Mulder asked softly.

She gave him her Agent Scully look. "It seemed like a reasonable hypothesis."

He leaned over and kissed her. "Beautiful, brainy, and lucky, too. I'm glad you're on my side, Red."

Her cheeks flushed with pleasure as she stood and busied herself with tidying away the tools and the extra tubing.

When Ben stopped sucking, Mulder walked him some more.

"See if you can get him to burp," Scully advised. "He probably took in more air than he would normally."

She had barely finished speaking when Ben gave a belch that would have done a construction worker proud. Mulder had Scully both giggled, but Ben slept peacefully on.

They headed for their bedroom.

"This is like old times, Scully," said Mulder as he laid Ben into the crib.

"Yes, it is, Mulder." She stood beside him, holding onto his arm. He saw Scully smile.

"What?"

"You haven't lost your touch," she observed.

Mulder grinned, and put his arm around her shoulders. "It's like riding a bike, Scully - once you learn you never forget."

They slipped beneath the bed covers, and Mulder took Scully in his arms. In truth, he was nervous. It had been a long time since there had been a baby in the house, and he felt like a new parent all over again. But this time Mulder felt the burden of responsibility that much more, for this was his daughter's child, and if anything happened to him while he was in his grandparents care, Mulder would never forgive himself.


They lay together in companionable silence. Scully wasn't asleep - he could tell by her breathing.

"Mulder, I think you should have a talk with Josh," she said at length.

"What about?"

"All these girls."

"Scully... what do you expect me to say? Josh is a healthy young man... what can I do? He just loves women, in any shape or form."

"Were you like that at his age?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?" Scully could hear the amusement in his voice. "Let's just say I had my moments."

"I'm sure you did," said Scully drily. "Mulder - he really needs to start knuckling down and taking things seriously. He's the complete antithesis of Sarah - she was so focused, she knew exactly what she wanted in terms of her career and life goals. But Josh... he just drifts from day to day, taking each one as it comes."

"It's the way he is, Scully... nothing that I say or do will change that. And he does have a serious side... he was very supportive of Stephanie when she was going through that thing with Paxton." he said the name with distaste. "I'm ashamed to say this, but he surprised me with his maturity and insight... it was a revelation to find out that our son had those qualities." Mulder was quiet for a moment. "If I hadn't listened to him, I think that Steph would be lost to us today." He gave an involuntary shiver as he thought of that unpleasant episode in their lives.

"I was so proud of the way he came through for Steph, " said Scully. "Josh is such a contradiction in terms, Mulder... he has the best and the worst of both of us."

"My contribution to this mixture being the worst part, of course!" Mulder chuckled. "He definitely has your common sense, Scully, although he might not show it very often." He gave her a gentle squeeze. "If it will make you happy, I'll have a talk with him. I don't think you need to worry - he'll grow up one day."

Scully snorted. "Well, if your example is anything to go by, I'll have a long wait!"


The hours crept by. Mulder lay in bed, listening to Ben snuffling in his sleep.

"What is it, Mulder?" Scully's soft enquiry made him start.

"I thought you were asleep," he answered in a low voice.

"There's not much chance of that with you fidgeting beside me!"

"Sorry... Scully, do you think Ben's all right? He seems to be snuffling an awful lot."

"He's fine, Mulder. Babies do snuffle a lot, or had you forgotten?"

"I guess I'd forgotten. This brings back so many memories, Scully. I used to listen out for Sarah when she first came to live with me. I know she wasn't a baby, but I was just as nervous as if she had been. At first, I couldn't get used to having someone else in the house, and then I used to listen out to make sure she was still breathing."

Scully had heard it all before, of course, but she liked to hear him talk of the early days of his and Sarah's life together. She slid out of the bed.

"Where are you going?" asked Mulder.

"To have a look at Ben." She knew Mulder wouldn't rest until he knew that the child was all right. She peered down into the crib. Ben was fast asleep on his back. The covers had moved a bit, so Scully carefully pulled them back over him, then made her way back to bed.

"He's fine, Mulder." She slipped back in beside him and laid down.

"If you're sure, Scully..."

"Mulder, go to sleep. You can't stay awake all night listening out for Ben. You'll be exhausted in the morning."

If anyone had any thoughts about sleeping in the next morning, they were sadly mistaken. Ben took it into his head to wake up the entire household with his crying. Mulder was out of bed like a shot, lifting the child out of the crib.

"Hey, what's the matter?" he crooned softly, rocking Ben gently in his arms.

"I'll go heat up a bottle," said Scully. She still looked half asleep. "Maybe if we're lucky, he'll take the nipple this morning."

In his room, Josh pulled the pillow over his head to shut out the noise.

