Title: Sarah Companion - Mulder Spice
Author: Carol Gritton
Disclaimer: Fox Mulder, Dana Scully belong to Chris Carter, 1013 Productions and Fox TV. They are used without permission and no infringement of copyright is intended.
Archiving : Please archive at Gossamer; anywhere else please ask first. Thank you!
Rating: G
Classification: S R (Mulder/Scully married)

Summary: Mulder and Scully prepare for their first Christmas as a married couple, and Sarah prepares to strut her stuff at the school's end of term talent show. However, not everything goes smoothly and there are a few bumps along the way.

Author's Note: This story takes place after "Treading The Boards", and before Geri Halliwell (Ginger Spice) left the Spice Girls.

Comments gratefully received at the above address.


"I don't know why Annie bothered playing classical music to Sarah when she was in the womb," grumbled Mulder as the Spice Girls boomed out of the CD player for the third time that day. "It obviously didn't work."

Scully laughed. "Oh, Mulder Sarah's just like any other girl her age. You can't tell me that you didn't have a favourite group when you were young? and I bet you used to play their music just as loud."

He shifted about in his seat, and Scully knew she'd hit the nail on the head. "But why does it have to be the same CD over and over again? It's not as if it's the only one she possesses! And why so loud? I can barely hear myself think!"

"Now I know you're getting old, Mulder. Who bought it for her, anyway?"

He looked decidely sheepish. "I did."

Scully shook her head. Mulder, ever the architect of his own misfortune. She was about to say something when he rose abruptly from the kitchen table and went to the door.

"Sarah, turn that down, please. We're trying to have a conversation out here." He almost had to shout to make himself heard.

"All right, Daddy."

"Thank you."

Five minutes later, the music was just as loud and Mulder's head was about to start pounding in time with the beat. This time he got up and went into the living room. Sarah was dancing around, lost in the music, but she still spotted her father marching across to the CD player.

"What are you doing, Daddy?" she cried in alarm, stopping in mid bounce.

"I'm turning this off."

"No, Daddy!" Sarah ran to the book case and positioned herself in front of the player in an effort to stop him from reaching the buttons. "I want to listen to the music."

"I'm sorry, Sarah. It's too loud and it's giving me a headache.

I've asked you to turn it down, more than once, and I'm not going to ask you again."

"I'll turn it down, Daddy, I promise."

"No, Sarah. You've had enough of it today." Mulder had had enough of it to last him a lifetime. He pressed the stop button and ejected the CD, slipping it into its case. "You'll have to find something else to occupy yourself."

"That's not fair, Daddy! You're mean." A pronounced pout and scowl marred Sarah's pretty features.

"Well, I guess that's something I'll have to live with," answered Mulder as his daughter stomped off to her room.

Sarah was one excited little girl when Mulder arrived home the following Monday evening. He'd hardly got through the door before she was jumping up at him, a sheet of printed paper in her hand.

"Guess what, Daddy!"

"Whoa, sweetheart!" he chuckled. "Let me take my coat off. Don'

t I get a kiss?" Sarah duly obliged and Mulder hung up his overcoat, then made his way into the living room, heading for the sofa and sitting down. Sarah followed and curled up beside him, leaning into his embrace. "Now what did you want to tell me?"

"I'm going to be in the Christmas talent show!" A huge smile lit up Sarah's face. "There's prizes for the best acts."

"What Christmas talent show is this?" asked Mulder, stroking her arm.

"At school, Daddy." Sarah handed her father the printed sheet.

Sarah's school usually put on some sort of entertainment twice a year at the end of the summer semester and at Christmas. Sarah was always an enthusiastic participant in these events the previous summer she had taken the part of a rat in the school's production of "The Pied Piper."

Mulder digested the contents of the note from Sarah's teacher.

"Mrs Lucas says we can do whatever we want," said Sarah.

"And what do you think you'd like to do, sweetheart?"

"The Spice Girls!"

Mulder groaned inwardly. Now he'd have to listen to that infernal music even more. "All of them?"

"Don't be silly, Daddy!" snorted the little girl. "Vanessa, Carla, Lucy and Cindy are going to be in it too."

"Oh, I see. Who's going to be who?"

"Vanessa's going to be Sporty, Lucy's going to be Posh, Cindy's going to be Ginger, Carla's going to be Baby 'cause she's the smallest, and I'm going to be Scary!"

"You're that all right," laughed Mulder, giving her an affectionate squeeze and kiss. "Come on let's go and see what your mom's cooking up for dinner."

"Did you speak to your mom about Christmas?" asked Mulder as he and Scully cleared away the dinner things that evening.

"Mulder, this house is nowhere near ready to receive guests,"

answered Scully. They had moved into the 'big house' as Sarah called it, several months beforehand, but with their work commitments, they'd hardly had time to unpack and get straight, let alone decorate. The house was already in good decorative order when they moved in, but Scully was anxious to stamp their own identity on the place. And now the festive season was approaching faster than they would like. The plan was to invite Margaret Scully for Christmas and Teena Mulder for New Year.

"It's your mom, Scully," said Mulder, sliding a plate into the dishwasher. "Not the Queen of England. She won't mind a little mess."

"Define 'a little mess,' Mulder. Somehow I think your definition is a lot broader than mine."

Mulder stood with his hands on his hips and rolled his eyes.

"Nag, nag, nag. If I'd known this was what you were really like, I'd never have married you." He grinned at her.

"Let me tell you, Mulder you were lucky to get me."

"Inundated with marriage proposals, were you?" he sniped.

"I had my share of offers," Scully replied airily. "But you presented a challenge that was hard to resist." She paused. "That and the fact that no one else would have you!" She jumped out of the way smartly as he flicked a tea towel at her.

"So what do you think about this Spice Girls idea of Sarah's?"

asked Mulder, as he poured out the after dinner coffee. Sarah was happily ensconced at the computer, in the messy little room her father had commandeered for his office, checking out the Spice Girls web site that she had found with his help the day before.

"I think it's wonderful, Mulder. She's so excited by it she was telling me all about it on the way home from school." Scully smiled fondly. "One of the things I love about Sarah is her enthusiasm she throws herself wholeheartedly into every new challenge. Nothing ever fazes her, Mulder. That's something she gets from you."

"Not just me, Scully," he replied, handing her a coffee. "She gets it from her mother, too. Annie always met a challenge head on.

She thrived on it? it was something else to see her in action."

"You must have been a formidable pair," smiled Scully, sipping her coffee.

Mulder chuckled. "I don't know that we were ever a pair. Annie was too hot to handle at times, even for me." He paused reflectively.

"I think that's why she made such a good job of raising Sarah on her own. She wouldn't allow herself to fail failure was an option she never entertained. Annie could be very hard on herself at times."

The more Scully learned about Sarah's mother, the easier it was for her to see why any relationship between Mulder and Annie would have been doomed to fail. The fact that they were so much alike accentuated their incompatibility, and Scully had no doubt that a marriage between Annie and Mulder would have been fireworks all the way.

"So who was it, Scully?" asked Mulder as they lay cuddled in bed together that night. "David Cassidy or Donny Osmond?"

"What are you talking about, Mulder?"

He nudged her. "Come on, you can tell me. Who was it who decorated your bedroom wall when you were young?"

"Don't be silly, Mulder."

"Are you telling me you didn't have an idol you swooned over and worshipped?" His teeth flashed as he grinned at her. "Or are you telling me that you were above all that?"

"I'm not going to get into that with you, Mulder."

"Aw, come on, Scully. Don't be a spoilsport."

Scully remained resolutely silent.

"From your silence, I can only conclude that the object of your youthful worship was none other than Little Jimmy Osmond," said Mulder, trying to keep a straight face.

Scully thumped him with her pillow.

It was just Scully and Sarah the next evening Mulder was working late at the office on a consult.

"Can you help me find a song on the Net, Mommy?" asked Sarah.

"Sure, sweetheart," smiled Scully. "Is this your Spice Girls song?"

"Yes. We're going to sing 'Wannabe'."

"Did you all agree on that?" Scully stood to one side as Sarah sat at the computer and switched it on.

"I chose it, 'cause I'm in charge," replied Sarah, while the machine booted up. Scully chuckled she could well believe it.

They soon found what they were looking for. Scully printed off a copy of the song's lyrics for the little girl. "I can photocopy this for you if you like, Sarah. You can have a copy each and we can highlight the sections that each of you have to learn. That'll make it much easier for you all to learn the words." The little girl was enthused by that idea. "Is there anything else you'd like to look at while we're on line?"

"No thank you." Sarah looked up at her new mother. "When will Daddy be home? I want to see him before I go to bed."

"I don't know, sweetheart. Soon, I hope." Scully leaned over and kissed the child's hair. "I'll tell you what you have your bath now and then we'll have some hot chocolate. Would you like that?"

Sarah rewarded Scully with a toothy grin, and she laughed softly. "I thought you might. If you see to the computer, I'll go run your bath."

Scully and Sarah sat close together on the new sofa that had been purchased just after they'd moved into the house, their feet on the coffee table in front of them. As a special treat, Scully had toasted a few marshmallows to go with the hot chocolate and they ate them as they chatted companionably about what Sarah had been doing at school that day. Then the conversation took a more serious turn.

Sarah bit into her last marshmallow, chewed on it thoughtfully then asked, "When are we going to have a baby? Now that you and Daddy are married you can make one."

Scully smiled, ran a hand over Sarah's glossy locks and pulled her close. "Sweetheart, it's not as easy as that. It takes time to make a baby."

"How long?" Sarah ran the tip of her tongue over her top lip, to clean away the chocolate moustache that had formed.

"Some people are lucky and only have to wait a few months, but for other people it can take a couple of years."

"Why?"

"Because everybody's different, and sometimes people don't want to have a baby right away."

"Don't you want one now?" asked the little girl.

Scully squeezed Sarah's shoulders. "Daddy and I talked about it and we thought we'd like to wait a little while. We thought it would be nice for the three of us to get used to living together first."

She smoothed the child's hair and kissed her brow. "I promise, Sarah - you'll be the first to know when we're going to have a baby."

Time rolled on, and there was still no sign of Mulder when it came to Sarah's bed time. The little girl looked tired Scully had allowed her to stay up an extra half hour in the hope that Mulder might come home in time to see his daughter, but it wasn't to be.

Scully settled Sarah into her brand new bed, with its brand new bedding. Mulder and Scully had promised she could have a new bed now that she had a larger room. Scully arranged the covers around Sarah's shoulders then sat on the edge of the bed facing her. She enjoyed this nightly ritual as much as Mulder did, and she was glad of the opportunity that his late homecoming had given her to indulge in it.

She reached out and smoothed the hair away from Sarah's brow.

"Will you tell Daddy I said goodnight?"

"I'll tell him, sweetheart."

"And give him a kiss from me, and tell him I love him?"

"I'll do that, Sarah." Scully leaned over and kissed her new daughter. "Goodnight, sweetheart. Sleep tight. I love you."

"I love you too, Mommy."

Scully smiled, waited a few moments then rose, turned out the nightlight and left the room. Returning to the living room, she settled herself on the sofa to await her husband's arrival.

The soft click of the front door jolted Scully into wakefulness.

She peered at the carriage clock on the mantel and saw that it was 11.00 p.m. She sat up and stretched, then walked out into the hall, to find Mulder hanging up his overcoat.

"Hey," she said softly, standing on tiptoe to give him a welcome home kiss. "How come you're so late?"

"I'm sorry, Scully. There was a development on the case and I couldn't get away. I should have called you, I know, but all hell broke loose and it was just impossible."

"You're home now, that's all that matters. Would you like something to eat?"

Mulder shook his head. "I'm way past the point of hunger, Scully."

"How about a hot drink?"

"Yeah? some tea would be nice." He stroked her back and kissed her. "I can't tell you how good it is to be home, Scully."

Scully smiled. It was good to have him home. "I'll go make that tea."

"I'll go look in on Sarah while you're doing that."

They went their separate ways Scully to the kitchen and Mulder to his daughter's bedroom. He pushed the door open and slid in quietly, making his way to her bed. He sat down on the very edge and just took in the sight of her. Sarah lay on her back, her arms thrown out to the sides. She twitched, then jumped slightly a sure sign that she was dreaming, and Mulder hoped that whatever she was dreaming about was pleasant. Sarah took a deep breath, then turned onto her side, curling up into a ball.

"Mulder, your tea's ready," whispered Scully. She came into the room and stood beside him, her hand on his shoulder.

"The picture of innocence, huh Scully?" said Mulder. He looked over his shoulder into his wife's tired face.

"A bit like you when you're asleep, Mulder." They chuckled together softly.

"Was she upset that I wasn't home by the time she went to bed?"

"Not really. I let her stay up an extra half hour? on the off chance that you'd make it home earlier. She said to tell you goodnight and that she loves you. And she wanted you to have this."

Scully kissed Mulder's cheek. "I'll let you say goodnight, Mulder."

She slipped out as quietly as she'd come in, leaving Mulder alone with his daughter. He leaned forward and brushed the hair away from Sarah's cheek, then dropped a soft kiss there.

"Goodnight, sweetheart. Sleep tight. I love you." Another kiss, and then he withdrew.

Mulder joined Scully on the sofa to partake of his tea.

"So how's your case going, Mulder?" asked Scully.

He sighed and leaned his head on the back of the sofa. "Can we talk about something else, Scully? I don't really want to talk shop tonight."

"All right."

He gave her a grateful smile. "Tell me what you and Sarah got up to this evening."

"We spent a little time on line Sarah wanted to get the words to the Spice Girls song that she's going to perform."

"Which one is it?" asked Mulder, not that he knew one of their songs from another.

"'Wannabe'," replied Scully. "I asked if that was a democratic choice, and Sarah said that she chose it, because she's in charge."

She smiled broadly, and Mulder laughed.

"You know, Scully, I don't think the others know what they've let themselves in for." He chuckled again, and sipped his tea. "So what else did you do?" He slipped an arm around Scully's shoulders and she leaned against him.

"Well, as a treat, we had hot chocolate and toasted marshmallows after Sarah's bath."

"Living it up behind my back, huh." Mulder's smile was a tired one.

"And we had a little chat." Scully took Mulder's hand in hers.

"Sarah wanted to know when we were going to have a baby."

Another tired smile. "That figures." His eyes met Scully's.

"What did you tell her?"

"That we'd talked about it and decided to wait a little while, until we'd all got used to living together. And I said that she'd be the first to know when the time came."

Mulder nodded. "And Sarah was happy with that?"

"As far as I know. She didn't mention it again."

Mulder nodded again, drained his tea and yawned. "C'mon, Scully.

Let's call it a night." He stood and offered her his hand. Scully rose and took it, and he wrapped an arm around her waist. They made their way to their bedroom, switching off lights as they went. "You know, Scully - what you said about me getting old the other day I think you're right. I can't take these late nights any more."

Scully's soft laughter rippled in the night. "Come on, old man let's get you to bed for your beauty sleep."

"How's your Spice Girls routine coming along, Sarah?" asked Scully the next evening, as she and the little girl prepared dinner together. "Did you give everyone a copy of the song words?"

Sarah nodded. "We have to do a lot of practise. Mrs Vanderhelm said that we can practise at her house. Can we practise here sometime, Mommy?"

"I don't see why not," answered Scully, smiling down at the child. "But I think you should discuss it with daddy first." She didn't want to agree to it unilaterally Mulder was still expecting to work a few more late nights and Scully wasn't sure that he'd want to come home to a house full of energetic little girls and blaring music.

Sarah buttonholed her father as soon as he was through the door that night, remembering to give him his welcome kiss first. "Mommy said I should ask you if we can practise our routine here. Mrs Vanderhelm said we can practise at her house and?"

Mulder chuckled and rested his hands on his daughter's shoulders.

"Slow down, sweetheart, we've got all night. Let me say hi to mommy first and then we can talk about it in the kitchen." After greetings had been exchanged, Mulder and Sarah made a start on setting the table. "So, sweetheart what did you want to ask me?"

Sarah patiently explained the conversation she'd had earlier with Scully, and asking again if she and her friends could practise their routine in the Mulder household sometime.

"I don't see why not, Sarah. Have you thought about taking it in turns to practise at one another's houses?"

"No, Daddy." The little girl looked up at her father as if he was the cleverest man in the world, which of course he was, as far as Sarah was concerned.

"Do you think that's a good idea, sweetheart?"

Sarah nodded her head vigorously. "But I don't think we could practise at Vanessa's house 'cause they don't have much room."

"Well, you might have practised so much that your routine will be perfect by then," replied Mulder taking three dinner plates out of the kitchen cupboard.

"When can my friends come over, Daddy?" Sarah followed him back to the table, carrying the salt and pepper.

"We'll have to discuss that with Mommy after dinner." He looked up at Scully and she nodded her agreement to his suggestion.

"Speaking of dinner, Scully it smells good. What is it?"

"Chicken, mushroom and white wine casserole," she replied, testing the rice that was cooking on top of the stove. "It's almost ready."

"Good. We're starving, aren't we, Sarah?" Mulder smiled and hugged his daughter, making Scully chuckle. When were they ever not starving?

After dinner, Mulder and Scully agreed to allow the girls to come back after school one afternoon and practise their routine. Scully would arrange it with the other mothers when she dropped Sarah off at school the next day. Sarah was one very happy little girl when her father put her to bed that night.

Although Mulder loved the time he spent with his daughter, he also relished the time he and Scully were able to spend alone. It was all part of learning to live together as a happy family unit. While he had been seeing to Sarah, Scully had been making coffee in the kitchen. Mulder wandered back into the living room and flopped down on the sofa, his head resting on the back of it. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw a couple of sheets of paper lying on the far cushion, so reached out and picked them up. They were the words to the song that Sarah was learning. Mulder read them through, and tutted when he reached the end.

"What's that you've got there, Mulder?" asked Scully placing their coffee on the end table and sitting down.

"The words to that song Sarah's learning." He gestured to her with the paper. "Have you read it, Scully? It's nothing but repetitive drivel."

"It may seem that way to us, but Sarah and her friends like it.

And the fact that it's repetitive makes it easier to learn."

"And listen to this: 'If you wanna be my lover you gotta slam your body down and wind it all around.' Do you really think that this is suitable for seven year old girls, Scully?"

"Are you talking about seven year old girls in general, or just Sarah?"

"Obviously my main concern is for Sarah," answered Mulder defensively. "Is that wrong, Scully?"

She smiled and reached out, taking his hand. "Of course it isn't, Mulder. It's entirely right that she learns about sex in a loving and moral context. For what it's worth, the girls probably have no idea of the meaning of the words. They like the sound and they like the beat the words are secondary to all that. I don't think they really pay that much attention to the lyrics." She patted his wrist.

"Stop fretting about it, Mulder, and drink your coffee."

Mulder couldn't help it he wanted to raise his daughter in the right way, and everything about her stirred his protective instinct.

"In other words, shut up and stop over reacting," he grinned.

Some days later, Mulder pulled into the driveway, coming to a halt behind his wife's car. He didn't get out right away, but sat there, just gazing at the house. His home. Their home. Mulder smiled and sighed with contentment, his eye drawn towards the glossy leaved wreath that hung on the door Sarah had insisted they buy one when they went shopping the previous weekend and the welcome lights that glowed in the living room window. In time the window would also be home to the Christmas tree. A warm feeling flooded Mulder's veins.

