Title: Kissing Santa
Author: lilgreyfox
Written: December 1996
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Characters and theme were borrowed from The X-Files belonging to Ten Thirteen Productions and Twentieth Century Fox. The key word here is "borrowed" No infringement of copyright is intended. For the love of the show Song excerpt is from "When I Fall in Love".
Spoilers: Nothing direct but uses some 4th season references

Summary: A light Christmas piece with you-know-who and you-know-who.

Here's one for the holidays! I know it's early, but it's never too early to have that jingly Christmas feeling, is it?. Perhaps a small warning: This is a very light piece, fluff. Fluffy enough to get up and float away.


 

==When I give my heart, it will be completely
Or I'll never give my heart ==

The ascending escalator was jammed with people of all ages. The petite, redhead tried to squeeze through the crowd but to no avail. She couldn't move an inch.

"Honey," her mother called,"It's the Christmas season. What did you expect?! Why are you in such a rush?"

"I just thought maybe I could get through the crowd. Wishful thinking!" the daughter replied with frustration.

"The malls always look lovely this time of year. People bustling around searching for the perfect present," her mom continued observing her surroundings as they headed up to the first floor of the mall.

The entire mall was beautifully decorated with Christmas trees, huge red, green and gold ribbons, fake snow and automated snowmen turning and waving at the young children who waved back with huge smiles on their faces.

Margaret saw parents trying to pull their kids away from the gum ball machines and couples, young and old, holding hands enjoying the window displays of the stores.

The mall played perky Christmas tunes as many of the shoppers ran back and forth with their large packages. The Salvation Army was at every corner of the mall ringing their bells, thanking people for their donations. Around the mini Christmas village tremendous lines of children and their parents waited to have their picture taken with Santa.

"Mom, you sound like a Christmas Carol! Are you going to get nostalgic on me now?" she teased also looking at the seasonal decorations in the mall. She shook her head in amazement at how busy the it was.

"Alright, so I miss what we had before. I miss your father and your sister. I miss having the whole family for dinner," her mom answered.

"Don't worry, Mom. I can still spend it with you if you want-"

"Thanks, hon. But I'm going to Boston to visit your aunt this Christmas. Dana, I told you didn't I?" her mom asked as they got off from their ride and planted their feet on the floor.

Her daughter nodded and asked,"So, where to?" referring to which direction they should head to begin shopping.

"Who's the first one on your list?" Margaret Scully asked looking at thelist in her daughter's hands. She saw the first name on the sheet of paper.

"You. Mom," Dana replied.

"Why don't you skip me at the moment. After all, I know how you love to surprise me. Why don't we move on to the next person? Fox?"

"Right," she responded and they headed towards the west wing of the mall where most of the men's stores seemed to be.

"So, do you know what you're going to get him?" Margaret asked leading her daughter to the first men's store she saw.

"Actually, no. We ve been partners for five years now and well, I was thinking maybe, of getting him something that could express how much I like working with him. I guess to thank him for being a good partner and a friend." she answered trying to catch up with her mom.

"That's a nice gesture. Why don't we try this shop?" Margaret suggested pointing at a very chic store with huge glass windows and doors.

"Mom! It's a men's underwear store!" Dana exclaimed looking at the half-naked mannequin.

"Buy the man some boxers! He seems to be the type to wear them. Isn't he, Dana?" her mom asked her slyly.

"I can't even believe what you re implying!" Dana responded as she followed her mom into the store.

They were quickly approached by a salesman, who was quite good-looking.

Margaret noticed he took particular interest in her daughter.

"What can I do for you ladies?" he asked.

"We..." Dana began, but Margaret butted in.

"We're looking for a nice silk boxers for my daughter's boyfriend."

"I see," the man answered leading them towards the back of the store.

"Mom, what are you trying to do!" Dana hissed in her mother's ear.

"What?" Margaret asked innocently,"Isn't he a *boy* friend? He is a male!"

Dana shook her head in disbelief and followed her mother who was anxiously following the salesman. After showing them the selection, the salesman left them to browse around by themselves.

The first thing Margaret Scully pulled out from the revolving rack of boxers was a white silky pair with a mix of little planet Earth and Mars prints on them. On a few of the prints, a small , green martian would stand behind the planet and hug it. The martian had a strange, demented grin on it's face. To Dana, it looked a little like her partner.

"This seems to be Fox's type" she said handing Dana the shorts.

"Mom, you're incorrigible!" Dana laughed, taking the shorts from her mother.

"Yes, it's Mulder alright but ...I can't give this to him."

"Why not?" her mother demanded.

"It might give him the wrong impression!" Dana replied, glaring back at her mom and handing the boxers back to her as well. She then turned around to take a look at the pajamas.

What's so wrong about giving him that impression! Margaret Scully muttered under her breath.

"What did you say Mom?"