By the time Scully had come back from the kitchen with the bottle, Mulder had changed Ben's diaper and was sitting up in bed with the child in his arms. Scully got back in beside him. At least the crying had stopped. She had forgotten just how loud a baby's cry could be.

"Here, Scully - you feed him. I need to go to the bathroom." Mulder passed Ben to her, and she settled him in the crook of her arm and offered him the bottle.


Luxury. Sheer luxury. Sarah lay in bed, her eyes closed. She wasn't asleep, but she wanted to preserve the illusion just that little bit longer. She felt well rested and relaxed after an uninterrupted night's sleep.

Sarah rolled onto her back and slowly opened her eyes. Another pair of dark eyes connected with her own.

"Good morning," said Robin softly. "You finally decided to join the land of the living."

"What time is it?" she asked.

"Seven fifteen."

Nearly seven hours... Sarah couldn't remember the last time she'd slept for seven hours straight. She turned towards Robin, sliding one hand around his neck. "Don't I get my morning kiss?"

"I take it you slept well," he said as he complied. She smelled of sleep and perfume.

"Yes, thank you. I hope Ben slept well at Mom and Dad's."

"I'm sure he slept just fine." Robin chuckled softly. "I just hope that Mom and Dad slept well with Ben in the house!"

Sarah nodded. "Me too." She smiled a lazy smile. "It's so nice having the morning to ourselves. I was wondering if you wanted to take advantage of that."

Robin hesitated. "I'd love to, but I think we have a problem." He pulled the covers part way down.

"Goodness..." Sarah looked at the front of her nightgown in surprise and alarm. It was soaking wet. With milk! She cupped one breast and winced. They were swollen and very tender.

"I think you need Ben more than you need me," Robin said with regret.

"On no," she wailed. "I should have expressed some milk last night. I was just so tired I didn't even think of it." She raised her eyes to his. "I'm so sorry, Rob, but they do hurt."

"Hey, it's okay, Sarah. There'll be other times."

"Maybe I could express some milk now..."

"No. When they're engorged like that, the gentlest and least painful remedy is to simply let the baby nurse, and the sooner the better. I hope your parents won't object to an early morning visit."

Sarah was still looking unhappy. Robin's fingers ran through her hair.

"It doesn't matter."

"Are you sure?"

"Sarah," he said softly. "I'm sure."

Mulder brushed noses gently with his grandson. Ben had stayed in Mulder and Scully's bed after his morning feed. He had taken only half the milk before he rejected the bottle again, but he seemed content for the moment. They had been playing with him for almost half an hour. Now Mulder was lifting the child up and down in the air - something that Ben clearly enjoyed.

"Sarah looked so tired the last time I saw her," said Mulder, smiling at the little boy.

"Well, you know what's it's like with a new baby. Last night was probably the best night's sleep she's had since Ben was born." Scully tickled her grandson under the chin and smiled at him. "Even so, I bet she still missed this little man!"

Suddenly Scully sniffed the air and wrinkled her nose.

"I think your grandson needs changing," she said.

"Oh, I see - as soon as there's an unpleasant job to be done, he's my grandson!" He grinned, then took Ben in his arms. "Okay - let's get you cleaned up, young man. Then we'll go and wake up your uncle Josh!"

Mulder took the baby to the bathroom, and filled the basin with warm water. He took off the soiled diaper and cleaned Ben up a little, then finished the job with clean water. He dried him off, tickling his tummy gently and blowing more raspberries. Scully watched from the doorway - Mulder was loving every minute of being a grandfather.


Mulder knocked lightly on Josh's bedroom door. A mumbled 'Go away' came back at him. Mulder grinned and went in anyway. The sight that greeted him rendered him speechless. His son's room looked like a bomb had hit it. Clothes and sports kit were strewn around the furniture and the floor, several half empty mugs of cold coffee were placed about the room and sunflower seed husks were scattered around the computer and on the floor nearby. If Scully saw this mess, she would have a heart attack.

"What time is it?" mumbled Josh, from his pit of a bed.

"Seven thirty," replied Mulder. "I was wondering if you were thinking of getting up any time soon."

"In a minute. Was that Ben crying this morning?"

"Who did you think it was? Your mother? Of course it was Ben!"

"Do babies always make that much noise?"

"Only when they're hungry, or tired, or..."

"Okay, Dad... I think I get the picture. Remind me never to have any." At last Josh began to stir. He sat up and rubbed his eyes, then his gaze fell on his nephew. "And as for you, you little monster..." Then Josh smiled, seeing Ben's gummy grin. How could he stay mad at that endearing little face?

"Well, I'm going to make some coffee, so if you want some, you'd better haul yourself out of that pit." With that, Mulder turned to go. When he reached the door, he stopped and looked over his shoulder. "A word of advice before I go - get this room cleaned up. If your mother sees it looking like this, you'll be dead meat."