He was really looking forward to this Christmas the first in their own home, and their first as a proper family. With that thought, he got out of the car, locked it and headed for the house.

"Hello!" Mulder closed the front door and dropped his keys on the little hall table, just as Scully appeared from the living room.

"Hi," she said, stretching up to kiss him.

"What's going on?" asked Mulder, hearing the chattering and laughter coming from the kitchen.

"The Spice Girls are rehearsing," she smiled.

"In the kitchen?"

"No, Mulder at the moment they're having something to eat. I ordered in some pizzas."

"Scully, when we bought this house, I didn't envisage it becoming a disco cum restaurant!"

Scully laughed and slipped her arm through his. "Come on, Mulder come and say hi to your fan club."

"Huh?" He looked at her in amazement.

"Your fan club, Mulder. The girls have been dying for you to come home."

He stopped suddenly and turned to face her. "Please tell me you're pulling my leg, Scully."

She fought the urge to laugh out loud at his panic stricken expression. "Don't tell me you're afraid of a few little girls, Mulder." Ignoring his protests, she pushed him forward.


"Good evening, ladies." Mulder gave the girls a big smile, which was met by much embarrassed giggling and whispering from behind small hands.

"Daddy!" cried Sarah happily, while the others chorused "Hello, Mr Mulder" in perfect unison.

"How's everybody doing?"

Answers ranged, in between more giggles and whispers, from "Fine" to "Very well, thank you."

"So, have you all been practising hard?" asked Mulder, his hand resting lightly on the top of Sarah's head.

"We've been practising every day," Carla informed him.

"At school and at home," added Lucy.

"And yesterday we went to Cindy's house," volunteered Vanessa.

"Practising make us hungry," declared Cindy, "so Mrs Mulder sent out for pizza."

"Working makes me hungry, too," said Mulder, and he leaned over and snatched a slice of pepperoni from Sarah's pizza.

"Hey!" cried Sarah indignantly. "Get your own!"

"Yours tastes better," he grinned, licking his fingers. Scully rolled her eyes.

"Daddy, you didn't put any grapes in my lunchbox today." Sarah wore an aggrieved pout.

"Oh dear - do I detect signs that the Mulder Catering Corporation is falling down on the job?" chuckled Scully.

"I made you a nice chicken salad sandwich, gave you a delicious yoghurt, a lovely crisp red apple and a couple of clementines, what more could you ask for?"

"I wanted grapes, Daddy."

"I didn't know we had any grapes," protested Mulder, leaning on the back of his daughter's chair.

"You couldn't miss them, Mulder open the fridge door and they're right there in front of you, in the white bowl," said Scully.

Mulder rolled his shoulders and said defensively, "It was early, Scully I wasn't fully awake." That was his story and he was sticking to it. "Anyway, Sarah not having grapes today means you can have more tomorrow."

"Well, I want Mommy to do my lunchbox tomorrow 'cause you might forget again," said Sarah.

Scully chuckled. "There you are, Mulder the consumer has spoken. Come on, let's leave them to eat in peace." She led him out of the kitchen.

"But what about my dinner, Scully? I am going to get fed tonight, aren't I?" There was an air of desperation in his tone and the girls giggled. They all thought that Mulder was very funny, having gained that reputation following his antics at Sarah's birthday party.

"Of course you are. We'll eat when the girls have finished."

After ice cream, the girls trooped back into the living room.

Scully was in the kitchen, cooking steaks for herself and Mulder.

"Daddy, you can't stay in here. You have to go into the kitchen," announced Sarah.

"Can't I watch you practise?" asked Mulder.

"No, Daddy!" Sarah looked horrified at the very idea. "It's a secret. You can't see our routine until the show. Not even Mommy is allowed to see it."

"Okay, but I want you to rest for ten minutes before you start dancing, to let your dinner digest."

"All right, Daddy."

Mulder pushed himself up off the sofa. "I'll leave you to it and go and help Mommy." He wandered out to the kitchen, leaving the girls alone. Scully set him the task of making the salad and dressing to accompany the steaks. They could hear the girls laughing and chattering, and then after exactly ten minutes had passed, the music blared out of the CD player. Mulder was just about to march in and turn it down when the volume lowered.

"I told Sarah that she couldn't have it loud after dinner," said Scully.

"Thanks, Scully," smiled Mulder. "I don't think my nerves could stand it."

"Why don't you go to bed early tonight, Mulder?" Scully had to admit that he looked tired. She also suspected that he'd had one or two nights recently where he hadn't slept very well. He'd certainly been up well before dawn that morning.

"I might well do that, Scully. Would you come and tuck me in?" he said, leering at her.

"I might, if you behave yourself," she grinned.

"Behave myself? Where's the fun in that?" His smile stretched from ear to ear and he slipped his arms around her tiny waist. "You never told me married life was all work and no play, Scully."

"I didn't want to shatter your illusions too early on," answered Scully with a big smile.

Mulder turned serious. "Are you happy, Scully?"

"What if I said no?" She saw a fleeting look of panic cross his face.

"Are you saying that you're not happy?" Mulder strained to keep his tone light.

"No, Mulder I'm not saying that at all. I am very happy? I wouldn't be here if I wasn't, you can be assured of that."

Mulder sent a silent prayer heavenward and his heart stopped racing in his chest. A few moments later they sat down to eat and as Mulder helped himself to the salad he asked, "Scully, does it bother you that I'm working these late nights?" It was beginning to bother Mulder, not that there was much he could do about it. Somehow things had seemed a lot easier when he and Scully were unmarried and maintained separate homes.

"Obviously I would prefer you to be home, but it's the nature of the work. I can't say I didn't know what I was getting into when I agreed to marry you." Scully smiled and squeezed his hand. "It could so easily be the other way around I could be out to all hours slicing and dicing."

"But do you mind being left here with Sarah?"

"Good Lord, Mulder of course not." Scully couldn't imagine where these ideas of his came from sometimes. "I'm enjoying the opportunity to be with her and experience being a proper mom."

"Are you saying that you'd give up your career to be a full time mother?"

"Maybe one day, Mulder, but not at this moment. I enjoy my work, and I enjoy being with you and Sarah. We're a proper family now. I think it's logical for me to want to spend some time getting accustomed to that, don't you?"

Mulder nodded, and signalled the end of that particular topic of conversation with, "So what can I expect in my Christmas stocking this year, Scully?"

They were still discussing Christmas gifts as they cleared the table after their meal. Scully was in the process of telling Mulder what she'd like to buy for her mother when she suddenly realised she was alone and talking to herself.

"Mulder?"

"Out here, Scully," came the whispered reply. She went out into the hall and saw her husband with his eye to the crack in the living room door.

"What do you think you're doing?" she demanded, her hands on her hips.

Mulder beckoned to Scully. "Check this out," he said in a low voice.

"You're not supposed to see, Mulder. Sarah will be very upset with you if she knows you've been spying on her."

"I'll be quick and discreet, Scully. She'll never know."

"Mulder?" Scully's tone was a warning one.

"Just come and look," he urged.

They both peered through the narrow crack in the door jamb and saw Sarah dancing and singing in perfect unison with her idols.

Scully chuckled. "She knows all the moves, Mulder."

"Yeah," he grinned. "That's my girl!"

A freshly bathed Sarah clambered up onto her bed and sat beside her father, a large flashlight in her small hand.

"Shine the flashlight there, Sarah." Mulder indicated a spot on the wall opposite her bed. "Hold it steady now." He then interlocked his thumbs and fluttered his fingers. "What's this?" he asked.

"A bird!" cried Sarah joyfully.

"That's right," smiled Mulder. "What about this one?" He made another shape with his hands.

"That's a rabbit!"

"You're too good at this, sweetheart," grinned Mulder, giving her a gentle squeeze.

Sarah looked up at him. "Can you do a fox, Daddy?"

"I can try." Mulder rearranged his hands again and held them in front of the flashlight beam. "How's that?"

Sarah looked at it from all angles, finally declaring, "It doesn't look right, Daddy."

Scully heard the giggling coming from Sarah's room as she let herself back into the house after running the rest of the Spice Girls home. Intrigued, she just had to investigate. She found Mulder and his daughter huddled on the little girl's bed, in the dark, apparently playing with a flashlight.

"What are you two up to?" she asked.

"Hey, Scully everyone get home all right?" asked Mulder, looking up at her.

"Yeah all delivered safe and sound." She nodded at the flashlight. "So what's going on here?"

"Daddy's making shadow animals!" said Sarah excitedly. "Come and see!"

Scully settled herself on the bed beside Sarah.

"Show Mommy the fox, Daddy," urged the little girl.

Mulder contorted his hands once again and held them in front of the flashlight.

"I'm impressed, Mulder," said Scully.

"Daddy can do a bird and a rabbit, too!" The little girl gazed up at her father adoringly. "Show Mommy the other animals."

"All right, but then it's into bed for you, young lady. It's getting late."

"But I'm not tired, Daddy," protested Sarah.

"No?" he asked in mock amazement, hiking his brows. "I thought you'd be exhausted by all your rehearsing tonight." Sarah shook her head, her long single braid flying from side to side. "Okay, I'll make a deal with you. After I show Mommy the other shadow animals, you get into bed and I'll read you a quick story. How about that?"

"Can I choose the story?" asked Sarah.

Mulder made a great show of sucking in a deep breath, as if the little girl was driving a hard bargain. He let it out slowly. "All right."

"I'd like "The Rainbow Fish," please."

"I think I can manage that," smiled Mulder. "Let's shake on it shall we?" Father and daughter shook hands and sealed the deal.

It was past eleven o'clock when Mulder let himself into the house a few nights later. He was tired, removing his overcoat wearily and loosening his tie as he made his way slowly into the living room. He had just flopped down onto the sofa and switched on the TV when Scully came into the room.

"Hey," said Mulder softly, his hand reaching up over the back of the sofa.

"I thought I heard the front door," she said, leaning over to kiss him. She was dressed for bed and smelled fresh and clean. "I was in the shower."

"I wondered where you were." He reached out and took her hand, smiling tiredly; his thumb stroking her palm.

"Have you eaten?" Scully's other hand ran over his hair.

"I had something earlier."

"Really?" Scully knew how prone he was to skipping meals when working.

"Really." He rested his head on the back of the sofa, and Scully took in his tired looking complexion and the dark circles beneath his eyes.

"Mulder, you look exhausted. Why don't you have a shower and go to bed?"

He shook his head. "Too tired to shower - I'm afraid I might fall asleep in there. I'll shower in the morning."

"Come to bed, Mulder."

The grin was a weary one. "You coming on to me, Scully? I don't think I could stay awake long enough?"

"Just come to bed. You need to get some rest."

Mulder sighed. "In a minute." He picked up a Spice Girls magazine that Sarah had left on the sofa, the page marked with a large cross. "What's this doing here?"

"Sarah and I were looking through it earlier for costume ideas."

The singing and dancing parts of the routine were almost perfect, and now it was time to think about what Sarah should wear.

"Is this page marked for any particular reason?" he asked as Scully perched beside him.

"Yes. Sarah wants a costume similar to that one."

Mulder looked again at the picture of Scary Spice, dressed - if that was the word - in a tiny skirt and top, her midriff bare; and shook his head.

"No, Scully."

"What do you mean, 'no'?"

"I mean I'm not having Sarah parading around dressed like that."

"Mulder, it's just for one night. We'll buy something cheap and it won't matter if she only wears it the once."

"Scully, my daughter is not going out of the house dressed like that!" His voice started to rise, as did his wife's when she replied.

"For goodness sake, Mulder - it's only for one night! And it's not as if Sarah will be parading through the streets. She can wear the things for dressing up afterwards."

"I said no, Scully!" Mulder's voice was loud and angry. "Next you'll be telling me that she wants to go the whole way and have a tongue stud and eyebrow ring!"

"Keep your voice down - you'll wake Sarah!" Scully took a moment to calm herself. "Look, you're tired - we'll talk about it again tomorrow."

"I'm not going to change my mind." The determined set of her husband's jaw told Scully that he meant what he said.

"Mulder, please - don't spoil it for Sarah. She's worked so hard on this. It's really important to her. We really should talk about it before?"

"Scully, Sarah is seven years old - that?" He waved his arm wildly, searching for an appropriate word. "? attire is not suitable for a girl of her age."

"Fine, Mulder," fumed Scully, now standing, her hands on her hips. "I'll let you tell her that she can't have the costume she wants." Scully started to walk briskly out of the room.

"Where are you going?" asked Mulder.

"Bed. Goodnight, Mulder."

Deserted, Mulder leaned his head against the back of the sofa and sighed deeply. The last thing he needed was to come home to an argument, and then go to bed with the matter unresolved and bad feeling between him and Scully. He leaned forward, his elbows on his knees, and rubbed his hands over his face. Sometimes it was hard being a parent - doing what you think is right to protect your child.

Sometimes unpopular decisions had to be taken? so why did Mulder feel like such a villain? Because you're about to ruin your daughter's happiness, said that little voice inside his head, and she will never forgive you for it.

There was a distinct frost in the air over breakfast the next morning. It had been bad enough when Mulder had finally gone to bed and found Scully's back turned towards him - he had tried to engage her in conversation in an effort to explain the reasons for his decision over Sarah's costume, but she cut him off with a curt, "Goodnight, Mulder."

She glared at him across the table as he drank his coffee.

Mulder sighed and put down his cup.

"Scully?"

"I hope you know what you're doing, Mulder," she cut in briskly.

She stood up. "I'm going to wake Sarah. I trust you're not going to leave it too long before you tell her - it should be sooner rather than later."

"I'll tell her tonight," answered Mulder. He saw Scully's sceptical expression. "I will, Scully - I'll tell her tonight."

Mulder stayed long enough to see Sarah eat her breakfast before he left for work. He had to get out - the little girl was bursting with excitement over the forthcoming shopping trip to get her costume, completely oblivious to the icy atmosphere between her parents.

Later, Mulder was relieved when Scully was called away to perform an autopsy - he couldn't stand the oppressive silence in the basement any longer. Sighing heavily, he turned his attention back to the slides he had been showing her just before she was called away, and tried to put all thoughts about the unpleasant task of addressing his daughter out of his mind.

Taking a deep breath, Mulder inserted his key into the lock.

Immediately he was met by the flying whirlwind that was his little girl.

"Daddy!"

Mulder had to react quickly as Sarah jumped into his arms.

"Hello, sweetheart." He hugged her and kissed her as she squeezed his neck. "Wow, that was a big hug!" He pulled back and smiled at her, smoothing her hair with one hand and supporting her with the other.

Then he hugged her tightly again.

"You're squashing me, Daddy," said Sarah.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. Let me put you down so that I can take off my coat." The little girl slid to the floor and Mulder hung up his overcoat. "So, Sarah - no rehearsal today?"

"No, Daddy," replied the child as they made their way hand in hand into the living room. Mulder thought it wise to steer clear of the kitchen for the time being - he couldn't be sure that Scully's mood had improved since that morning. "We're going to Carla's house after school the day after next."

"I see." He couldn't help notice the glow of enthusiasm whenever Sarah talked about this project and suddenly he felt like the Grinch and Scrooge all rolled into one. Figuring he'd hidden from his wife long enough, Mulder forced a smile and patted his daughter's knee.

"Come on, Scary - let's go see what's for dinner."

Sarah dominated the conversation over dinner, then she helped her father to clear the table and load the dishwasher before they went to join Scully in the living room.

"Can I go on the computer, Daddy?" asked Sarah, hopping up to join him on the sofa.

"In a minute, sweetheart. I want to talk to you about your costume." Mulder picked up the magazine, clearing his throat.

"Sarah, I don't think this is really suitable as a costume."

"Why not, Daddy?" The little girl had moved to the edge of the cushion.

"Because you're too young to wear clothes like this. I'm sure there must be something else in here that you could wear." Something not so revealing, he thought silently.

"But I like this one. Scary always wears things like this,"

protested Sarah.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart, but I don't want you wearing anything like this."

Sarah leapt off the sofa and glared at her father, her small hands balled into tight fists. "You're mean, Daddy! You never let me do what I want!"

"That's not true, Sarah. I?" began Mulder quietly.

"Mommy would have let me wear it." Sarah's tone was sullen and accusatory.

Scully winced involuntarily - she knew how deeply it wounded Mulder when Sarah threw Annie in his face.

"Sarah?"

"You spoil everything! I hate you!" The little girl's face was twisted with anger and Mulder fervently hoped that they were not about to witness a tantrum like the one Sarah had had before. He tried to reach out but Sarah twisted away from him.

"Go away! I hate you! I HATE YOU!" With that, the little girl fled to her room, sobbing loudly and slamming the door behind her.

"Mulder? Are you okay?"

His face was white with the shock of Sarah's words. She often called him names and told him he was mean when he reprimanded her, but never had she told him that she hated him.

"I'm, I'm fine, Scully." He looked up at her. "Isn't this where you say 'I told you so'?"

"You must have known that she'd be upset," answered Scully quietly. She didn't want to get into another argument with him.

"Maybe now might be a good time to tell me why you don't want her to wear that costume."

"Sarah's just a little girl, Scully - I want to preserve her childhood as long as I can. I just don't want to see her cavorting around dressed like that. It's far too provocative. You know the kind of people that are out there, Scully? you know the sort of material that ends up on the Internet? Who's to say that there won't be some sick bastard at the school performance taking pictures of all the children?"

"Don't you think I share those concerns, Mulder?" replied Scully.

"Do you? I'm not so sure."

"Well, for what it's worth, I do; but in this instance I think you're wrong. No, hear me out, Mulder." Scully raised her hand to silence him. "This performance is extremely important to Sarah she's invested a lot of time and effort into it. She's doing her best to make it as authentic as possible and we should support her in that.

She's going to be on stage for probably less than five minutes - the rest of the time she can wear her sweat pants and top over the costume, so it's not as if she's going to be parading up and down in it."

"I hear what you're saying, Scully, but I've made my decision.

As much as it hurt Sarah, I think it was the right one. I just hope that she'll forgive me one day." Mulder took a shaky breath and ran a hand over his face. "You heard what Sarah said, Scully - she hates me."

"She didn't really mean it, Mulder. She was lashing out in her anger and frustration. You shouldn't take her words to heart." Scully knew that was just what her husband had done. "It won't be forever, Mulder - in a few days everything will be back to normal. It will all blow over."

"I'm not so sure, Scully." Mulder stood up. "I'd better go to her - I don't like to leave her crying."

Scully put a hand on his wrist. "It might be better if I go."

Mulder nodded. "All right."

Scully tapped lightly on her daughter's bedroom door.

"Sweetheart, it's me. Can I come in?" There was no response, just the sound of Sarah sobbing. "Honey, I'm coming in." Scully found Sarah curled up on her bed, crying into the pillow. She sat down and gently pulled the little girl into her arms and held her, rocking slowly, caressing her hair and kissing her cheek. "Sshh? it's all right, sweetheart. I'm here. I know you're upset?"

"I ha, hate Daddy," sobbed the little girl. "He's mean and horrible." Scully remained silent, letting Sarah get it all off her chest. "He never lets me do anything. He always spoils things. Now we'll never win the prize."

"Sarah, listen to me," said Scully softly. "Your Daddy loves you very, very much. He?"