"Nothing dear. Nothing at all. But, if you're not going to buy it for him, I will!" she told taking the boxers to the front cashier. Scully couldn't believe the boxers cost over $75!

She was shaking her head in disbelief as they left the store.

A couple of hours later, after searching through all the men's stores, they finally gave up and decided to shop for women's clothes instead.

"Why don't I buy you something right now for Christmas?" Margaret suggested, entering a classy boutique.

"Thanks Mom, but it's okay," Dana replied following her mother, who seemed to have an abundance of energy.

"Didn't you tell me you have to baby-sit Stephen?" her mom asked looking through the sequin, taffeta gowns.

Dana nodded. She had promised her brother Charles and his wife, who had to be in New Hampshire for an important business meeting. They had asked if Dana could watch Stephen just for that night because their nanny was going home for the holidays. Margaret was also going out of town.

Dana obliged since she was having Christmas dinner with them the next day. She would just spend the night at their house.

"I hear Stephen's friends made fun of him for believing in Santa Claus. It's really a shame. He's only in kindergarten. That's too early in life to not believe in Santa Claus, don't you agree honey?"

Dana pulled out a white satin, spaghetti strap dress from the rack and looked at her mom.

"Mom, I was a skeptic too!"

"I know but you were at least ten when you stopped believing. He's only five!"

"Mom, do you think this would look good on me?" Dana asked showing her mom the dress she just picked out. Margaret looked at the dress and smiled approvingly.

"You have a nice figure, it'll look lovely on you. Fox would love it," she replied with mirth.

Scully rolled her eyes at her mom and entered the changing room with the dress. Her mom waited for her on the chair provided just outside the changing room.

"Mom, would you please get those thoughts out of your head. He's not interested."

"Well, what is he interested in?"

"Not me. That I can assure you!"

"Well, why not? Is the man blind or something?" Margaret demanded, not understanding why a man like Fox Mulder did not have any interest in her daughter.

"Actually, he's red and green color blind," Scully replied.

"Does that mean that he sees your hair as green?"

"No, Mom, although it might explain why I get along with him so well. I probably look like an alien from those old, cheesy B-movies," she joked as she came out of the changing room and inspected herself in the three-way mirror beside her mother.

"You look lovely, buy it!" Margaret said admiring her daughter.

"Yeah, I think I will get it. It' nice. Why not? A treat for myself once in awhile, right Mom?"

"I'll get that for you, hon. You go get another one for yourself," her mother told her.

"It's alright Mom!"

"Stop being a brat! I want to!" Margaret said in her stern voice.

Dana meekly nodded her head and went back to change. Not wanting to get side-tracked, since she felt this was a great opportunity to tell Dana what had been on her mind lately, Margaret continued the discussion they had left off a moment ago.

"Well, if Fox is not interested, find someone else! Honey, you're going to be in your mid-thirties. Your biological clock is ticking and I know you think that it's none of my business, but I am your mom. You're a beautiful woman and I am sure there are a lot of men who are dying to get to know you. I d like to see all my grandchildren before I die!" Margaret pleaded.

There was a long silence after and Dana did not respond to her mother's comments. Margaret sensed she probably stepped over the line and had crossed into mother-nagging territory. She didn't press further. She patiently waited for her daughter to finish dressing. Dana came out of the room a few minutes later and handed her mother the dress, which Margaret took up to the cashier. It wasn't until they left the store that Dana spoke.

"You're right Mom. I...I would like to have a family someday, too. I'll try this year to get out more often. Let's just say it's my New Year's resolution," Dana slid her arm into her mom's arm feeling like a child again.

"I'm glad," her mom answered giving her daughter a pat on the arm. The rest of the day it went on without a hitch, and *that* topic was not brought up again. However, her intention to find a present for Mulder failed miserably. But, on her way out of the mall her mother asked, "Honey, how long has it been since Fox has a good, home-cooked meal?"

Suddenly and idea came and Dana smiled.


The dark-haired man with glasses rapidly flipped through the papers on his desk. He did not hear someone enter his basement office. "Hey Mulder," Scully greeted, taking her coat off.

"Hi," he answered and looked up at her,"So why are you so late?"

Scully looked at her watch and found that she was only twenty minutes past the hour.

God, the man can be so picky! she thought to herself. "Skinner called me in," she answered.

"Oh, a new case?" he asked getting up from his seat to stretch.

"No, actually he's giving us a holiday..."

"Starting?" he asked.

"Starting December 23," she replied.

What she did not tell him was that it was she who had actually gone to Skinner's office to request a holiday for the both of them. She was surprised the Assistant Director had not even bothered to ask why Mulder had not come himself to ask for the extra days off.

"How nice of him," Mulder said with mild annoyance.

"Oh, come on, where's your Christmas spirit, Mulder? " she teased.

