Title: Sam and Dana Lose Their Marbles
Author: Queen of Swords
Date: November 1995
Disclaimer:I don't own these characters.. not one single person of my own making is in this story. Chris Carter and all them people own 'em. I'm just borrowing them to be silly for a while. /YES/ I know that this story is impossible. No duh. It's still fun, isn't it? :)
No sex, no naughty words (unless you count "fudge"), no violence except a little slap-stick type stuff.. rated G. It's X-Files for the kiddies!

Summary: Mulder-and-Scully as kids story... sort of. Sam insisted upon stealing the show.

Note: Okay, kiddies. This is what happens when Auntie Queen of Swords stays up all night, starts to work on her story idea around 6am or so, gets up and actually eats breakfast with her family, and them comes back to finish her story idea. You better hope I don't do this with the epic thing I'm working on, the one I'm going to write after I get all my tapes. :) Have fun; I did.


Sam and Dana were playing marbles. They did that a lot.

"Missy's got a boyfriend," Dana declared to her friend. "And he's eleven." To Dana, aged six, that seemed horrifically old. Then again, so was her sister.

"Ewww, yuck." Samantha's reply was all-too-enthusiastic. "Boys have cooties."

"Melissa's already got some. Maybe they can trade."

Sam's reply was forgotten as little Alex from down the street came racing through the middle of their marbles game. Hot on his heels was his older sister, Phoebe, yelling vile imprecations (well, vile for a ten-year-old) at her bawling sibling.

"Oh, fudge." Sam scowled. "It's almost time for supper, too. Maybe we better go back inside."

Dana made a face. "Alex and Phoebe are always wrecking our fun."

Sam sighed in agreement. "They've got cooties, too."

"At least your brother doesn't bother us."

"Yeah, Fox isn't too bad for a boy."

"Dana?" Mrs. Scully's voice rang out from the side porch. "Supper's ready!"

"Darn, I gotta go anyway." Dana shrugged. "Maybe I'll get to come back out later."

Samantha nodded. "Dinner's probably almost done at my house." Both girls dodged as Phoebe and Alex came racing back, straight at them. Sam frowned, "I hope that man doesn't come from from work with my dad again."

"What man?"

"Some man who works with my dad. He's scary, and he looks at Fox funny. I don't like him."

Dana frowned thoughtfully. She didn't like her best friend being upset. After all, Sam was eight, and she was only six, and Sam still didn't get mad at her like Missy did, for being younger. She was lucky to have Sam for a best friend.

"Well, if he shows up again, maybe we can make him not want to come back."

"How could we do that?"

"I could ask Bill, and you could ask Fox."

Sam grinned. "Your brothers know lots about making people go away, I bet. We could ask Alex and Phoebe, but who'd want to talk to them?"

"Not me."

"Samantha! Come in for supper!"

"Dana, dinner's ready!"

The two girls exchanged a grin, and dashed off to their respective houses.


The next day, after school..

Sam and Dana sat next to each other on the bus like they always did.

"He came to dinner again, Dana. Then he and my dad went to my dad's study and talked about work or something. Fox asked my dad if the man was coming back, and dad said he was gonna be here tonight too. Then Fox got mad and my dad made him go to his room." Sam was worried, and she was talking very quickly.

"I have an idea," said Dana. She leaned over and whispered in Samantha's ear.

Samantha giggled. "I bet that would work.. I don't think I have enough marbles, though. Can I borrow yours?"

"Okay." What were a few marbles when her best friend was unhappy?


Later that night...

The Mulders sat quietly around the table as dessert was winding up. Dinner had been unusually quiet, with the usually perky children quiet and subdued.. well, Fox was. Samantha was quiet, but she had the oddest look in her eyes.

William Mulder got up from the table, saying to his wife, "We've got some business to talk about now, dear." The other man followed suit, heading for the study with Fox and Samantha's father right behind him.

Moments later, a skittering noise was followed by a loud thump.

"Whose marbles are these?" William Mulder's yell was punctuated by the loud cursing of his business associate.

Samantha was too scared to talk. She couldn't have answered if she had wanted to.

"They're mine. I must have left them out. I'm sorry, dad." Sam looked up in surprise at the sound of her brother's voice, and quickly looked at her plate again.

"FOX! Get upstairs now! I'll deal with you later." The older Mulder began picking up marbles furiously.

Sam frowned worriedly for her brother as he got up from the table and walked toward the stairs.

"I'll be okay, Sam." She just nodded.

William Mulder's associate muttered under his breath as he picked himself up off the floor, "These kids are gonna drive me to smoke..."


Fox Mulder was already lounging in his chair, cracking sunflower seeds, when his partner walked in. He blinked once at the puzzled expression on her face.

"Something the matter?"

"Huh? Oh, no, Mulder, I just had the oddest dream last night."

Mulder looked startledly at Scully for a moment before replying, "I know."

 

The End...


heehee. It was supposed to be more Fox and Dana, but those two sneaky girls had other ideas, and Fox didn't get to help out until the very end.. oh well.

X-Phile: Lone Gunwoman #25, GANTA, SKKS, WWtBJLSWWGU BBTG!, Woman In Black, Head of No Such Agency

Read More Like This Write One Like This
PreXF list
Teens list
Halloween Flashback Challenge
Picture It Challenge
Return to The Nursery Files home