Josh knew that his father wasn't joking.

"Dad, I think Ben needs changing."

Josh had been entertaining his nephew while his parents prepared for the family brunch that was planned for later that morning.

"Well," said Mulder, with a wicked grin, "now's your chance to learn how to change a diaper."

Josh pulled a face - he'd well and truly walked into that one.

"Okay, what do I have to do?"

Mulder winked at Scully, who was doing her best not to laugh.

"Well, first of all, you have to get the soiled one off."

"How do I do that?"

"I'll instruct you as we go along."

Josh managed to get the diaper off with the minimum of fuss, and then proceeded to clean the baby up. He had just finished that when a fine spray of liquid hit the front of his shirt. Josh jumped back quickly.

"Mom! He peed on me!"

Josh looked so aggrieved that Scully couldn't help but laugh. Mulder didn't help matters either.

"That means he likes you!" he announced with a smile.

Josh pulled the damp fabric away from his skin. "Now I'll have to change my shirt!" he scowled. He started to walk away.

"Er, just a minute... haven't you forgotten something?" asked Mulder.

"What?"

"You haven't finished changing Ben yet."

"I'm not going within a hundred feet of that little monster!" declared Josh.

"Oh, Josh - a little bit of pee won't hurt you!" said Scully. "Come on, finish the job - you've done well so far." She felt he needed that little bit of encouragement.

A few moments later, the job was done, and Ben rested in his grandmother's arms.

"There - nothing to it!" said Mulder, grinning. Josh glared at his father, and stalked off to his room to change his shirt, his parents' laughter echoing in his ears.


"Hello - anybody home?"

Mulder and Scully came out of the kitchen at the same time.

"Sweetheart!" exclaimed Mulder, putting his arms around her and giving her a hug. Scully was doing the same to Robin. Neither of them noticed Sarah's grimace of discomfort.

"Hi, Dad."

"Did you have a good time last night?"

"Yes thanks."

Mulder turned his attention to Robin. "It's good to see you, Robin," he said warmly.

"Thanks, Dad. It's good to see you, too."

Mulder grinned. He still wasn't used to Robin calling him 'Dad.' He'd started calling him it just after he and Sarah had been married - it had been Scully's suggestion. Robin had come to her one night and asked how he should address her and Mulder after he and Sarah were married. She was happy for him to call her 'Mom,' but she wasn't sure how Mulder would want to be addressed. Robin knew that it would be more than his life was worth to call his father-in-law by his given name, and he knew he wouldn't be comfortable calling him 'Mulder' either. So he had agreed to Scully's suggestion of calling him 'Dad.' He'd never forgotten Mulder's expression the first time he'd called him that - he had looked so taken aback. Mulder might not be used to it, but he kind of liked it. He'd never let on to Robin though.

"So, where's Ben?" asked Sarah anxiously.

"Josh took him out for a walk," replied her father.

"What?" cried Sarah in mock horror. "You mean there's a maniac on the loose, and he's got my son?"

Scully laughed. "He's not that bad, Sarah. Oh, I have to tell you... Josh was changing Ben this morning and Ben peed on him! You should have seen Josh's face!"

They moved into the living room and Mulder brought coffee for everyone, decaf for Sarah.

"You kids are supposed to be sleeping in. What are you doing over here so early?"

Sarah gave an embarrassed laugh. "I needed Ben. I couldn't wait any longer."

Mulder didn't understand. "I would have thought that you'd be glad to have a lazy morning, or is it that you just don't trust us." His wink let her know that he was just teasing.

"No, Dad. You know I trust you." Sarah threw a pleading glance at Scully. "I need Ben. I need to nurse him."

Scully understood. "Mulder, step out and see if Josh is coming back yet." She pulled him gently out of the room. "I think I'll phone Stephanie and tell her that brunch has been moved up a couple of hours."

"What's up, Scully? What's wrong with Sarah?" Mulder asked as soon as they were out of the room.

"Nothing's wrong. Her breasts are full of milk, that's all, and it hurts. Remember that time Steph bit her tongue and went on a nursing strike? My breasts got so engorged they were hard, and they ached terribly. I'm sure Sarah isn't in that bad a state, but she hasn't nursed Ben for over twelve hours. She needs him."

Now that Mulder understood he was all concern. "I'll drive down to the park... that's probably where Josh went... and I'll bring him and Ben right back."


"Hi everyone. I hear you're looking for this little guy?"

A grinning Josh appeared at the door with Ben in his arms. Mulder stood behind him.

"How was your walk?" asked Scully. "I'm pleased to see that you brought Ben back in one piece!"

"We had a great time, didn't we, Ben?" He smiled down at the child in his arms.

"Where did you go?" asked Robin.

"Just up to the park and back."

"Then how come you've were gone for so long?" asked Mulder.