"Bah, humbug!" he replied with a grin.

"No, seriously, Mulder what are you doing on Christmas Eve and for New Year's?" she asked, leaning against his desk with her arms folded, giving him her 'I'm serious' look.

"Oh, the usual popping in of 'It's a Wonderful Life' into the VCR and wondering what it would be like if I had never been born, nothing new. What about you?" he asked in a teasing voice.

"I need to ask a favor from you," she said.

"Anything, anytime, anywhere Scully," he teased. Scully shook her head in exasperation.

"I'm baby-sitting my nephew on Christmas eve. Well, it seems his friends have told him there is no Santa Claus."

"Oh, how dare they!" he voice boomed with mock anger. Scully bit her lower lip to stop herself from laughing at his boyish gesture.

"As I was saying," she continued,"I think it's too early for him to disbelieve."

"You Scully? My skeptic, scientific partner believes in Santa Claus?" he asked jokingly.

"I'm serious here, Mulder. I was hoping, well wondering " she grinned sheepishly. "-if you could dress up as Santa Claus. Then, you know, I'll let you in once he's asleep and you'll make some noise just enough to wake him. " she suggested.

"What do I get in return?" he asked.

"Make yourself free New Year's Eve and I'll tell you," she answered.

Mulder's eyebrows raised. There was nothing in her voice but that of friendship. Nevertheless, his curiosity intensified.

"Why, what's happens on that day?" he asked again.

"My present to you," she answered.

"Oh, now I *am* curious," he said looking at her with narrowed eyes. He couldn't help but smile at his partner's flushed face. Mulder finally stopped himself , not wanting to make her more uncomfortable than she already was.

"One best friend to another" she answered him and turned away from his scrutiny.

"Alright, that day I'm all yours. And sure, I ll dress up as Santa. Just for you," he said sitting back in his chair again.

"Thanks Mulder."

"Oh, but you've got to do something for me," he said, looking back up at her while fiddling with his pen.

"What's that?" Scully asked.

"As one of my Christmas presents for you, I'm taking you out to dinner at that revolving restaurant at the top of the Regency on Christmas Day.

What do you say?"

Scully nodded. "Sure, why not?" she answered.

I'll just have to tell Charles I have to leave early and can't stay for dinner she thought to herself.


A small, red-head boy wizzed past Scully as she brought out a plate of cookies and a tall, glass of milk.

"Stephen, come here please" she called,"You know Santa's watching who's naughty and nice!" A few moments passed before the boy actually came to her side.

"Aunt Dana, there is no such thing as Santa Claus!"

"Sure, there is. Why do you think I'm placing the cookies and milk on the coffee table for him?"

"You're just joshing me Aunt Dana," the boy replied.

"Just because some people think Santa is not real doesn't mean he really isn't. It's what you believe. If you believe it, then there's no doubt he's real," she assured him.

"I won't believe it till I see him," the boy answered stubbornly, "I want evidence!"

"Where did you hear that from?" Scully asked, surprised at the boy's reasoning ability.

"From you," he said.

She nodded as if to understand, although she did not remember saying anything of the sort in front of him. She tried to never mention her work in front of her family.

"Well, I'm sure you'll get your evidence tonight Stephen" she said. "Now, do you want to play some games?"

The boy nodded. Scully got up to retrieve a game from the closet. She searched carefully not wanting the piles of toys and games to tumbled out onto the floor. Scully remembered that one of Stephen's favorite games was snakes and ladders. Luckily, the box was sitting on top of the pile.

And as the night wore on, Scully began to observe that Stephen was having a hard time trying not to fall asleep. Finally, a few minutes before twelve, she scooped the boy up and took him upstairs to his room. She gently tucked him in and planted a soft kiss on his forehead before turning off the light.

Seeing that the clock just about to strike twelve, she wondered whether Mulder was ever going to show up. She left the boy's door ajar so he could hear Santa make some noises and went back downstairs. Reaching the bottom step, she heard a knock on the front door. Scully looked out through the peep hole and saw a rather large Santa with a huge, red bag slung over his shoulder.

There was no mistaking it. It was Mulder. She could recognize that nose anywhere. Scully quickly opened the door and practically yanked the Santa inside.

"Wow, it's nice to see you too Scully!" he said as the door closed behind him.

"It's cold out there, Mulder, I just don't want the heat leaving the house," she answered.

"This is a big house Scully, I doubt you'll run out of heat that soon. Nice decorations. Did you do them?" he asked referring to all the lights and tinsel. "It looks so homey!"

"Thanks. I had a small hand in it."

"Okay, how do I look as a Santa?"

Scully checked him up and down, then walked around him, patting the big rear end and the big tummy.

"How much padding do you have on?" she asked.

"That's for me to know and you to find out. I get off at 12:30," he teased.