"If daddy loved me, then he'd let me wear the costume. Mommy would have."

Scully, knowing what she did about Annie, doubted that very much.

She made no comment.

"Mommy always let me do what I wanted."

Again, Scully had her doubts and refrained from commenting.

Sarah was using the classic children's ploy of playing one parent off against another. She was a canny little girl, knowing full well that her assertions could not be verified or refuted by Annie. Scully was confident that Mulder had been around Annie and Sarah enough to know how things between them operated, and he was content to carry on raising his daughter along the same lines - a framework of rules and discipline, tempered with plenty of love. Scully caressed the blotchy, tear stained face and smiled.

"Sarah, I know you're angry and upset at the moment, but despite what you believe, your Daddy does love you very, very much." Scully pulled Sarah close and kissed her warm, damp cheek. "I love you too."

"And I love you, Mommy," sniffed Sarah. She yawned and rubbed at her eyes. "I'm tired."

"Do you want to go to bed?"

Sarah nodded.

"You get undressed and wash your face over. Would you like Daddy to put you to bed?"

"No. I want you to do it," answered the child. "I'm not talking to Daddy."

Out of her daughter's sight, Scully smiled. "All right. I'll go tell him that you're going to bed."

Scully left Sarah to undress, and found Mulder hovering outside the little girl's bedroom. She drew him away so that they could talk without Sarah hearing.

"Is Sarah all right?" he asked quickly.

"She's fine, Mulder."

"What did she say?"

"Nothing that she didn't say out here. The crying tired her out so she's going to bed."

"I'll go in and say goodnight." He went to knock on the door, but Scully put her hand on his chest.

"Mulder, Sarah says she's not talking to you. She wants me to put her to bed." Scully ran her hands gently down his front. He looked as if he was about to cry. "I'm sorry, Mulder," added Scully softly.

He swallowed. "It's okay. It's my own fault." Mulder ran a hand through his hair. "It hurts, Scully," he said in a tiny voice.

"Of all the times we've had words, nothing has ever hurt as much as hearing Sarah say that she hates me." The words had sliced through his heart like a dagger.

"I know, Mulder," answered Scully softly, knowing how wretched he would be feeling. It had been bad enough when Sarah had gone through that period of bad behaviour, culminating in her hysterical rampage.

No doubt he was feeling as much of an ogre now as he did then. She hugged him and kissed him. "You go and sit down - I'll put Sarah to bed."

Mulder couldn't sleep. He squinted at the digital clock on his night stand - it read 2.45 a.m. With a sigh, he slipped from the bed and padded along to his daughter's room. Her door was ajar, as always - Mulder slid in and perched carefully on the edge of her bed.

Sarah was curled up, facing towards him, her long hair braided loosely as usual. She took a deep breath and rolled onto her back; one arm across her chest, the other flung over her head.

Mulder sat and watched her for a while, then reached out and lightly stroked her soft, downy cheek. He smiled fondly in the dark, recalling all the happy times they'd spent together; all the times she'd hugged him and kissed him and told him she loved him. Now all he could hear was Sarah yelling angrily that she hated him and he wondered, despite Scully's assurances to the contrary, if things would ever be the same again.

Mulder took hold of his daughter's small hand, stroking the back of it lightly. Before he knew what he was doing, he was carefully drawing down the covers and gently lifting a heavy, warm and limp Sarah into his arms. He enfolded her securely and just held her, brushing his lips against her hair. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I'm sorry I made you angry, I'm sorry that I upset you. I was doing what I thought was best? trying to protect you." He smoothed a few strands of hair away from her brow. "You are so precious to me? you and Scully, and I would do anything to keep you both safe and out of harm's way." Mulder touched his daughter's face again. "I love you so much, Sarah? I'll always love you, no matter what."

At that moment, the little girl stirred and opened her eyes slightly. "Daddy?" she mumbled sleepily.

"It's okay, sweetheart," whispered her father, stroking her brow with his thumb. "Go back to sleep."

"I love you, Daddy."

Mulder almost had to strain to hear it as Sarah turned her face into his chest and her thumb snuck into her mouth. Mulder smiled. "I know, sweetheart. I love you too."

He was just settling Sarah back under the covers when Scully glided into the room.

"I wondered where you were. What are you doing?" she asked quietly.

"I couldn't sleep, Scully. I had to come and see Sarah, I needed to hold her."

Scully nodded - she understood. "Come back to bed, Mulder."

"I'll be right there, Scully." He watched as she glided out of the room again, then leaned over and kissed his daughter's cheek.

"Goodnight, sweetheart - I'll see you in the morning." With that, Mulder backed out of the room and made his way back to his own bed, wondering how he could make things up to Sarah.


"Where's Daddy?" asked Sarah that Saturday morning, when Scully came in to wake her up. The little girl sat up in bed and rubbed her eyes. As Scully had predicted, things had soon returned to normal in the Mulder household after Mulder and Sarah's falling out.

"Sweetheart, he had to go to work," replied Scully, pulling back the drapes at the window. The call had woken them both when it came.

Scully sat on Sarah's bed.

"When will he be back?" asked the child.

"I don't know, Sarah. He might be there all day." The little girl's expression was resigned. Scully patted Sarah's leg through the covers. "Come on, come and have some breakfast and then we'll go to the mall and see if we can get your costume. Granny Margaret called and will be coming over later, so we have to make sure we get back before she arrives."

Minutes later, Sarah shuffled listlessly into the kitchen, shoulders drooping, her face long. She sat at the table and Scully placed a bowl of apple and cinnamon oats in front of her, then returned to the counter and poured herself a coffee. When she came back to the table, Sarah was absently stirring her oats with her spoon, her head propped up in one hand.

"What's the matter, sweetie? Are you sick?" Scully put a hand to Sarah's forehead, but it felt normal. "Sarah? What is it?"

The little girl looked up at her mother, her eyes huge and sad.

"I never see Daddy any more. He's always at work. Why does he always have to be at work?"

"Oh sweetheart." Scully moved her chair closer and wrapped her arms around Sarah. She kissed the child softly. "Daddy's working on something very important right now, but it won't be forever, I promise."

"Is it one of those special cases, where Daddy has to help catch the bad man?"

"That's right, Sarah," replied Scully, gently stroking the little girl's hair and face. "They asked for Daddy's help because they needed his special skills."

"So once they catch the bad man, Daddy will be home more?" Sarah looked up at her mother, the light of hope in her eyes. Scully nodded in assent. "Good," said Sarah. "I miss him."

"I know you do, sweetie." Scully kissed Sarah again, then smiled down at her. "Come on, eat your oats before they get cold and then we'll see about that shopping trip." Scully let Sarah get on with her breakfast, and the child, now reassured that her father's absences wouldn't last for ever, ate with good appetite. Scully drank her coffee, and decided that she wouldn't mention any of this to Mulder she knew he felt bad enough about not being able to spend time with his daughter and if he knew that Sarah was upset, it would only make him feel worse and compound his guilt.

Even though Scully and Sarah had left promptly, they still found that the mall was pretty busy soon after opening. They headed straight for a children and young teens clothing store that sold up to the minute fashions at fairly low prices. They weren't the most durable or well made items, but with fashion changing by the moment, they met the needs of the fashion conscious young girls who wore them.

Scully was conscious of Mulder's feelings over his daughter's costume choice, but she thought she would be able to come up with a compromise - something that would be in the spirit of the outfit that Sarah wanted and at the same time mollifying Mulder. Scully hadn't mentioned it to Sarah, but she had some other ideas to help the young girl with her role as Scary Spice. She'd reveal all on the day of the performance.

"What about this one, Mommy?" Sarah held up a short, silver, spangly top with spaghetti straps.

"I don't think so, sweetheart - silver's not really your colour," replied Scully.

"They have it in gold too." Sarah showed her mother the other version of the top.

"No, Sarah. It's a little bit too short. What about these over here?" Scully made her way to a rail jam packed with little animal print tops, pants and skirts.

Sarah rummaged through them eagerly. "I like these, Mommy." She looked up at Scully, smiling. "Scary wears things like this."

Scully selected a leopard print top and matching skin tight pants in Sarah's size and held them against the little girl. "What do you think, sweetheart? Would you like to try them on?"

Sarah nodded enthusiastically, and they headed for the fitting rooms. A few moments later, Sarah was admiring herself in the mirror.

The pants fitted like a second skin, and Scully thought that the sleeveless tank top would meet with Mulder's approval. Other than her arms, Sarah revealed no other bare flesh.

"How does that look, sweetheart? Is it comfortable? Does it fit all right?" asked Scully.

"It's nice, Mommy. I like it. Can I have this one?"

"You don't want to look at anything else in here?"

"No thank you. I want this."

"All right." Scully was delighted that Sarah had found something so quickly - she'd had visions of trailing from store to store, only to end up back where they first started.

The next stop was the shoe store. Again, Scully knew that something cheap would fit the bill, and the Payless Shoe Source was ideal for fashion shoes at reasonable prices. Sarah knew exactly what she wanted, and a promising pair of shoes caught her eye immediately.

"I like these, Mommy." Sarah took the shoe out of its box and handed it to her mother. It was similar to a running shoe but with a thick platform wedge sole.

"Let's see if they have your size," said Scully, casting her eyes over the boxes. "Here we are." She took the shoes out of the box and handed them to Sarah. "Try them on, sweetheart."

Sarah sat on a nearby stool and took off her Reeboks. She slipped her feet into the white, man made, leather look shoes and laced them. The shoes also had two red stripes on either side.

Scully squatted and pressed gently on the top of the shoes to see where Sarah's toes were, wanting to make sure that they had enough room to spread.

"Walk up and down, Sarah," said Scully, "and see how they feel."

The little girl stood up and looked down at her feet. The design of the shoes made her feet look enormous. Sarah took half a dozen steps one way and then the other, with her mother watching.

"Do they feel comfortable, Sarah?"

The little girl nodded.

"They're not too loose or too tight at the back?"

"No, Mommy. Can I have them, please?"

"Don't you want to look at any others?"

"No thank you. I want these."

Scully couldn't believe her luck. Never in all the times she had been shopping with Sarah had they ever completed the task so quickly and painlessly.

As they were ahead of themselves, Scully suggested that they took some time for refreshments, then did a spot of Christmas shopping. On her last trip to the mall, Scully had seen a rather fetching black cashmere turtle neck sweater that she knew would be ideal for Mulder.

She loved to see him dressed all in black, with maybe the hint of stubble - the combined effect made her heart race, her stomach churn and her knees weak. Scully chuckled softly at the notion of her own husband making her melt and quiver like a love struck teenager.

"What are you laughing at, Mommy?" asked Sarah brightly, draining the last of her chocolate milkshake.

Scully smiled and touched Sarah's cheek. "I was thinking about Daddy," she replied.

"But why does that make you laugh?"

"I was just thinking about some of the funny things he does."

Most of Scully's thoughts about Mulder were good ones, although there were still occasions, most particularly at work, when he aggravated her no end and she wanted to throttle him. "Aren't there times when you think of Daddy and it makes you laugh?"

"Sometimes," agreed Sarah. "Daddy makes me laugh a lot. He's always being silly. When I was little and he used to tell me stories, he'd do it in funny voices and make funny faces."

"Did he?" laughed Scully. She could well imagine it - there were times when Mulder himself seemed like an overgrown child.

"Yes." Then Sarah laughed and said, "Daddy would cross his eyes and twist his ears and make his tongue stick out." The little girl giggled at the image. "He twisted his ears backwards and forwards and his tongue went in and out, like this." Sarah gave her mother a demonstration of Mulder's trick.

Scully chuckled and shook her head, wondering if she wasn't in fact married to a certifiable lunatic. She glanced at her watch.

"We'd better get going if we're going to get home before Granny Margaret arrives."

Collecting together their purchases, they made their way to one of the mall's department stores, stopping briefly to buy Sarah a Santa hat from one of the carts that were dotted here and there. Sarah promptly put the red, imitation fur trimmed hat on her head then went on her way happily.

"Now stay with me, Sarah - don't go wandering off," said Scully, as they reached the men's department. She hadn't forgotten what had happened the previous Christmas, when she'd taken the little girl shopping - Sarah had momentarily strayed from her side and Scully had been thrown into a panic. Fortunately, Sarah hadn't wandered too far and they were soon reunited.

Scully quickly located the cashmere sweaters and sorted through until she found one in Mulder's size. "What do you think of this, Sarah? Do you think Daddy would like this for Christmas?"

"It's nice and soft, Mommy," answered Sarah, fingering the garment. "I think Daddy will like it a lot."

"So do I, sweetheart." Scully thought it would go very well with the expensive black pants she had given him for his birthday. "Let's take it to the cash desk."

As they made their way across the floor, Sarah spotted a table top display of ties. "Look at these, Mommy!" She tugged Scully across to look. "I like this one." Sarah held up a silk tie, covered with small, differently coloured handprints, and 'I love my Daddy'

written across it here and there. "I want to buy this for Daddy for Christmas."

"I think he'll love it, sweetheart." Scully took a look at the price ticket - the tie cost just under thirty dollars. She knew that Sarah had nowhere near that amount of money on her at that moment.

"I'll lend you the money and you can pay me back later, okay?" Scully had no intention of taking that amount of money from her daughter, but she knew that the little girl would be pleased to think that she had paid for her father's present herself. "Come on, let's go and pay for them."

With the transaction complete, and no more shopping to get, Scully and Sarah headed for home.

Two short toots on a horn alerted Scully and Sarah to Margaret Scully's arrival. Sarah rushed to the door and hurled herself at the older woman as she stepped over the threshold.

"Granny!" Sarah squeezed Mrs Scully around the midsection as hard as she could, still sporting her Santa hat.

"Goodness me!" chuckled Margaret, almost dropping the container she was carrying. "What an enthusiastic welcome!"

"Hi Mom," smiled Scully, kissing her mother's cheek once Sarah had relinquished her hold on her granny.

"Hello Dana." She proffered the container. "I thought you might like a few of my Christmas cookies." Mrs Scully's smile was wide. "I know how much you like them."

"Thanks, Mom."

"I like cookies too," declared Sarah.

"I know you do," chuckled Scully, cupping the little girl's cheek. "These are special cookies that you only have at Christmas.

I'll make some tea and we can try some. Sarah, can you take Granny's coat and put it on our bed, please?"

"Where's Fox?" asked Margaret, as she took a seat at the kitchen table.

"He had to work today," answered Scully as she poured the tea.

"He'll be back later this afternoon."

"Are you coming to see the show, Granny?" asked Sarah, slipping into the seat beside the older woman.

"Of course I am, sweetheart!" smiled Margaret, wrapping an arm about the little girl. "I'm looking forward to it."

"We're going to be the best in the whole show," Sarah announced confidently.

"I'm sure you are. Do you have your routine worked out, and your costume?"

Sarah nodded, her hair bobbing about her shoulders. "Mommy took me to the mall this morning and I got my costume. But you can't see it, Granny. It's a secret. No one's allowed to see anything until the show."

"I see," replied Margaret with a smile. "Did you buy your hat at the mall, too? It's very nice."

"I bought it with my pocket money. And I bought Daddy a tie for Christmas, but I had to borrow the money from Mommy. You won't tell Daddy about the tie, will you? It's a surprise."

Margaret smiled and ran a hand over the dark silken locks. "Your secret is safe with me, Sarah. I won't tell your daddy about the tie." She looked over at Scully. "Where's your crib scene, Dana?

Sarah and I will set it up. We can put it on the table in the hall."

"I'll get it for you, Mom. I think I can just about remember where it is!" Scully was soon back with the right box. Her father had brought it back for his daughter from his travels, and it was something that she treasured. "Here it is." She set it on the table, then opened the container of home made cookies. "Now, who would like one of these?"

"Me please!" said Sarah immediately and Scully proffered the box.

Sarah dipped in and took out a cookie. "Mmm - it smells nice."

The spicy aroma had wafted out as soon as Scully had taken the lid off the box. Cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg? the smells that always brought back memories of Scully's childhood Christmases, when she and Melissa would help their mother to make and bake the cookies, decorate the house wherever they happened to be living at the time and dress the tree. If they were lucky, sometimes Captain Scully would be home to share Christmas with them. Those occasions were the ones that Scully treasured the most.

Sarah was half way through her cookie before she delivered her verdict. "It's delicious, Granny!"

"Thank you, sweetie," grinned Margaret, kissing the little girl's hair.

They finished their tea, then Margaret and Sarah left Scully preparing dinner while they took the box containing the crib scene out into the hall. Margaret set it on the little hall table, then started to carefully unwrap the beautifully carved and painted wooden figurines. Sarah gently wiped over each one with a cloth and as they put the crib scene together, Margaret chatted with Sarah about the Nativity.

"Do you know what gifts the Three Wise Men brought for baby Jesus?" she asked.

"I learned that in kindergarten. It was gold, frankenstein and myrrh," answered the little girl confidently.

"I think you mean frankincense, sweetheart," smiled Scully, choosing that moment to come and see how they were getting on. She dropped a kiss on the child's hair, and saw Margaret trying to stifle a chuckle at the malapropism.

"Frankincense," repeated Sarah.

"That's right."

Margaret placed the last of the figurines and stood back.

"It looks good," said Scully. She reached out and touched a finger to one of the Wise Men. "I love the detail on these figurines?

and the colours are wonderful they always look so fresh. You'd never believe that Dad gave me this almost fifteen years ago. It still looks as good as the day he gave it to me." Scully was thoughtful for a moment, remembering a more recent Christmas, when she had lost her father. "I miss him terribly, Mom," she said softly.

Margaret cupped her daughter's cheek. "So do I, honey."

Sarah soon tired of listening to the adult's conversation and announced that she was going to watch a video.

"What are you and Fox getting Sarah for Christmas?" asked Margaret, taking advantage of the little girl's absence.

"A new bicycle," replied Scully. "And I need a favour, Mom? can we store it at your place?"

"Sure, honey. What are you going to do with her old one? You should keep it for when you have your own child."

"And where am I supposed to put it? We have a perfectly serviceable garage but it's filled with boxes that we haven't unpacked yet. We can't even get a car in there. Mulder told me he threw out a lot of stuff when he moved out of his apartment but I swear he's brought it all with him! That man never throws anything away if he can help it."

Margaret laughed. "You'll get straight eventually, Dana, but it does take time."

"It does when Mulder's involved," answered Scully with a sigh.

"You know that word 'manana'? I think it was invented with Mulder in mind." She sighed again. "I really wanted the house to be straight by Christmas, but it's not working out that way. Mulder's spending half of his time on this other case, coming home late and working weekends? he's either too wired or too tired to sleep, and most of the time he looks exhausted."

"Honey, I think you're worrying about the house unnecessarily.

It looks fine, Dana. It's perfectly serviceable as it is for the time being. Maybe you could concentrate on one room at a time, rather than trying to do them all at once. You could enlist Sarah's help - I'm sure there must be some simple tasks that she could do while you and Fox concentrate on the bigger jobs."

"Sarah did help me to paint her bedroom - she was rather good at it, actually. Far better than Mulder. I think that was the first and last time I'll ever let him loose with a paintbrush!"

Margaret laughed aloud. "Honey, he can't be that bad!"