A sheepish look crossed Josh's face. "Well, I bumped into that blonde that lives at number 321. Dad, she has the most amazing green eyes..."

Mulder grinned. "So what's her name?"

"Alison... Alison Hendricks."

"Does that mean you won't be seeing Cally again? Is she going to end up as another notch on your belt?"

"Oh no, Dad - she's still very much in the frame..." Josh laid a hand on his father's shoulder and grinned. "... but you know me - I like to keep my options open!"

"When you two have quite finished, do you think I could have my son back?" Sarah was up on her feet. She was anxious to have her son in her arms again.

"Sure." Josh handed Ben back to his mother, and Sarah promptly sat in the armchair and put him to her breast. Ben drank eagerly and Sarah breathed a sigh of relief.

"You know, maybe I'll take Ben with me next time I visit the mall - women seem to love a man with a baby!"

"Joshua William Mulder, you are incorrigible!" declared Sarah. She was staring lovingly into her baby's dark eyes as she caressed his chubby little legs and kissed his tiny pink toes. It was wonderful to have him back where he belonged. She didn't think that she'd be leaving him again soon. "And by the way, how's my car?"


They were still sitting chatting when they heard, "Hello! Where is everybody?"

Stephanie came into the room.

Sarah beckoned her sister closer and gave her a one armed hug from where she still sat in the armchair. They hadn't seen one another for a couple of weeks.

"Steph - you look great!"

Steph looked tanned and sleek after a short vacation in Cozumel with a girlfriend.

"Did you have a good time? Did you meet anyone?" Sarah was eager to hear all her sister's news.

"I had a wonderful time," answered Stephanie. "And that's all I'm prepared to say!"

"Spoilsport!" Sarah grinned at her sister - she'd find out all the gossip later.

Stephanie looked down at Ben. He was still sucking in his sleep. Robin had reminded Sarah to move the baby to the other breast while he was still hungry enough to give her some relief.

"How's my nephew? I've been looking forward to seeing him. Has he ever grown since I saw him last!"

"He's doing really well. Seems none the worse for wear after spending the night with his grandparents. And believe it or not, our dear brother even took him out for a walk."

"What? Are you sure that's a good idea? I wouldn't put it past Josh to leave him under a tree and forget about him, as soon as the first pretty girl goes by."

"Oh, for goodness sake, you two - Josh is not that bad!" chuckled Scully.


Mulder stood just outside the living room door. He was watching Stephanie, who was trying to get Ben settled in his bed. The baby looked very smart in his color blocked all-in-one. Stephanie was pacing slowly, crooning to him. She looked so happy - one day she would make a wonderful mother. She couldn't wait until she could have Ben overnight. Steph laid him in the Moses basket, but he didn't want to settle - he was restless and on the verge of tears.

Mulder walked into the room just as she started to sing.

"Two and two are four,
Four and four are eight,
Eight and eight are sixteen,
Sixteen and sixteen are thirty two

Inch worm, inch worm,
Measuring the marigolds,
Why don't you stop and see
How beautiful they are."

Steph slowly stroked the baby as she sang softly to him in her clear voice.

"Haven't heard that one in a while," said Mulder, with a smile, sitting down beside her on the sofa.

"I remember when you used to sing it to me," answered Steph. "I used to love that song."

"You wouldn't go to sleep until I'd sung that and about half a dozen others!" Mulder chuckled at the memory. He slipped his arm around her. "You okay, Stephanie?"

She nodded. "I'm fine, Dad."

"Sure?"

"Sure." Steph smiled, and Mulder kissed her cheek. "I'm just enjoying spending some time with my nephew."

"Yeah... he's something else isn't he?" Mulder took hold of Ben's tiny hand.

"He certainly is," said Steph softly.


They sat around the big farmhouse table in the kitchen. Everyone was talking at once - Steph and Sarah catching up on one another's news, Robin laughing at one of Josh's awful jokes. Sarah had already told her father that she was going to make a stop in Boston when she took Ben to visit Granny Mulder.

"I want to visit Mommy's grave. I want Ben to know about her... about us."

"I think that's a wonderful idea, sweetheart," Mulder had said warmly.

Sarah was pleased - she could always count on her father to support her.


Mulder eyes travelled around the faces at the table. How had he ended up being so lucky, having all these people to love, and having them love him back? Sometimes he still couldn't believe how lucky he was, how lucky he was that his life had turned out this way. As Mulder looked around the table, he recalled Scully's words - "The best is only around the corner." How right she had been.

The End

Read More Like This Write One Like This
Stepkids list
Kids with Others list
Pregnant Others
Grandpa Mulder and Grandma Scully
A Day at Grandma and Grandpa's Challenge Picture It Challenge
When The Wind Blows Challenge
One Each Way Challenge
Return to The Nursery Files home