"Good enough Santa," she said trying ignoring his last statement, though her mouth curled up at the corner.

"Thank you, Mrs. Claus!"

"Excuse Me?!" she threatened.

"You heard me. Now, where is this nephew of yours?"

"Sleeping in bed. Make some noise. But not too loud that you'll wake the entire neighborhood," she ordered.

"The next house is about a mile away, I don't think I'll be waking anyone," he retorted.

"Knowing you Mulder, anything is possible," she said leading him into the living room.

Mulder placed the bag down and started shaking it to make its bells jingle. He began to take the presents out, which had been given before hand by Scully.

"HO, HO, HO!" he bellowed and jingled some more bells which were on his wrist.

Scully couldn't suppress her giggle at her partner's attempt at sounding like Saint Nick. It was too much for her. However, the bellowing must have worked because the little boy came running down the stairs with an amazed look on his face.

"Santa Claus!" he exclaimed, running to Mulder and hugging his knees.

Mulder scooped the boy up and hugged him back. "You must be Stephen. Your Aunt Dana has been telling me what a good boy you have been. Is that true?"

The boy nodded.

"Good. What is this I hear that you don't believe in me?" Santa asked.

"I believe now. Aunt Dana said I should believe and now I do!"

"That's a good boy," Santa answered and sat down on the lazy-boy chair, then brought the boy to his lap.

"Santa, Aunt Dana has cookies and milk for you," he pointed at the coffee table. Scully went up to the table and brought the cookies and milk to Santa, who graciously took it.

At first, Santa ate a cookie and took a few sips of the milk and thought that was the end of that ritual. However, Mulder sensed that, by the way the boy was looking at him with starry eyes, he was expected to finish the seven cookies and the entire glass of milk.

Taking in a deep breath, he took another piece of cookie, then another, and then another. By the fifth piece, he was having difficulty eating the cookies and keeping his beard out of the way. The stringy white hair kept entering his mouth as he chewed the cookies. He tried as politely as he could , not wanting to ruin the image of Saint Nick, to spit out the hair.

He felt himself going green eating the cookies, since oatmeal and raisin was not exactly his favorite and the glass of milk was very large. He estimated that there was more than half a litre of the white stuff. It's a good thing I'm not lactose intolerant he thought to himself as he gulped down the milk.

Scully watched the whole scene with a very amused look. And when Santa kept trying to spit his beard out his mouth, with it came bits of cookies which accidentally landed on her nephew's face. She couldn't stand it any longer. She mumbled an excuse then rushed to the kitchen where she let out a partly muffled but uncontrollable laugh. The two sitting in the living room turned their heads in the direction of the kitchen when they heard the noise.

"What's wrong with Aunt Dana?" Stephen asked. Santa looked at the boy and gave him a mischievous smile.

Your aunt is being very naughty! Santa thought to himself .

"I think it's time for you to get to bed young man. Your presents will be here for you to open in the morning," Santa announced as he gently took the boy from his lap to stand on his own.

"Thank you Santa," the boy said and surprised him with a kiss on the cheek before he scooted off to his room. Mulder watched the boy go up and disappear around the corner before he got up himself, dusting off the crumbs from his rented Santa suit.

"Did he go upstairs?" a voice came. Mulder nodded.

"Thanks Mulder, it was a very nice thing for you to do. I owe you one," Scully said approaching him.

"Oh, you owe me big time, Scully! " he said reaching out to take out the rest of the gifts from his red bag and placing it under the tree.

Scully came beside him and helped him take the gifts out and arranged them nicely so the gifts would not be scattered. Seeing that Scully was tending to the parcels, he stopped and sat himself back down on the chair watching his partner work. He hoped she'd see the gift he had sneaked in for her which he had put at the bottom of the bag. It wasn't until all the gifts were placed that Scully noticed that she missed a small box. She didn't recognized the present so she checked who it was for. The tag read: To Dana, Merry Christmas, From Santa

"Mulder, is this from you?" she asked looking over the velvet ribbon clad box.

"Yup! One of my gifts to you," he answered getting up and going to her.

"I thought you were taking me to dinner tomorrow night?"

"True. Note, I said, one of my gifts to you," he reminded.

Scully looked at her counterfeit Santa suspiciously and wondered what he was up to.

"Just open it Scully. It's not going to bite you! Or at least I don't think it will," he urged.

Scully slowly unwrapped the box and in it was a velvet-covered case. She took a moment to look at the man in the padded suit. He only smiled back.

As she opened the case and peered inside, her expression changed.

Inside, was a life like figurine of her once beloved pet. It looked exactly like him. The figurine captured his likeness like nothing else.

The sight of the dog made her catch her breath as she remembered his short, tragic life.

When you *think* you know the person she thought to herself as she smiled.