"Mom, you had to see it with your own eyes," replied Scully, pouring out more tea. "Knowing Mulder, I wouldn't be surprised if he'd pretended to be useless on purpose so that he could get out of it." Scully rolled her eyes. "I swear, that man will drive me insane one day."

Scully and her mother laughed together, then suddenly Margaret looked across the table at her daughter and smiled.

"What?" asked Scully.

"You're really enjoying this, aren't you?"

"Enjoying what?"

"This life of domestic and wedded bliss."

Now it was Scully's turn to smile, and when she did, it was a broad one that lit up her whole face. "Yes, I am," she replied softly.

"Are you happy, Dana?" Nothing mattered to Margaret more than her daughter's happiness.

"Yes, I am, Mom. More than I ever thought I would be." Scully ran her fingertips along the grain of the tabletop. "Mulder and Sarah? they've both given me so much. I don't deny that they have their moments, but I couldn't imagine my life without either of them now."

Mrs Scully cast her mind back a few months to the Dana that had come to her full of frustration and resentment over the lack of progression in her relationship with Mulder. She had poured out her heart, ashamed at originally seeing Sarah as an unwelcome intrusion into their lives. The Dana that sat opposite her now was like a different person altogether - happy, glowing, and contented.

Margaret reached across the table and took her daughter's hand.

"I'm glad, honey."

"Thanks, Mom. It means a lot to know that you're happy for me."

"Do you have any suggestions as to what I can get Sarah for Christmas?" asked Margaret. "I have no idea."

"How about a new cycle helmet her old one is a little small now. And maybe some knee and elbow pads."

"That's an excellent idea, and they'll be a complement her new bicycle."

"And the in-line skates that Mulder's mother is giving her," said Scully. "Sarah's been after a pair for ages, so when Teena called and asked what Sarah wanted for Christmas, Mulder suggested the skates.

Teena sent the money down and Mulder bought a pair last week." Mulder had rolled his eyes when the cheque had arrived - his mother had sent down enough money to equip all three of them with skates. They had decided to use what was left over to buy Sarah some books and games, labelling them from Granny Mulder.

At that moment, the little girl reappeared and climbed into Scully's lap, wrapping her arms around Scully's neck. "When's Daddy coming home?" Sarah asked.

"Soon, I would think," replied Scully, stroking a hand slowly up and down her daughter's back. "He said he'd call when he was leaving."

"Can I have another of Granny's special cookies, please?"

Scully smiled. "All right, but just one. I don't want you spoiling your appetite!"

Sarah leaned forward and helped herself. "Can I take it next door?"

"Okay, but put it on a paper towel to catch the crumbs."

Margaret chuckled as the little girl scampered off again. "I can't believe how well Sarah has coped with all the changes she's had in her life over the past year and a half. I think she's adjusted to her new life and new surroundings remarkably well."

Scully felt her face flush. Her initial reaction to Mulder's daughter still made her uncomfortable. "When I think of my cool reception to her existence, and how it could have turned out?"

"But you grew to love her," said Margaret softly.

"Because she's so easy to love," answered Scully simply. "I know that Mulder would die to protect her, and I would do the same if I had to. I never thought I could love a child that I hadn't given birth to, but that maternal instinct is so strong? it took me completely by surprise the first time I experienced it. Now it's like Sarah has always been there. I feel the tug on my heart when I drop her at school, or she's upset - I miss her when she's not around." Scully smiled fondly. "You know, Mom - I wouldn't trade one of Sarah's hugs or 'I love you's' for anything. Each one is special and I treasure every one of them."

"Will you be coming to Midnight Mass this year, Dana?" asked Margaret, lifting her after dinner cup of coffee to her lips. Mulder had come home just in time to eat with them, then after he and Sarah had cleared the table and loaded the dishwasher, they had joined Scully and her mother in the living room.

Scully smiled. "Yes, I will." The late night service was one of her favourite parts of Christmas and she'd hate to miss it.

"Can I come?" asked Sarah eagerly, looking up.

Scully turned to her husband. In view of his own lack of beliefs she didn't want to agree to Sarah participating in something that he wasn't happy with. It had to be his decision. "Is that okay with you, Mulder?"

Sarah, meanwhile, had scooted across the floor and sat at her father's feet, her chin resting on his knee. She looked up at him with her big brown eyes, like a forlorn puppy.

His hand came out and stroked her hair and he was reminded suddenly of a mournful looking spaniel. "Do you think you can stay awake long enough, Sarah?" The little girl nodded vigorously, her glossy dark hair bobbing about her shoulders. "All right then, you can go to Midnight Mass with Mommy and Granny Margaret."

Sarah was up like a shot, her arms around his neck. "Thanks, Daddy! You're the best daddy in the whole world!" And the most easily manipulated, thought Mulder with a sigh.

"Don't you want to come with us, Daddy?" Sarah had nestled into his lap.

"I'd like to sweetheart, but someone has to stay behind and put out the food and drink for Santa and his reindeer."

Sarah digested that. "Can I wear my new coat?" She was eager to wear the little red cossack style coat and matching hat that her parents had bought her recently.

"I don't see why not, as it's a special occasion," smiled Mulder.

He was rewarded with another big hug. Easily manipulated or not, he wouldn't trade his daughter's hugs for anything.

"Ooh, Scully - if I'd known I had that to look forward to every morning, I'd have married you years ago!" grinned Mulder the following morning, as Scully finally prised her lips away from his and laid her head back on the pillow.

"I told you before that you didn't know what you were missing,"

answered Scully with a lazy smile as Mulder rolled onto his side to face her, wrapping one arm around her and draping a leg across her pelvis. Scully trailed her fingers lightly up and down his bare arm, apparently lost in thought. Then she looked into his rumpled morning face and said, "Mulder, I thought I'd accompany my mom to Mass this morning."

"Fed up with my company already, Scully?" he grinned.

She chuckled and squeezed his knee. "Of course not, Mulder. I just thought it would give you and Sarah the opportunity to spend some time together. You haven't seen much of one another recently."

Mulder nodded - that was true enough. Lately he was gone by the time his daughter rose in the morning, returning home after she'd gone to bed. "I would like to spend some time with Sarah - she must be feeling a little neglected." He looked into his wife's face, trying to read her. "Are you sure, Scully? I don't want you to feel that you have to make yourself scarce just so that Sarah and I can have time together."

Scully smiled. "I don't feel that at all, Mulder. I know that Sarah enjoys the time we all spend together, but I also know that she likes having you all to herself now and again. We don't know how long this case is going to drag on for, so I think you should take the chance to spend some time with her while you have it."

Mulder nodded again. What Scully said certainly made sense, as always. "You're right, I should make the most of it." He drew her close and kissed her. "Thanks, Scully."

"Mommy's going to church with Granny Margaret this morning, so you'll have me all to yourself," announced Mulder, a little while after Sarah had joined him and Scully in their bed for her morning cuddle.

"Really, Daddy?" Sarah's eyes were alight with happiness.

"Really." Mulder smiled, and ran a hand over his daughter's hair. "Is there something you'd like to do today?" The little girl put her head to one side and thought hard.

"I don't know. Are you going to be home all day?"

"I hope so," replied Mulder. He and Scully both laughed as Sarah gave a little cheer and raised her fist in the air in a victory salute, then Scully sat up and prepared to get out of bed.

"I'd better get a move on if I want to get over to Granny's house before she leaves for church." Scully pulled on her thick winter robe. "I'm going to take a shower."

"In that case, Sarah and I will make breakfast. How about pancakes, Scully?"

"With apple and cinnamon, Daddy?" asked Sarah hopefully.

"Why do you think, Scully?"

"Sounds good, Mulder."

"Apple and cinnamon pancakes it is, then."

 


Scully was accompanied to the front door by her husband and daughter.

"Don't come out, it's cold," she advised. "I'll go back to Mom's for a while after church, and she'll probably ask me to stay for lunch."

"No problem, Scully - Sarah and I can see to ourselves at lunch time and we can go out and eat tonight."

"I'd like that, Mulder." Scully glanced at her watch. "I'd better get my skates on. If you go out, make sure Sarah wears a hat."

"I will, Mommy," said the little girl.

"Good girl." Hugs and kisses were exchanged, then Scully headed for her car. "Go back inside - I don't want either of you catching a chill!"

Mulder and his daughter did as Scully instructed and watched her departure from the living room window. When her car was no longer in view, Mulder turned to Sarah and asked, "So sweetheart - what do you think you'd like to do today?"

"Can we go and get the Christmas tree?" Sarah looked up at her father expectantly.

"All right. I'll have another cup of coffee and then we'll go out."

Mulder made sure that Sarah was well insulated against the cold she wore her thick padded jacket, bright woolly mittens, warm lined ankle boots and to top it all off, her colourful polar fleece hat with the pom-pom. "There we go - I think you're all set," he declared, admiring his handiwork.

Sarah rode happily alongside her father. "It's so cold out, Daddy. I could see my breath in the air."

Mulder glanced sideways at her and smiled as the little girl breathed through her open mouth, a small cloud of air condensing inside the car.

"See, Daddy?"

"I saw it, sweetheart. Are you warm enough, Sarah? Would you like me to turn up the heat?"

"I'm all right, Daddy. It's nice and toasty in the car!"

Mulder couldn't help but chuckle. "Do you think it will snow for Christmas?" he asked.

"I hope so," replied Sarah. "I want to build a snowman and have snowball fights with you like we did when I was little."

Mulder eyebrows raised slightly - he was surprised she even remembered that. Sarah had been very young at the time. "I'd like that too, sweetheart. Maybe we could even buy a toboggan."

"Me and Mommy can sit on it and you can pull us along."

"Or how about you and I sit on it and Mommy pulls us along?"

Mulder gave her a big grin.

Sarah giggled joyously at that idea. "You're too big and heavy, Daddy."

"You don't think Mommy would be strong enough? She has big muscles." Mulder flexed his arm like a strongman and made his daughter rock with laughter.

"You're silly, Daddy!" Sarah's head suddenly whipped round as something green caught her eye and she pointed out of the window.

"Look, there's some trees for sale!"

"Let's go and have a look, shall we?" replied Mulder, signalling to pull over.

Father and daughter examined the selection of trees thoroughly.

They came in all shapes and sizes, and all exuded a wonderful fresh pine scent.

"Can we have this one, Daddy?" Sarah stood in front of a specimen that was taller than Mulder.

"I don't know, sweetheart - it's a bit big. It might be too tall to fit into the living room."

"Please, Daddy," said Sarah, bouncing on the balls of her feet and tugging on his hand. The pom-pom on her hat bounced too. "I like this one. Mommy will like it too."

"You think so, huh?" The little girl nodded gravely. Mulder had another good look at the tree, chewing the inside of his cheek as he thought about it. "You really want this tree?"

"Yes please."

"Okay - this one it is." Mulder's face broke into a big smile as Sarah jumped up at him in delight. He paid for the tree and the vendor helped to carry it to the car, where it was lashed to the roof.

Mulder doubled checked that it was secure then said, "Let's get this home."

Sarah climbed into the front passenger seat and buckled herself in. "Can we decorate the tree when we get home?"

"I thought we'd wait until Mommy was home then we could all do it together. What do you think, Sarah?" As this would be their first Christmas as a proper family, in their own home, Mulder thought it would be nice to make it special.

The little girl nodded, adding, "I want to put the fairy on the top, Daddy."

He smiled down at her. "I think we can arrange that."

Mulder just about managed to manoeuvre the tree from the roof of the car into the back yard without assistance. He stood it at the rear of the house, on the patio, for the time being. It wouldn't hurt to leave it there for a couple of days, until they were ready to decorate it. It would probably take that long to find the decorations - they were packed away in one of the boxes in the garage.

Scully, being the more practical and organised one, had had the foresight to suggest that Mulder label each of his boxes as he'd packed them and she had done the same.

Mulder let himself and his daughter back into the warmth of the house. He took off his thick winter jacket and headed for the bathroom to wash his hands - they smelled strongly of pine sap.

Sarah, meanwhile, had settled herself on the sofa to finish the Willy Wonka video that she'd started watching the day before.

"Sweetheart, I'm going to start lunch. What would you like?"

said Mulder, sticking his head round the door.

"Soup and a grilled ham sandwich please," answered the little girl, without taking her eyes off the TV screen.

"Okay. I'll call you when it's ready."

"Don't forget the Dijonnaise for my sandwich!" cried Sarah, turning round just in time to see her father's departing back.

Mulder could hear his daughter's delighted giggles as he bustled around the kitchen, then he could hear Sarah singing along with the Oompa Loompa song. He smiled fondly as he gave the soup a stir. Soon it was ready and he tipped it into two bowls.

"Sarah! Your soup's ready!" he yelled, placing the bowls on the table. The little girl was there in the blink of an eye.

"Where's my sandwich, Daddy?"

"It's just coming. I can't do everything at once." He was opening and closing drawers and muttering under his breath. Finally, Mulder asked in exasperation, "Sweetheart, do you know where Mommy put the turner?" He wasn't going to risk burning his fingers lifting the sandwiches off the grill by hand.

"It's on the counter, Daddy - in that white jar."

Mulder looked in front of him, to the white ceramic jar labelled "Utensils," and grunted. Trust whatever he was looking for to be right under his nose. He still didn't quite know where everything was, and he swore that as soon as he memorised where things were, Scully moved them again.

"There you are - one grilled ham sandwich with Dijonnaise, cut into quarters just the way you like it."

"Thank you, Daddy," beamed Sarah as he placed the sandwich on the table. "I can start my lunch now."

Mulder chuckled - Sarah had a ritual when she was having a soup and sandwich lunch. She couldn't start until both items were in front of her. And it always had to be tomato soup and a grilled ham sandwich - no other combination would do.

Father and daughter laughed and chatted amiably as they ate their lunch, finally rounding it off with a cup of tea and a pecan Danish pastry each.

"What are we going to do now, Daddy?" asked Sarah as she returned to the table from placing her bowl and plate in the dishwasher. She climbed onto her father's lap and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Well, I have to put the tree into water and Mommy said that she wanted the leaves on the grass raked up," Mulder replied, his large hand moving slowly over the child's back.

"Can I do that?"

"Rake the leaves?"

Sarah nodded.

"Okay. You can do that while I put the tree into water."

"Shall we do it now, Daddy?"

"Come on then. Put your hat and coat on - you might need your mittens, too."

"Can I wear my Santa hat?"

"All right." Mulder didn't think it mattered what sort of hat Sarah wore as long as her head was covered.

Minutes later they were in the garden. Sarah had the rake and Mulder carried a saw.

"What's that for, Daddy?" asked Sarah, pointing to the saw.

"I need to cut a little bit off the bottom of the tree so that it can take up the water."

"Aren't we going to decorate it today?"

"We won't have time today, sweetheart. I don't think Mommy will be back until late afternoon and then we're going out to eat tonight."

"When can we do it then?"

"In a day or two. That'll give us time to find all the decorations."

Satisfied with that, Mulder and Sarah went about their allotted tasks. The little girl carefully raked up the last remaining fallen leaves of the autumn, forming a neat pile. The garden, like the house, had been well looked after and everything in it was fairly mature and well established. Scully had planted some bulbs in the borders and Sarah had helped her to fill a couple of patio tubs with ivy, cyclamen, solanum and winter pansies to give a little bit of colour throughout the dreary winter months.

While his daughter was busy raking, Mulder sawed several inches off the bottom of the tree, then stood it in a large container of water. He had been assured that this particular species of tree did not shed its needles, and he hoped that was correct. Scully would not be best pleased to come home each night and find a fresh drop of pine needles on the floor.

"How are you doing, sweetheart?" asked Mulder. He had stashed the saw back in the garage.

"I've nearly finished, Daddy," answered Sarah. She shivered.

"It's cold."

"Well, we won't stay out much longer. I'll put the leaves in the garden waste recycler and then we can go in and have a hot drink."

Once Sarah had picked up the last few leaves, Mulder set about shovelling them into the recycling bin. Sarah, meanwhile, galloped around the garden, expending some of her boundless energy. She reminded her father of a newborn colt - all long legs and flowing mane.

"That's it - all done," announced Mulder, closing the lid of the bin. He wheeled it back to where he got it from, then took the rake and stashed it in the garage with the other garden tools. "I'm going in now, sweetheart."

"Okay, Daddy." Sarah galloped over to join her father. The soft apples of her cheeks glowed with the warm blush of fresh air, her breath coming forth in clouds from her partly open mouth. Suddenly, Mulder pulled the Santa hat down over her eyes. "Hey!" yelled the little girl in protest, pushing it back up onto her head.

Mulder took off around the garden, laughing; his daughter in hot pursuit. He trotted slowly enough to enable her to catch up with him and when she did, she smacked him with both hands on his backside.

"That's for pulling my hat over my eyes!" said Sarah, miffed.

"If you're not careful, I'll do it again," grinned her father, jogging on the spot.

"No, Daddy!" And the little girl took off across the lawn, her father on her heels. Sarah laughed and squealed as she dodged her father's grasp - eventually he caught her, sweeping her off her feet and up into his arms. Sarah breathed heavily from the running about, but her face was aglow with happiness as she relaxed into her father's embrace.

Mulder smiled down at his daughter and kissed her. "Come on, you - let's get inside and have that hot drink."

"What on earth?" Scully opened the front door to the strains of Brenda Lee singing "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree." Where had Mulder dug that up from? Whatever her husband and daughter were doing in the living room, it sounded like they were having fun.

"Twirl me around again, Daddy," came Sarah's breathless voice, then she laughed and said, "That was too fast, you'll make me dizzy!

Now lift me over your head!"

What were they up to, Scully wondered. Well, there was only one way to find out, so she headed on in to the living room, to find Mulder swinging Sarah through his open legs. If she Scully wasn't mistaken, Mulder and daughter were jiving.

"Mommy's back!" cried Sarah, catching sight of Scully, who smiled and waggled her fingers in greeting.

"Hey, Scully," smiled Mulder, looking over his shoulder.

"Hey yourself, Mulder. What's going on here?" She gestured at the pair of them.

"We're jiving," replied Sarah as her father twirled her around one way and then the other.

"Oh." Scully grinned as he and Sarah moved closer, then apart.

"I didn't know you were such a Twinkle Toes, Mulder."

"A guy has to have some secrets, Scully." He grinned back at her, hoisting his daughter above his head again. Scully's heart went into her mouth as Sarah almost brushed the ceiling but she knew that Mulder wouldn't do anything to put the little girl in danger. "Would you care for the next dance, Scully?"

"Not if you're going to throw me about like that," she snorted.

"Ah - where's your sense of adventure, woman?" Mulder twirled his daughter again.

"Go on, Mommy - you should have a go," encouraged Sarah.

Scully smiled and shook her head. "I don't think so, sweetheart."

"Oh please, Mommy."

"What's up, Scully? Don't you trust me?" Mulder swung Sarah through his legs again and grinned once more at his wife.

"Of course I do, Mulder."

"Will you dance with me if I promise not to raise your feet off the ground?"

Scully didn't really feel that she could refuse once she saw the two pairs of warm and loving brown eyes staring back at her. Knowing she was beaten, Scully smiled and nodded. "All right, but I'll hold you to that promise, Mulder. If you lift me even a millimetre off my feet, you'll be in trouble!"

"Yes, ma'am!" answered Mulder, trying to look serious and failing miserably.