Being too much of an over-analyzer, she gradually reasoned that Mulder had no one else to lavish gifts on except his mother. This was probably why he went all out for her present. The thought didn't please her and when she thanked him, her voice came out flat.

"What's wrong? You don't like it?" he asked worriedly.

"No, I love it. Thank you," she said again to reassure him and quickly gave him a quick hug.

Remembering the gift her mother had bought him, she searched for it under the tree. When she finally found what she was looking for, she handed the nicely wrapped box to him.

"It's from my Mom," she told him.

"Thanks," he replied inspecting the drunk looking-reindeer wrapping paper.

"I ll open it when I get home.."

"Alright, I hope you like it or my mom is going to quite disappointed!" She smiled knowingly.

"I m sure I will," he said feeling a little suspicious. He reached for his bag. "Guess I'd better be going.."

Scully followed him to the door and opened it. He walked just under the door frame and paused.

A few moments passed and he was still there. Scully gave him a confused look.

"Um, Scully," he began. "Mistletoe," He pointed up and there it was, hanging from the framework.

Suddenly Scully felt the house too warm and her face going red.

Finally she asked,"What am I suppose to do about it?"

"Well " he said and the next thing she knew, she was in his arms and his lips were pressed to hers.

Her first reaction was to push him away, but the feeling was too good and all thoughts left her.

What they did not realize was that a little five-year-old was starring at them with wide eyes and with hands covering his gaping mouth from the top of the stairs.

Santa is kissing my Aunt Dana!! he thought and quickly ran back to his room. They did not hear him at all.

 


A cold, tingling sensation woke Dana Scully from her pleasant slumber. She jerked her head up to find her nephew beaming down at her.

"Aunt Dana, wake up!! It's Christmas!!" She rubbed her eyes, mumbled a greeting, yawned and stretched.

"Merry Christmas to you too, Stephen. Alright, let's go see what Santa brought you!" she exclaimed getting up and putting on her robe.

The boy quickly scooted off downstairs while Dana followed slowly behind him. As she descended and saw the front door, she couldn't help but smile at the pleasant memory from the night before.

She didn't, for the life of her, know what came over her. Well, actually she did, but promised herself a long time ago, in one of their most important cases that the stance of her working relationship would stay just that. A working relationship and nothing more. She tried to suppress her girlish giggle as she memory of her partner in his costume came back to her thoughts. And then the kiss.

Dana, it was just part of Christmas tradition. Nothing more. Don't do this to yourself she kicked herself mentally and tried to regain her usual composure.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the door bell. Before she could reach the door, a key was used and it opened.

"Merry Christmas!!" Charles and his wife hollered in unison and ran in to hug her.

"Mommy! Daddy!" Stephen yelled as he dropped his new toys and ran to hug his parents. Scully closed the door behind them and followed the three into the living room.

"Mommy, I saw Santa Claus last night!" he told his mom as she picked him up. Charles looked at his sister. Dana gave him innocent shrug.

"Did you miss us, Steve?" his dad asked.

Stephen nodded and showed him his new presents. His father sat himself down and the rest of the adults followed. Through the whole morning they opened the gifts and talked.

"I've prepared the turkey, all you need to do is put it in the oven."

"Thank you Dana," her sister-in-law Sandy smiled.

"I'll make my famous cranberry sauce."

"Would you mind terribly if I didn't join you for Christmas dinner this year?" Dana asked.

"Dana, it's tradition and since Mom and Bill's family won't be here, I really think you should stay," Charles tried to persuade.

"I know, it's just that my partner wants to take me out for a nice, friendly Christmas dinner and since he's lacking family I d like to go."

"Why don't you bring him here. We have enough for many with the way I cook," Sandy told.

"Are you sure, it won't be a bother?" Dana asked.

"Nonsense! Any friend of yours is a friend of ours and I've always wanted to meet this famous Fox Mulder. Mom has told us a lot," Charles said.

"From what I've heard I'm intrigued, I d love to meet him too," Sandy teased.

"Okay , don't do anything to embarrass me! I've already had plenty of nagging from Mom," she warned. They nodded simultaneously then all burst out laughing.

After Charles and Sandy had settled down into their home clothes, Dana called her partner and told him that he had been invited to a Christmas dinner with Charles insistence. Her partner complied grudgingly, not because he didn't want to see her family but that he wasn't good with family gatherings.

The rest of the day was spent preparing for the Christmas dinner. Even Charles had offered to help and was given his chore to knead the dough to make the French loaves. In the Scully family, the men helped out equally when it came to the kitchen. Dana began making the wassail, then lit a cozy fire in the living room fireplace.

When the table was set and the food ready, Dana went up to change into the new dress her mom bought her.

As she put the final touches to her hair and make-up, she heard a soft knock at her door.

"Come in," she called. Sandy entered, already changed and looking radiant.

"My Dana, you look absolutely wonderful!" she exclaimed.

"Thank you. So do you," Dana responded.

"I'm sure you're going to turn your partner's head," Sandy told. Dana shook her head and laughed, constantly awed by her family's tenacity.

"Sandy, nothing turns my partner's head unless you're an alien or a tall leggy brunette, of which I am neither -so that is not a possibility..."

"Are you so certain of that?" Sandy asked.

"Yes, I am," she answered.

"Why? I must admit, five years of working together and both of you don't have any feelings whatsoever at all amazes me."

"Sandy, just because you work with closely someone doesn't mean you'll end up having feelings for the person," Dana explained.

"True. It's just that you're attractive and I am just surprised that ...." Sandy stopped herself regretting that she had begun the sentence.

"What, the fact I don't have a relationship lately?" Dana finished the sentence for her.

"I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to suggest anything," Sandy apologized.

"It's alright. No offense taken. Things just haven't worked out for me lately in the relationship department, that's all..."

"Well, there's still the New Year," Sandy answered and smiled as she left the room.

Dana watched her sister-in-law leave and looked at herself in the mirror again. She let out a small, frustrated sigh and left the room for downstairs. All three, Charles, Sandy and Stephen, were in the living room. Stephen playing with his new remote controlled sports car while his parents watched him. She began to go to them when the doorbell rang.

Dana suddenly felt a stab of nervousness as she went to the door. Before opening it, she quickly straightened her dress out.

"You look lovely Sis," Charles told as he watched his sister who looked so nervous to see *just* a friend. His voice startled Dana and she gave her brother a shy smile, then turned the knob of the door. She found her partner with his back to her looking out the yard when she opened the door.

"Mulder," she called.

"Oh! Scully," he said and turned around, holding a large bouquet of flowers. He handed it to her.

"Thank you," she replied taking the flowers from him and allowed him to enter. At the same time she was thinking he looked quite handsome, freshly shaved and nicely combed hair. He slowly went in and shyly smiled at Scully's brother and her sister-in-law.

"This is Charles, my brother and Sandy, his wife." Dana introduced.

Mulder shook hands with them. "Nice to meet you. Thanks for the invitation," he said looking at Dana then to the couple in front of him.

"Don't mention it at all. Now come to the living room and meet my son."

Charles said leading Mulder to the living room. Sandy and Dana followed behind.

"You're right, he's cute. I thought you said he wouldn't appreciate the way you look tonight," Sandy whispered in Dana's ears.

She saw Dana cheeks go red. She couldn t remember when she had told her sister-in-law that she had ever said her partner was *cute*.

There was no denying it, Dana saw that her partner's eyes nearly bulged out when he saw her. For a few moments he had seemed stunned and unable to regain voice.

The formal introduction of Stephen took place, who seem to be more concerned with his newly acquired toys than Mulder. The ironic twist made Mulder grin but said nothing. After some small talk, they went into the dining room to eat. Halfway through the meal, the phone rang. Sandy got up answer it.

"It's for you Dana," she called.

Dana rose and took the phone from her sister-in-law. Back at the dining table, Stephen kept looking at Mulder. His father, sensing that Mulder was not too comfortable said, "Son, it's rude to stare."

"I think I've seen that man before," the boy tried to whisper quietly.

"Where?" Sandy asked.

The boy shrugged and went back to his turkey. After a few moments, the boy decided he had something else to say.

"Mommy, how long can people kiss?"

"What are you talking about, Steve?" Sandy asked.

"How long can people kiss? Do you know Dad?" the boy repeated the question.

"Ah...I don't know son," Charles replied.

"What's going on?" Dana asked returning to the table.

"He's asking me how long people can kiss," Charles informed, "where he is getting this from suddenly, I haven t the faintest idea."

"But Dad! I saw Aunt Dana kiss Santa Claus last night for a very long time," the boy told, dropping the bomb.

There was a long pause and only the sound of someone choking broke the silence. Dana reached for her glass of water to clear her throat but knocked it over instead.

"I'm sorry, Sandy. " Dana said bending down to soak up the water with her napkin.

"Here, leave it. I'll go get a sponge," Sandy told with a huge grin on her face.

Dana's face is red as an apple Sandy thought to herself at she went to kitchen.

Charles saw that Mulder seemed to be hot under the collar and he grinned

as well, shaking his head at his guest and his sister. Dana eventually returned to her seat, not really daring to look at Mulder. Charles wanting to break the uncomfortable silence, that was presiding the table, asked who the person on the phone was. The question quickly altered Dana's crimson face as she looked up at her partner.

"Mulder, it was Skinner. He apologized for cutting our vacation time but there's an important case and they re calling us in. We have to leave tomorrow for New York on the 2:30 flight," she informed him.

"What is it about?" Mulder asked.

"He said he'll fax it here later. So I'll fill you in when we catch the flight."