"I'll put the record on again, Daddy." Sarah crossed to the CD player and stopped the music, then skipped the disc back to the previous track. Once again, Brenda Lee boomed out of the speakers, and Mulder started dancing with Scully.

He pulled her in and tossed her out several times, then twirled her one way then the other. Scully didn't want to admit it, but she was enjoying herself.

"You sure I can't persuade you into letting me lift you just once, Scully?" asked Mulder.

"Try it, Mulder and see what you get."

The music eventually stopped and while her mother and father caught their breath, Sarah turned off the music.

"That didn't hurt, now did it, Scully?"

"No, it didn't Mulder. It was rather enjoyable." Scully dropped into her favourite armchair. "So, what have you two been up to while I've been gone?"

"We've got a tree, Mommy!" said Sarah excitedly. "Come and see it's in the garden."

The three of them trooped out to the patio, where the tree was standing in water. Scully immediately noticed the pristine lawn.

"You cleared up the leaves," she said.

"Yeah, Sarah did that," answered Mulder.

Scully ran a hand over the little girl's hair. "You did a very thorough job, sweetheart."

Sarah beamed. "Do you like the tree, Mommy?"

"It's lovely, Sarah." Scully eyed it cautiously - she was a little worried as to the height of it. "Will it fit, Mulder?"

"Just," he replied. He leaned in close and said in a low voice, "Sarah was very persuasive in getting me to buy it."

"Oh? How so?"

"She told me that you'd like it." He grinned at her, then sighed affectionately. "Sarah doesn't miss a trick, does she?"

"And where did she learn that from, I wonder?" asked Scully, giving him a knowing sideways smile.

The tree dressing was scheduled for two days later, to allow enough time to find all the decorations. Sarah helped Scully to locate Mulder's decorations in one of the boxes stacked in the garage, but when they found them, many of the delicate baubles were shattered.

"Oh dear," sighed Scully. "They must have gotten broken in the move." The movers had been rather heavy handed with some of the boxes. "I think we'll have to buy some more. We'll go to the mall tomorrow afternoon, after I pick you up from school."

While Sarah carefully unpacked the new baubles that she and her mother had bought the day before, Scully delved into Mulder's collection of decorations and pulled out a scruffy looking piece of tinsel, no more than a few inches long. She shook her head - what had possessed Mulder to keep it? It wasn't useful for anything - or so she thought. Sarah, catching sight of the red and silver strand in her mother's hand, had other ideas.

"Can I wear that in my hair, Mommy?"

"If you like, sweetheart." Scully pulled Sarah's hair back into a ponytail, wrapped the tinsel around it and tucked the end into an elastic. "There - how's that?"

Sarah dashed off to look in the mirror, then came right back, almost colliding with her father as he came out of his bedroom.

"Do you like my hair, Daddy?" asked the little girl.

"Oh, very chic," smiled Mulder.

"What does that mean?"

"It means you look very stylish."

Sarah beamed. She couldn't wait to try out this new word and when they entered the living room, she promptly informed Scully, "Daddy says I look chic."

"You certainly do, sweetheart," answered Scully, smiling over at her husband and cupping the little girl's cheek in her palm.

"Are we ready to dress this tree or not?" asked Mulder, hands on hips.

They spent the next couple of hours decorating the huge tree, getting in one another's way as they did so, but generally having immense fun. At one point, Mulder draped himself in tinsel and hung a bauble from each ear then did a little dance around the room, much to Scully's amazement and his daughter's delight. Once the fairy had been placed on the top, they stood back to admire all their hard work.

"You know what we need now, Scully?" said Mulder, his arm around her waist.

"What?" answered Scully.

"A reward for all our hard work. Something traditional, I think."

"Such as?"

"Sit down and I'll be right back." He was as good as his word, coming back a few moments later carrying a tray with three little glass cups on it - three cups that Scully had never seen before. They had frosted Christmas trees and snowflakes on them. "There's one for you, Scully, a little one for Sarah and one for me."

Scully recognised the thick yellow liquid right away. "That's egg nog, if I'm not mistaken."

"Correct," replied Mulder. He handed the cups around.

"I love these, Mulder - where did you get them?" The cups had handles and were similar to punch glasses.

He shook his head. "Can't remember? it might have been Nordstrom. I bought the whole set and hid it so that you wouldn't find it. I wanted to surprise you." He smiled, continuing, "It's a punch set. There's a bowl, another three cups and a ladle. I thought it would be nice to have something Christmassy to serve punch or mulled wine in when we have guests, or for serving egg nog."

"That's a lovely idea, Mulder." Scully squeezed his hand in hers, surprised that he'd even think of something like that.

"So, would you like to make the toast, Scully?" he asked.

"I'd be glad to." Scully thought for a moment, then said, "Raise your glasses to a family Christmas."

"A family Christmas," echoed Mulder and Sarah, then the three of them clinked their glasses.

"Can I taste the egg nog now?" asked Sarah, ever impatient to try something new, whatever it might be.

"Yes, you may taste it now, but sip it slowly, Sarah - it's very strong," advised Scully.

The little girl tilted her glass and took a tiny sip of the rich liquid. "It's nice, Daddy," she said, licking her lips and smiling at him. "It's making me all warm inside!" She rubbed her tummy with her free hand, making her parents chuckle.

"That's the brandy, sweetheart," said Mulder. He turned to Scully, placing an arm around her shoulders and drawing her close.

"That was a nice toast, Scully - simple and to the point."

Scully cupped his cheek and kissed him. "Thank you, Mulder."

Scully was in the bathroom and Mulder in the bedroom when the telephone rang. "Can you get that, sweetheart," he called.

Sarah scampered for the phone. She lifted the receiver and in her very best grown up voice, she said, "Mulder residence."

In the bedroom, Mulder chuckled to himself when heard his daughter say those words. It always tickled him. Then he heard a delighted, "Granny!" He went to the bedroom door and stuck his head round.

"Who is it, Sarah?" he called.

"It's Granny Mulder," answered the little girl. Mulder nodded, then Sarah went back to her conversation. "Guess what, Granny? We just dressed the tree and I had egg nog!"

"Did you?" replied Teena Mulder. "I bet your tree looks wonderful."

"You can see it when you come at New Years. I'll tell Daddy that he has to leave it up so that you can see it. Do you have a tree, Granny?"

"No, darling."

"Why not?" asked the little girl. "Granny Page always has a tree. Uncle Tim gets one for her. When I lived in Boston I used to help to decorate my granny's tree."

Teena didn't know what to say. There wasn't a lot of point having a tree when you lived on your own, and no family ever came to visit. She had hoped that the situation might change now that Fox had Sarah - she thought they might have come up for Christmas, but with his recent marriage, she could quite understand that he would want to spend his first Christmas as a proper family man in his own home.

Maybe next year it would be different.

Sarah regaled her grandmother with the details of the trip to the mall to purchase her costume, then assisting Mrs Scully to put together the crib scene. Lastly, the little girl told her Granny about the forthcoming visit to Midnight Mass.

"Daddy's not coming though - he said someone has to stay behind to put out the milk and stuff for Santa and his reindeer."

"Of course - that's a very important job," said Teena.

"I expect that's why Santa's fat, because he has to eat so many cookies and milk."

Listening to Sarah's excited chatter reminded Teena of the days when Fox and Samantha were young children. Christmas had been a whirl of trees, decorations, gifts, fun and laughter; there were visits to and from friends and family over the holiday period. The house on Vine Street would be lavishly decorated and Fox and Samantha would hang their stockings on the mantel on Christmas Eve, barely able to contain their excitement. On Christmas morning, brother and sister would race down the stairs to see who could reach the presents first.

Teena smiled wistfully at the memory. Hopefully she'd get the opportunity to enjoy Christmas again, and relive those precious moments, through her grandchildren. Maybe next year, she'd invite Fox, Dana and Sarah to spend Christmas with her, in Connecticut.

"I expect it is," chuckled Teena softly. "Make sure that your father leaves a carrot for Rudolph."

"I will, Granny. Do you want to speak to Daddy?"

"Yes please. Can you put him on?"

Sarah called her father. "Daddy, Granny wants to speak to you."

"Okay - tell her I'll be right there."

"Daddy said he'll be right here," said the little girl.

Mulder came along and took the phone from his daughter. "Hi, Mom. What's up?"

"Nothing, dear." There was a pause. "Fox, do you really think you should be giving Sarah egg nog?" said Teena. She had certainly never allowed Fox or Samantha to taste alcohol when they were Sarah's age.

"It was no more than a spoonful, Mom."

"And how long does it take for that spoonful to become a glassful?"

Mulder was acutely aware of the effects of alcohol. His own father had often drowned his sorrows in the bottom of a whisky tumbler, and he was sure that Bill Mulder's drinking had been a cause of, or at least a contributing factor to, some of the arguments his parents had had in the two years that had preceded Samantha's disappearance.

"Mom, you make it sound like every drink Sarah has is alcoholic.

The last time she had any alcohol was at the wedding, when she had two mouthfuls of my champagne. I don't see what's wrong with letting her have a little taste when it's a special occasion."

"Next you'll be telling me that she's taken up smoking!"

"Now you're being ridiculous, Mom. Sarah detests cigarettes, and letting her have the occasional spoonful of alcohol isn't going to turn her into an alcoholic."

Teena was not prepared to let it rest. "Fox, you're a good father and you've done a wonderful job of raising Sarah so far, but I think you're making a mistake by introducing her to alcohol at this young age."

"Well, you're entitled to your opinion, but Sarah is my daughter and I'll raise her as I see fit." The words came out short and sharp.

"Don't take that tone with me, Fox - "

Mulder sighed, cutting across her with an exasperated, "Was there something in particular you wanted, Mom?"

Teena huffed and said, "I was calling to let you know that I'm going to your Aunt Evelyn's for a few days. You know she's been ill recently, apparently she's not doing very well. I just didn't want you to worry if you called and didn't get a reply."

"Well, thanks for letting me know, Mom. Give Aunt Evelyn my love when you see her, and you take care. You know where I am if you need anything."

"Daddy," asked Sarah with a frown as her father got her ready for bed that night. "How does Santa get down a small chimney when he's so fat? And what if the house doesn't have a chimney? How does he get in to deliver the presents?"

"Magic," replied Mulder, brushing her hair and dividing it into three. He braided it as he talked.

"But how does the magic work, Daddy?"

"I don't know, sweetheart. Only Santa knows that." Mulder secured the end of the braid with an elastic.

"How does he know who's been good and who's been bad?" Sarah slipped under the covers. "And how do the reindeer know the way to all the different houses?"

"They just do, sweetheart." Mulder sat down on the bed, and stroked his daughter's soft cheek.

Sarah thought about that for a minute. "Daddy?"

"Yes?" He looked down into the worried little face.

"Does Santa know we moved house? He won't miss me out, will he?"

"He won't miss you out, sweetheart," replied Mulder, smiling tenderly. "Santa knows our new address."

"Are you sure, Daddy?"

"I'm sure, baby." Mulder pressed the covers gently around Sarah's narrow shoulders. "Go to sleep now, Sarah. And don't worry about Santa. He won't forget you." He leaned over and kissed her.

"Goodnight, sweetheart. I love you."

"I love you too, Daddy. Night night."


The next evening, Mulder let himself into the house. He was surprised not to find his daughter hurtling towards him, or hear the sound of the Spice Girls booming around the living room. He dropped his keys next to the crib scene and hung his overcoat on a hook on the opposite wall, then headed for the kitchen. Scully was sitting at the table reading over what looked like an autopsy report.

"Hey Scully. What's that you're reading?" He leaned down and kissed her cheek then crossed to the fridge, removing the orange juice and taking a generous swig straight from the bottle.

"I was just reading over the report I finished this afternoon."

She placed it back into the folder lying on the table and closed it.

"Mulder, how many times do I have to ask you not to drink straight from the bottle?"

He gave her a disarming smile. "Sorry, Scully."

Scully knew she was wasting her breath with her constant reminders - the habit was too ingrained for Mulder to ever change.

"Listen," said Mulder softly.

"What? I can't hear anything," answered Scully.

"Exactly. I can't remember the last time it was as quiet as this." Mulder sat on the chair beside his wife. "Where is Sarah, anyway?"

"Your memory must be going, Mulder. I reminded you this morning - it's Vanessa's birthday today and as a treat, Mrs Castle is taking Vanessa and Sarah ice skating after school, then for something to eat. Sarah will be staying at the Castle's overnight."

A slow smile spread across Mulder's face and he reached out to knead Scully's shoulder gently.

"You want to take advantage of that, Scully?" asked Mulder. "It's not often we get the place to ourselves? it'd be a shame to waste such an opportunity." He leaned in and nuzzled her neck. "Mind you, it's been such a long time that I'm not sure I can remember how."

"Yeah - it must have been all of a week," chuckled Scully.

"I didn't realise you were keeping a diary." His hot breath on her neck made Scully shiver. "So what do you say?"

"What about dinner?"

"Dinner can wait?" breathed Mulder. "Besides, I always have a better appetite after making love." With that, he lifted Scully and tossed her over his right shoulder in a fireman's carry.

"Mulder, you idiot! Put me down!" she cried.

"Hush, woman. We don't want the whole street to know what we're up to."

Scully laughed happily as he carried her into the bedroom and toed the door shut.

Mulder woke with a start the next morning - he wasn't used to the house being this quiet. Then he remembered that his daughter wasn't there and saw another heaven sent opportunity for some uninterrupted intimacy with his wife. Rolling onto his side, Mulder wrapped an arm around a naked Scully's waist and prepared to rouse her gently with his own special brand of wake up call.

Although he loved Sarah with all his heart, and loved being with her, Mulder wanted to spend time alone with Scully. He felt it was important to build on the intimate side of their relationship, and sometimes that was difficult with an inquisitive young child in the house, although he had trained Sarah to knock on the bedroom door before she entered. The night the young girl had caught him and Scully in an advanced state of undress in the latter's apartment was ingrained on his memory. They could laugh about it now, but at the time, Scully had wanted to die with embarrassment, even though Sarah was half asleep when she had stumbled into Scully's living room in search of a glass of water and didn't remember much the next morning.

So any opportunity for intimacy was grasped enthusiastically.

Mulder and Scully had had a couple of weekends away on their own and Margaret was always happy to take Sarah off their hands when they wanted some time alone. The arrangement worked very well and they made sure that Sarah didn't lose out. The little girl always received a treat of some sort later.

Mulder darted into the living room. Both were running a tad late after their early morning romantic interlude and he had one last thing to pick up before they took off for the office.

"Mulder, what are you doing with Sarah's Spice Girls CD?"

demanded Scully, seeing her husband shove the disc into his briefcase.

He started, and laid a hand on his chest, covering his racing heart. "Don't do that, Scully - you frightened the life out of me."

"Don't avoid the question, Mulder. What do you want with Sarah's CD?"

"Special mission, Scully," replied Mulder, tapping the side of his nose. The idea had come to him just as he drifted off after their lovemaking the night before.

"What special mission?" Scully eyed him suspiciously.

"Can't tell you. If I told you, I'd have to kill you."

"Oh, very James Bond. Come on, Mulder - what are you up to?"

"Patience, Scully. All will be revealed in due course." Mulder snapped his briefcase shut.

"I hate it when you're like this," she sighed.

"You know you love me really," grinned Mulder and Scully rolled her eyes. "Especially after last night and this morning." His grin grew even wider and his eyebrows waggled.

Scully gave him a long suffering look. "Just make sure you get that CD back here before Sarah discovers it's missing, or there'll be hell to pay."

"Trust me, Scully - she won't even know it's been removed."

Mulder handed Scully a mug of fresh coffee just as the office phone rang. She picked it up and spoke into it with her usual brisk efficiency, then placed a hand over the mouthpiece. "It's for you, Mulder." Scully paused. "It's the school."

Mulder's stomach lurched. The school wouldn't be calling unless it was bad news. "Is Sarah all right?" he asked anxiously, taking the handset from her and preparing himself for the worst.

"I don't know, Mulder, they just asked for you."

Their eyes met as he spoke into the phone. "This is Fox Mulder."

He listened as the person on the other end related the reason for calling, closing his eyes briefly and rubbing the tips of two fingers over the little frown that had formed between his brows. "All right, I'll be there at 2.30. Thank you for calling." He slowly replaced the receiver and sighed.

"What's happened, Mulder?" asked Scully. She didn't know what to think.

He sighed again, deeply. "Apparently Sarah got into a fight."

"A fight?!" gasped Scully. "But Sarah doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body!" She couldn't believe it. The little girl had a temper, but she wasn't one to lash out and strike anyone.

"Well, that's what I've just been told, Scully. She hit some girl and made her nose bleed."

"Did they say why?"

"No. I've agreed to go down there this afternoon and sort it out."

"I'll come with you, Mulder. That is, if you don't mind."

He reached out and took her hand. "No, I don't mind, Scully. I think it's a good idea? it'll probably be a good thing to have your calming influence beside me."

As always happens with the best laid plans, things go wrong.

Just as Mulder and Scully were about to take a break for lunch, Mulder was summoned to the Assistant Director's office and told that his services were needed immediately elsewhere. He knew it would be useless to protest it had never gotten him anywhere before. As he made his disgruntled way back to the basement he wished for once that they'd call in another agent. Mulder wasn't the only profiler that the Bureau had, but he was undoubtedly the best. In a way, they were paying him a backhanded compliment every time they requested his expertise.

When Mulder reached the office, he explained the position as succinctly as he could. He slipped into his overcoat, and checked his pockets for everything that he thought he would need. "Scully, about the school?"

Scully's small hand closed around his wrist and squeezed gently.

"Don't worry, Mulder I'll take care of it."

"Thanks. I'll call later and let you know what's happening."

"All right. Take care, Mulder."

"Mrs Mulder to see you."

Mrs Whitworth, the school principal, stood as her secretary ushered Scully into the office. She held out her hand, and Scully shook it with a firm grasp. "Thank you for coming, Mrs Mulder.

Please, take a seat." Mrs Whitworth waited until Scully had sat down before retaking her own seat. "I was expecting to see Mr Mulder," she said.

Scully gave an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry, my husband was called away urgently, and I've come in his place. We're both very concerned about this incident involving our daughter, and my husband felt that rather than let it drag on until he's available, it would be better if I came down and dealt with it today." Scully's friendly expression, with it's underlying hint of steel, dared the principal to disagree.

"Of course. I'm as anxious as you are for the matter to be resolved." Mrs Whitworth paused briefly. "I have to say that I was surprised by Sarah's behaviour this morning - since her problem earlier this year, she has been an exemplary student."

"Thank you. My husband has been very pleased with her progress and the way she's settled down." Scully pre-empted the principal's next line of questioning, saying, "Sarah is very happy here, and at home."

Mrs Whitworth smiled. "I have no doubts about that, Mrs Mulder."

Scully was glad to hear it. She placed her hands in her lap, ready to get down to business and said, "I'd like to hear Sarah's version of events, if I may."

"Certainly." The principal buzzed through to her secretary and asked for Sarah to be sent in.

The little girl came into the room, closed the door behind her and stood in front of the principal's desk. She was surprised to see Scully sitting there and not her father. Before she could stop herself, Sarah asked anxiously, "Where's Daddy?"

"Do you mind if I explain?" asked Scully. Mrs Whitworth shook her head and Scully quickly related the reason for Mulder's absence, noting Sarah's tense stance relax once her mind was set at ease. The principal was free to continue.

"Sarah, I asked your parents to come to see me because of the incident you were involved in this morning. Would you like to tell us what happened?"

The little girl took a deep breath. "We were practising our Spice Girls and Natalie Blackburn came over and said we couldn't do the Spice Girls 'cause she was going to do it. I said she couldn't because we thought of it first. Then she pulled my hair and kicked me and called me a naughty word and said horrible things about Daddy. So I hit her and made her nose bleed."

"Do you mind if I ask a question?" said Scully, wondering whether it had been the assault on Sarah or the fact that the other girl had insulted Mulder that had made Sarah lash out.

"Please do," replied Mrs Whitworth.

"Sarah, where did Natalie kick you?"

"On my leg," answered the little girl.

"Show me."

Sarah lifted the right leg of her red plaid pants and showed Scully the spot. There were definite signs of a bruise appearing.

Scully smiled. "Thank you, sweetheart."

Mrs Whitworth smiled too. "Thank you, Sarah. Please wait outside while I talk to your mother."

Scully watched her daughter go, just catching sight of the smile that Sarah threw her before she closed the door, then turned back to the principal. "What do you know about the other girl?"

"Natalie does have a tendency to bully the younger girls,"

admitted Mrs Whitworth.

From that, Scully deduced that it wasn't the first time the girl had been in trouble. "I assume you'll be speaking to her parents?"

"Of course."

"How do you propose to punish Sarah?"

"I realise that Sarah was provoked, and that this behaviour is quite out of character for her. I don't see any benefit in removing her from the school show Sarah and her little group have worked extremely hard on their routine. I will, however, be writing to you and the Blackburns formally to let you know that any further behaviour along the lines of this morning's incident will result in suspension, and possible exclusion."

Scully nodded. She thought the punishment was fair, and was pleased that Sarah wasn't to be barred from the show after all her hard work.

Mrs Whitworth stood. "I'll let Sarah know what action I've decided to take." She brought Sarah back into the office to tell the child her fate. The principal looked up into the anxious little face on the other side of her desk. "Sarah, we've already spoken a little about the incident this morning. Fighting is not acceptable behaviour in school, and it will not be tolerated. If I find you coming before me again for the same reason, you will be suspended, and possibly excluded. Do you understand?"

"Yes, Mrs Whitworth," answered the little girl.

The principal smiled. "All right, Sarah you may return to your class."

"Thank you," said Scully, once Sarah was out of the room. She knew that Mulder would be relieved with the outcome. "I can say as far as Sarah is concerned that this won't happen again."

Mulder was indeed relieved at the outcome of Scully's visit to the school. She had filled him in on his return home that evening and they decided that they would speak to Sarah after dinner to reinforce what she had been told at school by the principal.

Sarah was just about to run off to her room when her father caught her shoulders. "Not so fast, young lady." He smiled down at her. "Come and sit with me, sweetheart I want to talk to you."

Sarah knew that whenever her father asked her to sit with him and talk, it was usually serious. She looked up at him, and Scully saw the same anxious expression that the little girl had worn in Mrs Whitworth's office. Scully took an armchair while Sarah sat beside her father on the sofa. Although Scully would not take an active part in Mulder's discussion with Sarah, it was important that the little girl saw her mother and father presenting a united front.

Mulder's arm lay comfortably around his daughter's small shoulders. "Sweetheart, I want to talk about what happened at school today," he said in a gentle tone. He felt it was important that Sarah knew he wasn't angry that would get them precisely nowhere. "I know you lost your temper and hit out, but that's not the right thing to do. You could have hurt Natalie badly you could have broken her nose."

"But she started it, Daddy! She pulled my hair and kicked me!"

cried Sarah indignantly as all the injustice of the situation rose up in her.

Mulder's fingers stroked up and down his daughter's arm. "I know, Sarah, but you should have ignored her?"

"She said nasty things about you, Daddy." Sarah had wrapped her arm around her father's middle and laid her head on his chest.

"What did she say?" asked Mulder, intrigued, despite himself.

"I can't tell you. Natalie said bad words."

"Well, it doesn't matter." Mulder had heard it all in his time.

He didn't think there was an epithet under the sun that he hadn't been called. "What does matters is that you can't go around hitting the other children at school when they make you angry, however much you want to." His fingers combed through Sarah's hair for a moment. "Sit up for a minute, sweetheart." He couldn't discuss this without seeing her face, and Mulder turned slightly so that he was looking straight at her. All the time, he maintained that same gentle way of speaking.

"Sarah, Mrs Whitworth told you that any more fighting would not be tolerated and if it happened again, you would be suspended. Do you understand what that means?"

Sarah nodded gravely.

"Okay. Would you tell me what you think it means?"

"It means that I'm not allowed to go to school for a while. I have to have time out so that I can think about what I've done."

"That's right," nodded Mulder. "Do you understand what it means to be excluded?"

"I'm not sure, Daddy."

"It means that you wouldn't be able to go to that school any more. You'd have to leave all your friends behind, and Mommy and I would have to find you a new school, where you'd have to make new friends."

"But Daddy, I like my school and my friends," said Sarah.

Mulder smiled, and cupped her cheek. "I know you do, sweetheart.

That's why it's important that you don't get into any more trouble there. I know we've talked about this before, but what should you do if someone hits you or is nasty to you?"

"Go and find a teacher."

"Good girl." Mulder gave her a squeeze to show that he was pleased that she remembered. "And if you can't go and find a teacher, what should you do?"

"Ask one of my friends to go."

"Very good, sweetheart." He kissed her forehead. "So, are we agreed that you won't get into any more trouble at school?"

Sarah nodded.

"That's excellent." He glanced across to Scully. "Is there anything you'd like to add, Scully?"

She rose and joined her husband and daughter on the sofa, taking the little girl's hand. "I just want to add one thing?" Scully gently pushed a strand of hair behind the child's ear. "Sweetheart, I just want you to know that you can come to me or Daddy at any time, and about any thing, okay?" Both Mulder and Scully had impressed on Sarah that she could talk to either of them about any problems, worries or difficulties without being judged and now seemed to be an ideal time to remind her of it.

"I know, Mommy," answered the little girl.

Scully smiled. "Good. I think that about covers everything, Mulder."

"Then I think we're done." He smiled down at his daughter.

"Come here." Mulder opened his arms - Sarah leaned against him and he wrapped them around her and hugged her. He brushed his cheek against her silken hair and said softly, "I love you, Sarah."

"I love you too, Daddy," answered the little girl. "Can Mommy share our hug too?"

"Of course she can."

Scully squeezed closer to Sarah and they enjoyed a three way cuddle.

The rest of the evening passed quietly. Mulder listened to his daughter read for a while before the little girl had her bath and went to bed. Now Mulder and Scully lay in bed themselves Scully's head pillowed on his chest, his arm around her and his fingers stroking lightly up and down her arm.

"Maybe I should have sent Sarah to a private school," sighed Mulder. "I did think of it, when she first came to live here. I would have found the money somehow. I wanted her to have the best, Scully."

"I know, Mulder, but all schools have their bullies, even private ones." Scully's fingertips traced random patterns on his chest.

"This was a one off incident Sarah was provoked and she retaliated in the only way she knew how, by lashing out."

"I hope you're right." He was quiet for a long time, and then when he spoke it was barely audible. "I was bullied, Scully."

"When?" she asked, raising herself slightly to look into his face. This was news to her. In all the years they had been together, he had never shared this with her. "Why didn't you tell me before?"

Mulder gave a short laugh. "It's not the sort of thing you like to admit to, Scully. And it was embarrassing? a strapping lad like Fox Mulder unable to take care of himself? Even my own father couldn't believe my inability to stand up and 'be a man'."

"When was this, Mulder?"

"After Samantha disappeared," he replied softly. "There was a group of boys, a few from my class, some a little older, and they would taunt me about my sister. They'd follow me around at school, then follow me home, all the while taunting me, calling me names?

they even told people that I'd killed Samantha."

"Oh, Mulder." Scully squeezed him gently, not knowing what else to do or say.

"They hated the fact that I had more than my fair share of brainpower and they made my life a misery because of it. At one point, I even started making deliberate mistakes in my schoolwork, trying to make myself look less intelligent than I really was."

"What happened?" asked Scully softly.

Mulder sighed. "My parents were called to the school after the consistent deterioration in my schoolwork and grades, and that's when it all came out. My father wasn't in the least supportive, my mother was out of it? I was just left hanging in the wind. I felt totally alone." His voice wobbled as he said, "I don't want that for Sarah.

She's a clever little girl, Scully? I don't want her to suffer for it."

"She won't, Mulder. There's much more awareness of bullying these days, and you've taught Sarah well she knows to go and speak to a teacher if someone starts picking on her."

"I guess so, Scully. That's all I can do as much as I want to protect her, I can't be there with her every minute of the day." He combed his fingers slowly through her hair, and pressed a kiss to her brow. "It's late, we should get some sleep."

Scully adjusted her position and leaned in to share a kiss, her fingertips tracing over Mulder's cheek. "I love you, Mulder," she said softly.

"I know, Scully." Their lips touched again. "I love you too."

"Mommy, do you know where my Spice Girl's CD is? I can't find it." Sarah had turned the living room and her bedroom upside down in the search for her CD. Now she stood beside her mother at the kitchen counter.

"Where did you leave?" Then Scully suddenly remembered. So much for Mulder saying that Sarah wouldn't even notice it was gone. That had been two days ago. "Your father took it, sweetheart."

"What for?" asked the little girl. Scully didn't miss the anxious expression on Sarah's face. "Is Daddy going to throw my CD away?"

"No, Sarah. He wanted to borrow it."

"Why?"

"I don't know? maybe he wanted to listen to it in the car."

Sarah didn't think that could be right. The child was well aware of her father's feelings on the Spice Girls and their music. The little girl crossed her arms and looked most disgruntled. "Daddy should have asked me first. He always says that I have to ask if I want to borrow other people's things."

Scully allowed herself a little smile at another example of her husband not practising what he preached. If Sarah's expression was anything to go by, Mulder was in for a roasting when he arrived home.

Sure enough, Sarah kept watch by the window, next to the Christmas tree, to await her father's return. As soon as his car pulled into their drive, she had the front door open and was standing on the step.

"Hi, sweetheart. How's my girl?" He ran a hand over her hair and kissed her.

"You took my Spice Girl's CD without asking, Daddy," answered Sarah in an accusatory tone. "You told me that I have to ask permission if I want to borrow something that belongs to someone else."

Mulder was taken aback by this greeting. There was nothing for it but to put his hands up and admit that he had taken the CD. "I'm sorry I took your CD without asking Sarah, but I wanted it for something special." He closed the door behind them.

"What did you want it for, Daddy?" The little girl was curious.

"I'd be interested to know that too, Mulder," added Scully, appearing at the kitchen doorway.

"Ooh, the combined might of the Mulder women, forcing me into revealing my secret!" Mulder grinned as he took off his coat and laid it over the chair in the hall. Scully shook her head. "Come with me, ladies, and all will be revealed." Scully and Sarah followed Mulder into the living room. He reached into the box he was carrying and removed a cassette tape, which he loaded into the sound system. "Now, listen very carefully." Mulder pressed the play button and they listened. Mulder's clandestine mission with Sarah's CD was about to be revealed.

Sarah was the first to recognise what they were listening to.

"It's the music to "Wannabe," she said, looking up at her father in wonder.

"Very clever!" Mulder smiled and squeezed her. "It's called a 'backing track', like you have on a karaoke machine."

"Where did you get it, Mulder?" asked Scully.

"From the same place I got these." He reached into the box once more and pulled out a state of the art radio mike on a headset, just like the ones he and Scully sometimes used at work. He handed it to his daughter. "There's one for each of you, Sarah. Lots of famous singers and groups use these on stage. You'll be like a proper group now. If you like, you can invite the rest of your friends over on Saturday so that you can rehearse with the headsets and the backing track."

"Can I, Daddy?" Sarah regarded him expectantly.

"Yes," he smiled. "And tell them they're invited to stay for something to eat."

Sarah was off to phone her friends and tell them all about the invite and their latest piece of fortune.

"That was nice of you, Mulder," said Scully, wrapping her arms around him.

"I've been wanting to make up for Sarah's disappointment over her costume and the idea suddenly came to me the other night. I asked the guys to make the backing track and they also came up with the headsets."

"Sarah was really worried when she couldn't find her CD. She thought you'd thrown it away."

Mulder chuckled. "No wonder I got a telling off at the door. I only meant to have it for that one day but that damned case came up and I didn't get the time to see the guys."

"You haven't given the girls much time to master this, Mulder.

The performance is only four days away."

"I don't think they'll have any problems, Scully - they're all quick learners and I'm sure Sarah will soon whip them into shape!"


Time seemed to be passing quicker than ever, and Saturday was soon upon them. There was still much to do around the house before Christmas actually dawned. To Scully's amazement, Mulder had decided to sort out some of the boxes in the den, while she was preparing a room for her mother. The same room, with a change of bed linen, would be used to house Mulder's mother over the New Year. All Scully could hear as she went about her tasks was banging and clattering coming from the direction of the den. Lord knows what Mulder was doing in there, she thought to herself as she positioned a pretty floral print on the bedroom wall. Probably making an already messy room ten times worse, she figured with an affectionate smile.

Sarah, meanwhile, was waiting for her friends to arrive. She had helped both her mother and father throughout the morning with their chores, earning herself a little bit of extra pocket money in the process for assisting with some special tasks.

Vanessa, as usual, was the first to arrive. Whatever other problems the child had, she was always punctual. Mulder and Scully came out to say hello, then the two little girls disappeared into the living room to await the other members of their little troupe. As soon as they sat down, Vanessa pulled something out of her pocket.

"Look what I've got," she said, with an excited smile. She held out a small piece of greenery, with some milky white berries attached to it.

"What is it?" asked Sarah, taking it from her friend and examining it. The little sprig looked very sorry for itself.

"It's mistletoe."

Sarah touched the cloudy berries with a fingertip. "Can you eat these?"

"No, you mustn't eat the berries. They're poisonous." Sarah quickly drew her finger away and Vanessa went on to say, "If your mom and dad stand underneath this, they have to kiss."

That sounded like fun to Sarah. "Let's put it up later!" she said, her eyes sparkling.

"Okay!" And so the plot was hatched.

Mulder and Scully had adjourned to the kitchen for a well earned mug of coffee and a rest. Mulder was aching from lifting the boxes some of which were heavy with his vast collection of books - and the constant bending and stretching.

"I ache all over, Scully," he groaned. "Even my aches have aches."

Scully chuckled softly. Trust Mulder to exaggerate his suffering. "I'd advise you to have a warm bath later," she replied.

"Would you wash my back for me?" he grinned.

"I might do." Scully looked at him over the rim of her mug. "If you're really lucky, I might even give you a massage." Mulder almost choked on his coffee. "With baby oil," added Scully seductively.

Mulder was now positively goggle eyed.

"Are you serious, Scully?"

"I could be." She took a slow drink from her mug. "Interested?"

Scully's eyebrow had raised in its customary manner.

Interested? If Sarah and Vanessa hadn't been in the next room, he would have taken Scully up on her offer there and then. Mulder swallowed - hard. "Sure." He tried to sound vaguely nonchalant but failed. "And after the massage?" Was it too much to hope that the massage might lead to other things?

Scully smiled. She had him. "Let's start with the massage and see where it takes us, shall we?"

Mulder nodded dumbly. All he could think about was how long it was until bath time.

A couple of hours later, Mulder and Scully were in the kitchen, setting out plates of food on the table. They had decided to make the meal into a small pre-show party for their daughter and her friends.

Sarah didn't know this, and had been told to keep out of the kitchen in the same way that she had told her parents to stay out of the living room as the group rehearsed.

"Where do you want these, Scully?" Mulder stood there holding a plate of cheese straws.

"On the side there, Mulder." Scully pointed to a spot on the right of the table. She set down a bowl of dried apricots and another of mixed nuts. Sarah loved both and had them often in her school lunch box rather than store bought candy.

They could hear their daughter putting her friends through their paces; every so often they heard Sarah pull one of them up for turning left instead of right.

"I never realised my daughter was such a hard taskmaster,"

commented Mulder, setting down a bowl of cottage cheese and a plate of tortilla chips.

"Sarah wants to win that prize, Mulder," smiled Scully.

"Do you think she has any chance, Scully?" Mulder looked a bit doubtful.

"I think she has every chance. If they were awarding a prize for dedication, I have no doubt that Sarah and her little group would walk away with it." Sarah was just like her father in that respect despite whatever insecurities he had in his life, if there was something he believed in, he had confidence in it. Mulder had clearly passed that on to his daughter.

"I just don't want Sarah to get over-confident. I don't think that I could cope with the fall out if she didn't win."

"Well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I know that Sarah would be desperately disappointed, but we'd handle it. Don't worry about it." Scully took a step back and surveyed the table.

"I'll just put the pizzas on and then we're done. Mulder, there's a couple of 'Good Luck' banners in that cabinet - could you stick them up for me?"

Mulder located the banners and some adhesive tape. "Where do you want them, Scully?"

"Er?" Scully looked around. "Stick them across the front of the top cabinets."

"You're sure, Scully? You won't want something out of those cabinets later?"

"No. Everything I need is either out already or in the lower cupboards."

"Okay. I'll make us some coffee when I've done this."

Neither Mulder nor Scully, being so busy in the kitchen, had noticed that the music in the living room had stopped.

Sarah and her cohorts had crept out into the hall and the little girl had taken the chair by the hall table and placed it in the living room doorway. As Vanessa was the tallest, and the mistletoe was hers, she had been elected to hang it.

"Quickly, Vanessa," hissed Sarah urgently, holding the chair steady. Vanessa taped the ratty piece of mistletoe over the living room doorway then swiftly clambered down off the chair. Sarah set the chair back in its place in the hall.

"What are they up to out there?" said Scully, hearing furtive whispering, giggling and rustling emanating from the hallway.

"I think now's the time to worry," replied Mulder as it all went quiet. "Do you think we should investigate?"

Scully stood. "I'll go - you finish your coffee."

Sarah, keeping watch, darted back into the living room as soon as she saw Scully step out of the kitchen. "Mommy's coming!" she hissed and all the little girls stood quivering with anticipation.

"You've all gone very quiet," smiled Scully, standing in the doorway, directly beneath the mistletoe. "Is anything wrong?"

"No, Mommy. We were just having a rest," said Sarah, trying hard to convey her best innocent expression.

Scully's brow creased slightly - she was certain they were up to something. "Would you like me to fix you some drinks?"

"In a minute," answered Sarah. Suddenly, there was a snort of laughter from Lucy - she had been unable to contain it any longer.

Then the others started to giggle, and Scully became aware of five pairs of eyes darting from her face to above her head and back again.

Scully slowly looked up. A smile crept over her face as she closed her eyes and rested her hands on her hips. Those little minxes?

Scully opened her eyes again and saw five grinning faces looking back at her.

"Mulder, you'd better come here," she called.

Immediately he came rushing out of the kitchen, not knowing what he was going to find. "What's the matter, Scully?"