"What flight?" asked Sandy coming back to her seat.

"They have to leave for New York tomorrow," her husband answered. "Well, Dana you know we have a complex in New York, just a few minutes away from Central Park. Why don't you stay there? It'll be no trouble at all and the place is fully furnished."

"That's a nice idea. Thank you Charles," Dana gave him a very grateful smile.

"Anything for my sis. I think all the motels and hotels are probably busy this time of the season."

"Who wants dessert?" asked Sandy getting up again.

"Me, Me, Me!!" Steve hollered.

The dessert was delicious and Steve did not pursue his question again.

After clearing the table, they gathered around the fireplace and talked about politics and some of their wild cases. Finally when the clock struck ten, Mulder decided to leave.

"I think I'd better go. It's getting late. Thanks for the dinner. It was delicious," he said getting up.

Dana got up and left to get Mulder's long black wool coat from the closet.

Mulder followed closely behind her.

"You look lovely tonight," he whispered in her ear as she handed him his coat. She felt herself blush.

"Drive carefully. It's slippery out with the snow and everything," she told him.

"Thanks, I will," he replied putting his coat on.

Dana, seeing that his collar was reversed, reached over and flipped it for him. She then started to dust off the little cotton threads on the shoulder of his jacket. While she did this, Mulder stood still like a child letting his mom fuss over him.

At first they did not see Charles and Sandy watching them, looking rather delighted. When she finished and turned away, she saw their looks and felt her face flush again for the umpteenth time that evening.

"Thanks again," Mulder told stepping out of the door.

"Wait a minute," Charles said," Do the two of you know you're under the mistletoe?"

Both of them turned to look at Charles with the same facial expression.

They looked as if they had been suddenly caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

"That's right.It's tradition. Go ahead and kiss," Sandy urged.

"Auntie Dana kissed Santa there for a very long time," Steve said pointing at the opened doorway.

Sandy pulled her son to her and covered his mouth with her one of her hands. Dana gave her brother a killer glare, then turned towards Mulder and quickly gave have him a peck on the cheek. He mumbled thanks afterwards and left. When the door closed behind him, the couple burst out laughing.

"I am so glad you all are enjoying this," she told going up the stairs.

"Sandy, they're just friends!" Charles teased with feigned seriousness.

"Of course they are!" Sandy replied fluttering her eyelashes. Dana smiled at them and finally laughed.

"Merry Christmas, you two. I am going to go get that fax and see what the case is about," she told, going to her room.


The case took five days to solve and it wasn't even an X-File. This angered Mulder a bit and he started fuming in their rented car, outside the police station.

"Are we so expendable that Skinner can just call us on our supposed holiday to solve a forgery case which is so simple anyone with half a brain could solve!" he said, his voice a couple decibels louder than it usually was.

"I'm sure Skinner thought it was serious at the time. After all the governor was involved," she offered an explanation.

"Whatever," was his response.

"Well, we still have a few more days before going back home, and I haven't given you your Christmas present yet. I promised you that I would tonight didn't I?" Scully said trying to lighten the mood. It was New Year's Eve.

"That's right, you haven't. I didn't have a chance to take you out for Christmas dinner. Why don't we go tonight?" he suggested.

"No, it's set aside for your present.."

"Well, what is it?" he asked.

"I'm going to put myself to the test and cook you dinner. My treat. What do you say?" she asked.

"That was what you were planning to do in the beginning?" he asked rather disappointed.

"Yes. You cook, but you don't actually *cook*. Mulder, this is a great time to get a wholesome meal. You ve never tasted my cooking," Scully told.

"Alright, but I must warn you, NO OATMEAL AND RAISINS!" he ordered.

Scully smiled.

"I guess that means you want me to take you to a grocery store?" he asked.

"You got that right!" she said and he started the car. They went to the closest grocery mart to the condo and Scully had a field day buying the ingredients and supplies. They came out with four large grocery bags, of which Mulder carried three and Scully carried one.

Scully began to cook as soon as she got back and would not allow Mulder to step foot in the kitchen. At first he would come in every five minutes and peek to see what she was doing, which irritated the hell out of Scully.

"Mulder, I told you to get out of here!!" she yelled, her arms on her waist with an angry glower.

"You know you almost look like my mom with the red apron and the wooden spatula in one hand," he teased.

"Get out!"

"Alright, alright! I'm going. Just came to tell you it smells really good," he said turning to leave.

"How could you smell anything when I haven't even done anything?!" she retorted.

"Oops!" He quickly ran out kitchen as fast as he could.

"Ugh!!" Scully let out a frustrated grunt, waving her arms in the air.

She set the table with a new tablecloth she found in one of Sandy's closets. She got some candles and bought a bottle of Cabernet as well. She then told Mulder to change who whined about why he should do it and that he hated dressing up.