She waited until he got close, then pointed above her head.

Mulder's eyes travelled upwards and came to rest on the sprig of mistletoe. The girls erupted into excited giggling.

"Daddy, you have to kiss Mommy!" trilled Sarah, bouncing up and down in anticipation.

Mulder shook his head, a wry grin on his face, and thought he'd have a little fun. "Do I have to?" he asked.

"Yes, Daddy."

"But I don't want to," he whined, putting on his best puppy dog face. "She might bite me. Mommy has such sharp teeth."

"Mulder!" cried Scully indignantly, elbowing him in the ribs. The girls squealed with glee.

"You have to, Daddy," insisted Sarah.

"Well, if that's the case? hang onto your hat, Scully." Without warning, he grasped Scully and dipped with her, making her shriek in surprise. Her head almost brushed the floor and her arms flailed in the air, then she quickly wrapped them around him as his lips met hers. All they could hear were the squeals and claps of delight from the assembled audience.

Eventually, Mulder let Scully up, a big grin on his face. "You little scamps," he said, waving a finger at the girls. "You had us big time." He ruffled his daughter's hair, then turned back to Scully. "Shall we let them into our secret now?" he asked.

"All right," answered Scully.

"Come this way, ladies." Mulder led the girls to the kitchen.

Sarah's eyes nearly popped out when she saw the spread of food and the banners on the cabinets.

"Are we having a party, Daddy?" she asked, her eyes alight with anticipation.

"Sort of," he replied. "Mommy and I thought it would be nice to do this to wish you all luck with the show."

Sarah was utterly delighted at this impromptu celebration and she gave her parents a hug each.

"So, are you ready to eat?" asked Scully. Were they ever!

"I thought girls were supposed to be the weaker sex, Scully.

Look at this - " Mulder spread his hand over the table, palm up.

"There's not a morsel left! They're like a plague of locusts!"

Scully chuckled. "I'd rather that than five fussy eaters any day. They enjoy their food, Mulder, that's all."

"They can sure pack it away - they could eat any boy under the table, I should think."

"They've been rehearsing all afternoon. No doubt all that dancing about made them ravenous. And what's all this about girls being the weaker sex? Isn't that a bit sexist, Mulder?"

Oh oh, thought Mulder - I'm in trouble. "I was just quoting the old adage, Scully."

"I hope so, Mulder. I would hate to think that you view me as weak." Her blue eyes skewered him like lasers.

Mulder slipped his arms around her waist. "Never, Scully.

You're the last person I'd want to meet in an alleyway on a dark night."

"Just you wait, Mulder," replied Scully as his chuckle brushed her ear. "You'll pay for that!"

The day of the performance had finally arrived. Scully had taken the day off to help prepare Sarah for her big moment. Mulder had already gone by the time the little girl woke up - he had been called down to the office early in connection with the other case he was assisting with.

"Daddy will be there tonight, won't he?" asked Sarah anxiously, looking up from her honey and bran oatmeal.

"He'll be there, sweetheart, " Scully assured her.

After breakfast came the first of the phone calls. It was Margaret Scully, and she sounded dreadful.

"Dana, I don't think I can make it tonight. I have a terrible cold - the last thing I want to do is pass it on to the rest of you so close to Christmas."

"I'm sorry you can't come, Mom, and I know Sarah will be disappointed, but I think you're doing the right thing. You don't want it get worse and develop into pneumonia. Hopefully you should be better by Christmas."

"I hope so, dear. I'm looking forward to spending Christmas with you and Fox and Sarah."

"We're looking forward to having you here, Mom."

"I'll let you go, Dana - I know you have a lot to do to get Sarah ready for her big night. Give her my love and tell her that I'm very sorry that I'll miss her performance. Wish her good luck? I'm sure she'll be the best in the show."

"I will, Mom. You take care, and I'll call you tomorrow to see how you are and to let you know how Sarah fares tonight."

Sarah appeared as Scully replaced the receiver. "Who was that, Mommy?"

Scully crouched down so that she was on eye level with the little girl. "That was Granny Margaret, sweetheart. She called to say that she won't be able to make it tonight - she's not well."

"Is she still coming for Christmas?" asked Sarah.

"Assuming Granny's well enough, she'll be here for Christmas.

She has a nasty cold and didn't want to pass it on to anyone else."

Scully saw the disappointment in the young girl's eyes and she stroked her arm comfortingly. "Granny sends you her love, and wishes you good luck for tonight. She said she knows you'll be the best in the show."

"I wish Granny could come," said Sarah. "She'll have to see the video when she comes at Christmas."

"I'm sure Granny will look forward to that, Sarah," answered Scully.

Sarah's transformation into Scary Spice was well under way.

She'd had a bath and hair wash and now Scully was carefully rolling up Sarah's hair.

"Ow, Mommy! You pulled my hair!" griped the little girl.

"I'm sorry sweetheart, I didn't mean to. I have to pull it tight to get the right effect. I'll try not to hurt you again."

Scully had just inserted the last roller when the phone rang again. This time it was Sarah's Granny Page, calling from Boston.

The little girl dashed to the phone to speak to her beloved grandmother. As with Granny Mulder, Sarah put in a weekly call to her maternal grandmother to keep her up to date with all her news.

"Granny Page!" she cried excitedly.

"Hello darling. How are you, Sarah?"

"I'm very well, thank you, Granny. How are you?"

"I'm fine, sweetheart. Are you excited about tonight?"

"Yes, Granny. I just had a bath and a hair wash and Mommy rolled up my hair. And guess what, Granny - Daddy got his friends to make us a backing track and he brought home some special headsets with microphones so that we can be like real pop stars!"

Kathleen Page was always cheered by her granddaughter's enthusiasm, and she was pleased that Sarah had settled down so well with her new family and in her new surroundings. She missed the little girl terribly, for they were extremely close, but she knew that Sarah was in the best place for her. Kathleen had known all about Annie's reservations as to Mulder's suitability as a father, but she didn't share them, and the first time she saw Mulder with his infant daughter she knew she had been right. He was devoted to the child.

Neither did Kathleen agree with Annie's decision to keep Mulder at a distance throughout her pregnancy and the birth, but Annie was stubborn to the point of obstinacy and her wishes prevailed.

"That's wonderful, Sarah. I wish I could be there to see you."

"I wish you could come too, Granny, but Daddy's going to video it so you can see it next time we visit."

"I'd like that, Sarah," said the old lady warmly. "You know sweetheart, I'm sure your mommy would be very proud of you."

"I wish Mommy could see me," said Sarah wistfully. "I miss her, Granny. I love Dana lots, but I miss Mommy. Do you think she knows about the show? Do you think she'll be able to see me on the stage?"

"I'm sure mommy knows all about your show and she'll be there watching you. You won't be able to see her, but she'll be able to see you."

"I asked Daddy about Mommy and he said that she's always with me.

She watches over me. Does that mean Mommy's like an angel?"

"I suppose it does," answered Sarah's granny. "She'll always take care of you and guide you, sweetheart. Mommy loved you very much." There was a slight quaver in the old lady's voice as she spoke, then a short silence as she collected herself. "I'd better go now, sweetheart."

"All right, Granny. When will I see you again?"

"I don't know, dear. Maybe you can come to visit sometime in the New Year." One thing Kathleen was grateful for was Mulder's willingness for Sarah to maintain contact with her maternal family.

There was never any problem or argument about the little girl going to Boston to visit her other relatives.

"I'll ask Daddy if you can come and stay with us next time. You can see our new house and my new bedroom."

"That would be nice, Sarah. Your new house looked very pretty from the photos you sent me." Granny Page paused. "I have to go now, sweetheart. Good luck for tonight - I know you'll do your very best.

Will you call me tomorrow and let me know who won?"

"I'm going to win, Granny." Sarah was most definite about that.

"I'm sure you are, darling," chuckled the old lady. "You take care now, Sarah, and give my regards to Dana and your father."

"Okay. I love you, Granny."

"I love you too, sweetheart."

Sarah stood completely still as Scully applied the temporary tanning lotion to the little girl's arms, hands, neck and shoulders; then moving on to her ankles and the tops and sides of her feet - the only parts of Sarah's body that would be exposed. The colour would take a couple of hours to develop and Scully hoped that it would be a passable imitation of Scary Spice's dusky hue. Sarah would look like a patchwork quilt for a couple of days, until the tan faded, but Scully felt the extra effort was worth it. If something was worth doing, it was worth doing well.

"What do we do now, Mommy?" asked Sarah.

"I think we'll have some lunch, then in a little while I'll see how your hair's coming along." The little girl's hair was long and lush and Scully knew it would take longer than usual to dry with rollers in it. She only hoped that Sarah's hair would hold the curl after all the hard work she'd put into it.

They'd just finished their pasta salad when the telephone rang yet again.

"I'll get it, Mommy. It might be Daddy." Sarah slipped off her chair and trotted to the phone, lifting the receiver. "Mulder residence." There was a brief pause and then, "Granny Mulder!"

"Hello, Sarah." The well modulated tones were warm as Teena addressed her granddaughter. "I thought I'd call to wish you luck for tonight."

"Thank you, Granny," answered the child.

"I'm sorry I can't be there to see you, darling - I'm sure your performance will be excellent."

"Daddy's going to video it, so you can see it when you come at New Year's."

"I'm already looking forward to it," replied Teena. "Did you know that your father was in a few school productions when he was a boy?"

"No, Granny. Can you tell me about them?" This revelation was very interesting to the little girl.

"It'll take too long to tell you now, Sarah - how about I tell you all about it when I see you after Christmas?"

"Do you promise, Granny?"

"I promise, sweetheart." Teena knew that even if she forgot, her granddaughter would remind her. "I think I even have some pictures."

"Can you bring them with you?" asked Sarah eagerly. She couldn't wait to see the photos of her father as a boy, and in costume. In contrast to Scully, Mulder had hardly any photographic souvenirs of his family or his growing up, other than the pictures of Samantha.

The bulk of the Mulder photographic archive was in his mother's possession - when Mulder had finally left home all those years ago, he'd taken only the prints of his sister. She was the only thing that mattered or meant anything to him at the time.

"If I can find them, I'll bring them," answered Teena. "Well, I'd better go now, darling. Have a wonderful evening, and give me a call to let me know how you get on."

"I will, Granny. I love you."

"I love you too, sweetheart. Bye now."

"Sweetheart, you have to sit still while I put this make up on you. I don't want it to smudge," said Scully. She knew it must be difficult for the usually active little girl to keep still for what seem like forever. She couldn't blame her for fidgeting.

"How long will it take, Mommy?"

"It'll take as long as it takes, Sarah. We want it to look right, don't we?" Scully glanced again at the head and shoulders magazine shot of Scary Spice. She'd had the foresight to keep it by her for reference. Scully picked up the cosmetic sponge and dabbed a little more bronzing powder onto Sarah's cheeks. She had put it all over the little girl's face, blending it away to the neck - luckily Scully had been able to find an almost perfect match with the fake tan so hopefully solving the problem of tidemarks. Scully took a step back, and satisfied that she had the skin tone about right, she moved on to Sarah's eyes.

"When can we see what my hair looks like?" asked the little girl "When I've finished your make up," replied Scully. "Close your eyes for a moment, Sarah." Scully applied some neutral coloured eyeshadow all over Sarah's lids and browbone. "That's good, sweetheart. Keep them closed for just a little longer." Next Scully applied some sparkly silver shadow, just like Scary was wearing in the magazine picture.

"This is boring, Mommy." Sarah swung her long legs back and forth under the table.

"I know it is, honey, but you want to look good, don't you?"

Sarah forgot she was supposed to keep still and she nodded.

"What did I just say, Sarah? You must keep still, sweetheart! I nearly poked your eye out with the mascara brush just then."

"Sorry, Mommy." The child looked suitably contrite.

"It's okay, Sarah. It is boring, I know, but I've nearly finished. I'm just going to put a little bit of mascara on the ends of your lashes, so you'll have to look up for me."

Sarah did that and asked, "Can I have my ears pierced, Mommy?"

"I don't know, sweetheart. Could you just look down for me now?

You'll have to ask your father."

"But he might say no."

"Well, you won't know until you ask him, will you?" answered Scully, capping the mascara. She was just about to pick up the lipstick when the phone jangled. As they were in the kitchen, she took the call there. It was Mulder.

"Hi there. How's it going?" he asked. "How's the budding star?"

"Fine. It's going very well. How are things with you? Will you be able to get away on time?"

"I'll be there, Scully."

"Okay. You want a quick word with Sarah?"

"I can't now, Scully. I've got a call waiting on another line.

I ring back in a little while." With that, the line went dead.

Scully and Sarah took the opportunity for a short break after Mulder's call, and had a drink and an apricot and oatmeal square each.

Scully had made them and Sarah loved them.

"Can I have another one, please?" asked the little girl, regarding her mother hopefully.

How could Scully refuse? "All right." She passed the container to her daughter, who dipped her hand in and brought out one of the chewy titbits.

"I like your oatmeal squares and cookies, Mommy. And your brownies. You're the best cook in the world."

"Thank you, Sarah." A broad smile lit up Scully's face and she carefully patted the child's cheek, mindful of the make up that covered it. It thrilled Scully to know that Mulder and Sarah were appreciative of her cooking. She'd never really bothered when she was alone, but once Mulder and his daughter had come into her life, she had resurrected the skills she had learned at her mother's side.

Scully reckoned she was a competent cook - she was far better at it than her sister Melissa had ever been. She'd had no interest in matters domestic whatsoever.

Time was getting on, and once Sarah had finished her drink and oatmeal square, it was back to their preparations. Scully applied some lipstick to Sarah's generous, full Mulder lips, blotted, then applied another layer. Now all that was left to deal with was Sarah's hair.

Scully carefully undid the small rollers one by one. There seemed to be hundreds of them, although that wasn't the case in reality. It appeared that way because Sarah had a lot of hair to deal with. Eventually, and to Scully's relief, she reached the last one.

She ran her fingers gently through Sarah's hair to separate the curls - she didn't want to risk using a brush or comb in case it made the curls drop out.

"You're all done, sweetheart. You can put the pants and shoes on now."

Sarah was already wearing the little top, covered by a towel.

Scully hadn't wanted to risk getting make up on it. The little girl pulled on the skin tight pants, then stepped into the shoes.

"How do I look, Mommy?"

"I have a few other things yet," answered Scully, and from a bag she removed a silver arm bangle, which fitted Sarah's upper arm, and several silver rings to fit different fingers.

"Can I go and look now?" Sarah had no idea what she looked like Scully had wanted it to be a complete surprise - and the little girl was anxious to see the transformation.

"Okay," chuckled Scully. "You can go and look now."

Sarah was gone in an instant, with Scully trailing behind.

Sarah stared at herself in her mother's full length mirror for a long time, not sure that the person looking back at her was really her.

"Mommy!" she exclaimed.

"What do you think, sweetheart?" Scully was just as anxious to hear Sarah's verdict on all her hard work.

Sarah took in the dusky coloured skin, the make-up and the cascade of corkscrew curls. She turned this way and that, walked forward to peer closely into the mirror and examine her eye make-up then stepped back again.

"Sarah?"

"I like it, Mommy. It looks good," replied the child.

"Let me rake your curls a little more." Scully picked up an Afro comb and gently teased the curls to make them look more tousled.

"There, is that better?"

"That looks better, Mommy."

"Good. Put your sweat pants and fleece top on over your costume. It'll keep you warm and stop anything happening to your costume." Once Sarah had done that, Scully said, "I'm going to get ready now, so you go and sit in the living room."


Sarah was almost at the living room when the telephone rang.

"Could you get that, Sarah," called Scully.

The little girl picked up the receiver and gave her customary announcement. It was her father again.

"Daddy!"

"Hi sweetheart. How you doin'?"

"I'm fine, Daddy. I had lots of phone calls today. Granny Mulder and Granny Page called me to wish me luck and that they wished they could see me tonight but I told them they can see the video.

Daddy, can Granny Page come and visit us after Christmas?"

"I don't see why not, Sarah, but we'll talk a bit more about it later, okay?"

"Okay. Daddy, can I have my ears pierced?"

"I don't know, sweetheart. I'll have to think about it. How about we talk about that later, too?"

"All right, Daddy."

"That's good. Look, I have to go now. Break a leg, okay?"

Sarah was horrified. "I can't break my leg, Daddy! I won't be able to be in the show!"

At the other end of the phone, Mulder chuckled. "I didn't mean it literally, Sarah. "Break a leg" is how people wish you good luck if you're in show business."

"So you're wishing me good luck, Daddy?"

"Yes."

"But you will be there tonight, won't you?" The anxious tone was back.

"Of course I will, Sarah, but I probably won't arrive at the school until after you and Mommy."

"Okay."

"All right. Now I really have to go, sweetheart. I'll see you tonight. Love you."

"Love you too, Daddy."

Sarah and Scully were finally ready to get underway. Scully checked her purse one last time, then put on her coat. The headsets, backing tape and video camera were in a bag by the front door, along with the make-up for touching up purposes, and Sarah picked them up on their way out. They chatted amiably as Scully drove.

"Mommy, did you know that Daddy had been in school plays and things when he was a boy?"

"No, sweetheart," replied Scully, glancing sideways at her daughter. "Who told you that?"

"Granny Mulder."

"Oh." Scully couldn't imagine that Mulder had divulged this interesting snippet of information. There was still so much she didn't know where Mulder was concerned, but she never pressed him.

Now and again he would reveal another painful piece of his past to her, and she would comfort and soothe him until the next time.

"Granny said that she'll tell me all about it when she comes to stay. She has pictures too, and if she can find them, she's going to bring them with her."

Scully smiled to herself. Mulder will just love that, she thought to herself. She knew he'd want to cringe with embarrassment, or curl up and die. Her mind ran riot, wondering what sort of roles Mulder had played, or who he might have impersonated at the school talent show - probably Elvis, she decided with another smile. Or one of the characters from the original "Star Trek" series. Would it have been Spock, with his logical mind? She could just see Mulder practising his Vulcan mind meld. The possibilities were too numerous to contemplate.

Scully pulled up at the school and she and Sarah alighted from the car, collected their equipment and headed into the building. Many of the other participating children and parents were already there, and Scully could see Mrs Vanderhelm amongst the milling bodies, a short distance away

"Look, Mommy - there's Carla." With that, Sarah was off, dragging her mother along with her. As they neared the pair, Sarah called out to her friend. "Carla!"

The little girl turned and at first didn't recognise her friend.

Then she saw Scully coming along in Sarah's wake. "Mommy, look - it's Sarah!" Mrs Vanderhelm turned, and her mouth fell open. If there had been a prize for best costume, Sarah would have won it, she decided.

"Hello, Sarah," said the older woman. "We didn't recognise you!

Your costume is wonderful! Who did your make-up?"

"Mommy did it," replied the little girl proudly.

"You've done an excellent job, Mrs Mulder."

"Thank you, and please call me Dana."

"I'd like that, Dana. I'm Peggy."

"You look good, too, Carla," said Scully. The tiny little girl's fine blonde hair was tied up in pigtails, just like Baby Spice's, and she wore a strappy little white dress, with the accompanying wedge platform shoes like Sarah. Carla also sported sparkly eyeshadow like her friend's.

"Thank you," answered the child shyly. She turned to Sarah. "Is your daddy coming?"

"He's coming later," replied Sarah. "Is yours coming?"

Carla shook her head, her pigtails swinging from side to side.

"He's in France, on business." Peter Vanderhelm worked in computers, but Scully wasn't quite sure just exactly what it was that he did.

"But he called me to wish me luck."

"So did my Daddy, and my Grannies," said Sarah.

Scully interrupted them briefly. "I think Vanessa's just arrived."

Sarah and Carla went to find their other friend, who soon joined the little group along with Eileen Castle, her foster mother. More pleasantries were exchanged between the mothers and more praise came Scully and Sarah's way for Sarah's costume. Vanessa looked very much the part of Sporty Spice, with her black lycra cycling shorts and little red cropped top. On her feet she wore running shoes and on her arm she had a removable tattoo of a cross.

Soon, the whole group had gathered, Cindy and Lucy arriving together with their mothers. Cindy was taking the part of Ginger Spice, and she was wearing a red dress with a matching sequinned bolero over the top. It had been easy for Cindy to come up with a costume - she took part in Latin American dancing classes and competitions so she just chose one of her dancing costumes. Lastly, there was Lucy as Posh Spice. Lucy wore black pants and a black top, with shoes similar to those worn by the rest of the little troupe.

The combined noise of the children and parents was getting louder and louder, making it difficult to have any sort of conversation.

Finally, Peggy Vanderhelm suggested that it was time they moved back stage.

"Can we stay here for a little while?" Sarah asked her mother.

"I want to see if Daddy comes."

"All right, but we can't leave it too long before you go backstage," replied Scully. "I'll have to touch up your make-up before I let you go."

They waited as long as they could, then Scully suggested gently that they join the others.

"Where's Daddy?" asked Sarah anxiously. "He will be here, won't he?"

"Yes, he'll be here," answered Scully, running a hand over the child's hair. "Come on, the others will be waiting for you backstage."

Scully and Sarah found the others, then Scully sought out Mrs Lucas, Sarah's teacher. She handed over the backing track, giving the woman instructions on how to use it, then returned to Sarah's side.

Scully retouched her daughter's make-up and raked her hair again. The girls' excitement was infectious and Scully found herself tingling with anticipation.

An announcement came over the PA system for all parents to leave the backstage area and take their seats - the show would begin in fifteen minutes time.

"I have to go now, Sarah," said Scully.

"Okay, Mommy."

Scully hugged her daughter as best she could, then dropped a kiss on the child's hair. "Good luck, sweetheart."

Scully and the other mothers made their way to the main hall, where the performance was to take place. These events were always well attended by the parents, whether or not they had a child taking part, and tonight was no exception. Scully quickly found herself a seat and made herself comfortable, picking up and studying the programme that had been left on the chair. There was quite a mixed bag of acts, and Sarah's troupe was about half way down the list.

While she was waiting, Scully got out the video camera and checked once more that it was loaded with film and that it was working properly. The battery was fully charged and she had the spare in the bag in case something went wrong with the other one. Satisfied that all was as it should be, Scully settled back to wait for Mulder.

Mulder glanced at his watch. He'd have just about enough time to make it before the show started. The agent in charge wasn't best pleased when Mulder upped and left, but it was too bad. He had something far more important than work to attend to. Mulder smiled to himself. He had a life now and there were things in that life that meant more to him than work.

Mulder drove along happily, his thumbs tapping on the steering wheel in time with a song on the radio. Suddenly, and without warning, another car came whizzing out of nowhere and hit Mulder's vehicle, sending it slewing across the road.

"Shit!" Mulder wrestled with the wheel, trying to gain control.

The other vehicle had come to a halt as soon as it hit Mulder's. He brought the car to a stop and got out to inspect the damage, and was confronted by a pretty big dent in the front wing on the driver's side. "God damn it!" yelled Mulder, smacking the hood. He started pacing and muttering obscenities under his breath, fingers stroking his brow rapidly. By now the driver of the other car had got out and Mulder could see that he was just a teenager.

The youngster took one look at Mulder's angry expression and was tempted to run. "I'm sorry, mister," he said, his voice barely audible.

"What the hell were you doing?" yelled Mulder, his arms waving wildly in the air.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see you?"

"You didn't see me!? What the hell do you have eyes for?"

"I'm sorry?" The poor boy quaked in his boots at the thought of what Mulder might do to him.

"Are you old enough to drive?" barked Mulder, peering at him.

Either he was getting old or drivers were getting younger by the year.

"Yes sir, I have my licence."

"Show me."

The boy fumbled in his wallet and pulled out his licence, handing it to Mulder, who examined it in great detail. "Are you going to call the police?" asked the boy in a small voice.

"I should do," answered Mulder gruffly. "But I don't have the time right now." He knew that if he didn't make Sarah's show he'd be dead meat. "We'll exchange particulars and leave it at that." Even so, Mulder made a point of making sure the boy saw his badge and ID.

"You're a Fed?" The boy quaked again, suddenly realising that Mulder was probably packing a gun as well as his badge and ID.

"Yeah, I'm a Fed, but this is your lucky night. Right now, I'm off duty and there's somewhere else I should be, so if you don't mind?"

The exchange of particulars took place without further ado.

Mulder pulled up at the school with a screech of tyres. He quickly got out of the car and locked it, then ran into the school building, his long overcoat billowing out behind him. His footsteps ricocheted loudly off the tiled floor as he darted down the corridor towards the hall.

Scully glanced for the hundredth time at her watch and turned yet again to scan the entrance to the hall. Where on earth was Mulder?

The show was well under way, and she couldn't even get out to call him on his cellphone. She'd flay him alive if he missed Sarah's big moment. Scully hoped that the little girl couldn't see out into the audience she knew that Sarah would get anxious and start to panic if her father wasn't there. She turned her attention back to the stage and carried on hoping. Suddenly Mulder slid into the seat beside her.

"You cut it a bit fine, Mulder," she hissed.

"I'm here now, aren't I?" he hissed back.

"What's the matter?" Scully turned as best she could to look at him.

"Nothing." He pursed his lips.

"Mulder, what are you not telling me?"

"Not now, Scully."

Someone behind them asked them to be quiet, but Scully would not be put off. Her voice dropped a few notes lower.

"Mulder?"

"I had an accident on the way, all right?"

Scully was immediately concerned, her hands reaching towards him.

"Are you hurt, Mulder? What happened?"

He took hold of her hands to reassure her. "I'm fine, Scully. A teenager ran into me?"

"Was he hurt? How's your car?"

"No, he's fine. The car will need to go into the workshop for repair."

Scully clutched his hand. "I'm just glad you're in one piece. I was worried that you weren't going to make it."

Finally a smile graced his features. "I knew I'd be a dead man if I didn't." He squeezed her hand. "And that was before you even got hold of me." He grinned and Scully had to smile. "When's Sarah on?"

Scully consulted the little programme. "Two more and then she's up."

Mulder nodded. "Do you have the video camera?"

"It's all ready to go." Scully handed it to him.

He suddenly noticed that Margaret Scully was absent. "Where's your mom?"

"Not well. I'll tell you later."

They sat through the next two acts - a short playlet written by the performers and an exceptionally polished rendition of "Moonlight Sonata" from one of the older students. Both were well received, particularly the pianist. Now, finally, it was time for Sarah and her friends to appear.

"Are you ready with the video camera, Mulder?" whispered Scully.

"All set," he replied.

Miss Payne, the teacher who had been responsible for organising the talent show, stepped out onto the stage to introduce the next act.

"And now, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls; singing "Wannabe", please give a warm welcome to our very own Spice Girls!"

Sarah, Vanessa, Cindy, Lucy and Carla bounded out to applause from the audience and took their places on the stage.

Mulder's eyes almost popped out of his head. Was that really Sarah up there? Was that dusky skinned, wild haired child really his little girl? A stunned Mulder leaned towards his wife.

"Scully, is that make-up on Sarah's face?"

"Yes, Mulder."

"Where did it come from?"

Scully gave a little cough. "I did it for her."

"Scully, I thought I said?"

"I know what you said, Mulder but you never said anything about no make-up. Let's argue about it later, okay?" She didn't want him spoiling Sarah's big moment.

"Scully?"

"Shut up, Mulder."

He had no other choice, for at that moment the lights went down, the music began and for the girls, there was no turning back.

Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,

I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really
Really, really, wanna zigazig ha
If you want my future, forget my past,
If you wanna get with me, better make it fast,
Now don't go wasting my precious time,

Get your act together, we could be just fine

The little girls moved in perfect co-ordination, like a well oiled machine. Each one stepped forward in turn to sing their lines, the headsets giving them a very professional look. They also had what amounted to a rudimentary light show to accompany their performance.

So here's a story from A to Z,
you wanna get with me you gotta listen carefully,
We got Em in the place who likes it in your face,
We got G like MC who likes it on an
Easy V doesn't come for free, she's a real lady,
And as for me you'll see,

Slam your body down and wind it all around
Slam your body down and wind it all around.

"I hope you're getting all this, Mulder," whispered Scully out of the side of her mouth.

"I am, I am," he hissed back. He had no idea that Sarah and her friends would be this good. He had never felt prouder of his little girl than at that moment.

And then it was all over. The applause was thunderous, and no-one clapped louder than Mulder and Scully - Mulder even going so far as to stick two fingers in his mouth and whistling, receiving a dig in the ribs and a glare from Scully for his trouble. Sarah and her troupe were the hit of the evening. The five little girls stood on the stage beaming at their reception, then took a bow and skipped off.

The rest of the acts passed in a blur for Mulder. He still couldn't believe the show that his daughter and her friends had put on. As far as he was concerned, if Sarah and her troupe didn't win a prize, there was no justice.

The last act left the stage, and Miss Payne came once more to the front. "Ladies and gentlemen, that was our last act for tonight. In a few moments, the Principal, Mrs Whitworth, will announce the prize winners. Thank you."

"How do you think they'll judge the competition, Scully?" asked Mulder, putting the video camera back into the bag.

"I have no idea, Mulder," she replied, turning to smile at him.

"Wasn't Sarah marvellous? I think the grannies will enjoy seeing that video."

"Speaking of grannies, what's the story with your mom?"

"She called this morning - she's suffering from a nasty cold and didn't want to risk passing it on."

"Does that mean she won't be joining us for Christmas?" Mulder wore a gleeful expression on his face. Scully shot him a look that would have nailed him at fifty paces. "I'm kidding, Scully. I'm very fond of your mom. She's always treated me well, like one of the family." He smiled and took Scully's hand. "I think she knew how I felt about you before I did."

"I think that goes for both of us, Mulder. My mother is nothing if not intuitive."

The general buzz of conversation died down again as Mrs Whitworth came out onto the stage, with all the acts following behind her.

"Mulder, I think you'd better get the video out again - just in case," said Scully. If Sarah and her friends happened to win a prize, Scully would hate for the little girl not to see her moment of glory.

He reached down and took it out of the sports bag once more, just as the Principal started to speak.

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, I'm happy to see so many of you here tonight to support the school talent show. I'm sure you will agree that we've seen many wonderful and varied performers this evening, and I'd like you to join me in giving them all a round of applause for their efforts." The whole hall erupted into loud applause, and when it finally went quiet, Mrs Whitworth continued.

"With so many wonderful acts and performers of such a high standard, it's been a very difficult task to choose the winners."

"Have you got that tape running, Mulder?" asked Scully in a low voice.

"Yeah," he replied. He kept the video camera trained on the stage.

The presentation of the prizes seemed to go on forever. Mulder was on tenterhooks, getting fidgety and wondering why Sarah's group hadn't yet won anything.

Then Mrs Whitworth said, "The winners of our final prize worked very hard to produce a polished and near professional performance, and I'm sure you will agree that their win is well deserved. Ladies and gentlemen, first prize in the Highlands Elementary School Christmas Talent Show goes to? the Spice Girls!"

The applause was once again thunderous, and Sarah's little troupe all stood there, momentarily stunned. Then it hit them and they all started jumping around, smiling and squealing. Mulder also felt like dancing around and squealing and he probably would have if he hadn't been holding the video camera. Scully's eyes filled with tears, and she reached out and squeezed Mulder's leg. She was so proud of their daughter, and she could only imagine how Mulder must have been feeling.

His eyes were also filled with tears and his heart was so swollen with pride that he felt it was about to leap out of his chest. How could he ever have had any doubts about Sarah winning? Her competitive streak came from him - she had to be the best, no matter what it took.

On stage, the girls were being presented with their prizes and Mulder was capturing it all for posterity. Another round of applause rang around the hall, and then died away as Miss Payne came to the microphone and announced that refreshments were available in the school cafeteria.

Mulder collected two paper cups of coffee for himself and Scully.

"I can't believe it, Scully," he said, handing her one of the cups.

"She won? Sarah won."

"You better believe it, Mulder. Sarah worked really hard for this. She thoroughly deserved to win."

He was still stunned by the way the little girl had approached it. "Sarah organised it all, Scully - she knocked them into a cohesive unit. Did you see the smooth way they moved?"

Scully smiled. She hadn't heard Mulder so enthusiastic in a long while. "They were wonderful, Mulder, and the headsets made them look very professional. Getting those was a stroke of genius on your part."

He looked pleased with that. "So, tell me what other gems I missed before I arrived."

"Let me see? an acrobat, a juggler, a young boy on the guitar he was very good; a young girl doing Madonna's "Material Girl"? she was good, too. She had the blonde wig, pink sheath dress and the faux diamond jewellery. Some of these kids, Mulder, they're so talented and inventive."

"I can be talented and inventive," he murmured in her ear. When she looked up at him, his mouth curved into a lazy smile.

"I'll have to put that to the test some time," she smiled back at him.

Sarah came bounding over to her parents. "Mommy! Daddy! We won!" She was proudly flourishing the book token she had won as her prize.

"Wait a minute," said Mulder, a twinkle in his eye. "Do we know you?"

Sarah looked up at him, confused, while Scully had to turn away to hide a smile. "I'm Sarah," replied the little girl.

"No, you can't be Sarah." Mulder was shaking his head.

"I am, Daddy."

"No, our Sarah doesn't have all this hair. Are you sure it's not a wig?" Mulder tugged gently on the little girl's hair.

"Daddy!"

"And what's all this on your face? Is it dirt?"

"It's make-up," replied Sarah indignantly. "Look." She wet a finger and rubbed it over her skin, leaving a white mark. "See? It comes off."

"Hmm - I guess you must be our Sarah then."

"I am, Daddy - I'm Sarah Elizabeth Page Mulder."

"Do you think this young lady is who she says she is, Scully?"

"I think so, Mulder."

"Well, you'd better come here so that I can give you a big hug."

Mulder opened his arms and Sarah jumped into them happily. He squeezed her tight and kissed her, then squeezed her again. "I am so proud of you, sweetheart."

"So am I, Sarah," added Scully, wrapping her arms around her husband and daughter as far as they would reach.

Scully made sure Sarah was wrapped up in her sweat pants and fleece top before they headed outside. The little girl ran ahead of her parents to open the car.

Mulder took Scully's hand in his and fingered her wedding ring as they walked across the schoolyard. "I owe you an apology, Scully.

You were right and I was wrong."

"Mulder?"

"Hear me out, Scully? when I saw Sarah on the stage, saw her face and how much she was enjoying herself, I knew you were right about the make-up and all. The girls had worked so hard? it would have been wrong of me to ruin it."

"Did Sarah's costume meet with your approval?"

"Yeah, it was fine. She looked real good. You did an excellent job, Scully."

"Thank you, Mulder."

Sarah chattered away nineteen to the dozen on the journey home.

She was still on a high from the show and her win, and Mulder thought they'd have a job putting her to bed that night.

"Mommy, how long will it take for the fake tan to wash off?" she asked.

"Fake tan?" queried Mulder. "What fake tan?"

"Mommy put fake tan on my arms and things to make me look more like Scary Spice," answered Sarah before Scully could get a word in.

"I see." Mulder glanced down at Scully, who looked up to meet his eyes.

"It'll wash off in a few days," she said. "I just thought it would look more authentic?" Scully hoped that he wasn't about to go ballistic over the fake tan.

"It's okay, Scully. I think it was a great idea."

Scully let out the breath she'd been holding.

"I'm going to call my grannies tomorrow and tell them that we won," said Sarah.

"I think they'll be delighted, sweetheart," said Mulder. "I know they would all liked to have been here to see you tonight."

It was all quiet for a moment and then Sarah asked, "Daddy, can I have my ears pierced? You said we could talk about it later. Is now later enough?"

Mulder had to chuckle. "Now is later enough, Sarah. You know it hurts when you have your ears pierced?"

"I know, Daddy. Susie Kim had hers done and she said that it hurt. Not when they make the hole, but afterwards. They were sore and infected a bit and she had to bathe them with antiseptic. You have to keep moving the earring too, so that the little hole doesn't close up."

Mulder was impressed. He hadn't realised that Sarah had researched it so thoroughly. He turned to his wife. "What do you think, Scully?"

"I think it's your call, Mulder."

He thought for a moment, then looked in the rearview mirror at his daughter, who was sitting on the edge of her seat awaiting his answer. "Okay, here's the deal. How about we get your ears pierced for your eighth birthday?"

"Yeah!" Sarah punched the air. "Thank you, Daddy."

"You're welcome, sweetheart." Mulder signalled a turn and pulled into their drive. "Ah, here we are - home, sweet home."

As Sarah alighted from the car, a few random flakes of snow fell. "It's snowing!" she cried joyously. Mulder didn't move, he just stared at the house. The wreath graced the front door and the Christmas tree was visible through the living room window. Sarah, meanwhile, danced around in the falling snowflakes, her arms outstretched.

"You coming, Mulder?" asked Scully.

"In a moment, Scully? I just want to take a minute?" His eyes continued to gaze out of the windshield.

"What is it?" Scully's inquiry was a near whisper, and when Mulder turned to her, his eyes were watery.

"I just? I never thought I'd have this, Scully. I always thought this - " he gestured in a vague semi-circle. "I always thought this would elude me. I never thought that it would ever be mine. A house, a wife and family? that sort of thing only happens to other people, Scully. It doesn't happen to Fox Mulder."

"But it has happened, Mulder," answered Scully softly, reaching for his hand and entwining her fingers with his.

"Yes, it has." He lifted her hand and kissed the back of it. "I have something I never felt worthy of or thought I deserved. For the first time in my life, I am really, truly happy. I love you, Scully.

I love you with all my heart, with my soul."

Scully didn't know what to say, and even if she did, she wasn't sure that she could get the words out because of the lump in her throat. All she could do was squeeze his hand in hers. Mulder smiled at her and made the slightest movement with his head. He understood perfectly. Mulder's arms wrapped around her and he kissed her hair.

"I'm really looking forward to this Christmas, Scully."

"Me too, Mulder."

They walked towards the house, arms around one another's waist.

Mulder glanced down at his wife, the merest twinkle apparent in his eye. "Scully, you never did tell me who your teen idol was."

Scully gave him a teasing smile in return. "I think I'll save that story for another day, Mulder."

The End

Read More Like This Write One Like This
Christmas & Kids
Stepkids list
Kids with Others list
First Christmas With You Challenge
It Wasn't His Child Challenge
One Each Way Challenge
Return to The Nursery Files home