"I'm not asking you to dress up, Mulder. Just asking you to change from the clothes you have worn since this morning."

Finally he relented and got up from the couch to change. She went to her room, after watching Mulder go to his room, to change. Scully decided to wear the other dress she bought for herself the day she went shopping with her mom.

The ivory colored dress was reminiscent of the Marilyn Monroe dress with the exposed back. She bought some pearls to go along with the dress and checked herself in the mirror and liked what she saw.

I'm not wearing this because of Mulder at all she told herself, taking in a deep breath before going out of the room.

She found him lighting the candles on the table. He had on black dress pants and a new Polo shirt. He had the sleeves rolled up near his elbow and the top button was undone. Mulder turned at the sound of her steps and let out a whistle when he saw her.

"Hey Scully, are you trying to seduce me?" he asked.

Scully rolled her eyes and said,"Don t start with me. I'm going to get the food.."

The dinner went well, but at times, Scully felt uneasy when she caught him looking at her. He ate all that was there for him as well as any would-be leftovers.

Well, at least he appreciates my cooking she told herself.

Mulder helped clear the table and dried the dishes while she washed. After everything was done, she looked at her watch. Just a couple of hours before New Year s. She wanted some fresh air, if that's what you call it in New York, and besides she was stuffed . Scully decided a good walk would be nice. She turned to Mulder who was stacking the plates into the cabinet.

"Mulder?"

"Yeah?"

"Want to go for a walk? I'm quite full," she said.

"Alright, let's go. By the way, Thanks for the dinner," he said smiling at her.

"You're welcome. What are friends for?" she replied and gave his hand a friendly squeeze. They smiled at each other and went to get their coats and gloves.


The air was crisp and sharp, and the night clear. The stars were sparkling brightly. Scully buttoned her coat all the way up and wrapped her scarf around her neck. Trying to stay closer to Mulder, she hope he might be able to block out the icy wind.

They both headed toward Central Park, but on the way they saw a horse-drawn carriage. Mulder looked at Scully ,who was holding the sleeve of her coat for more warmth, and smiled. He took his wallet out and ran to the carriage. Scully saw Mulder give some bills to the driver and then wave to her.

"Let's go for a ride Scully."

"Aren't we adventurous today," she said playfully.

"C'mon m lady" he said, bowing to her. "Your carriage awaits," he continued as he helped her up.

Mulder leaped up as gracefully as any man could. They rode around the block and around Central Park. The two huddled together for warmth using the wool blanket provided and took in the scenery. Finally, Scully decided to stop and actually take a walk instead after thanking him.

They strolled along, looking at the Victorian style lampposts and the old benches. Each noted other couples walking, many of them were late in their years, looking happy enjoying each other's company. Mulder overheard many of the couples they passed by saying how lovely it was to see younger *kids* in love, referring to them.

"You know Scully, people here think that we're a couple," he reported.

"So?" she asked not really paying attention, too busy observing the lighted trees.

"So, you don't mind if I put my arms around your shoulder? For warmth I mean?" he said challenging her.

"Sure. Go ahead," she replied with indifference. Mulder looked at his partner and friend with incredulity.

"You really trust me not to take advantage of you, don't you?" he asked.

"You won't," was her reply with certainty.

"You're more certain than I am!" Mulder said with astonishment.

"You chose Mulder," she replied. Mulder stopped walking and stood in his tracks.

I chose? What did I choose? he asked himself. "Scully, I don't get what you're saying.."

"Just forget it and just enjoy the walk" she said continuing to on. But Mulder was not about to let it go.

"Scully, I need enlightenment!"

"Mulder, the role I play in your life is to be your partner and your friend. Nothing more and nothing less. Why are you asking me this? This was basically your decision," she told.

My partner is intelligent, smart and sexy. But why so damn complicated?! he thought to himself and scratched his head.

"When did I decide what role you are to play in my life?" he asked again.

"Don't you know?" she asked.

"No, I seriously do not know!" he replied running to catch up with her.

"You don't remember telling me that we're destined to only be friends?" she told him.

It took a few minutes for his mind to register the comment. The case over a year ago. Now he understood what she was referring to.

"Are you just happy with just friendship?" he asked almost reluctantly.

Scully gave him a shrug, turned her body away from him and walked a few paces further to inspect another decoration-laden tree.

"Scully, have you ever wondered what my final thoughts were concerning that case?" he asked, seeing that he was not getting any response.

"Why should I?" she asked back, slightly quickening her pace.

"Why is it that you were so ready to believe when you usually don't agree with most of my theories?"

She turned and faced him.

"In that instance, it didn't matter what I believed. My believing was irrelevant. You were ready to believe," she told him staring past him into the crowd of people gathering for the countdown.

"Well, in that instance I wasn't as ready to believe as you thought I was," he responded as they remained motionless.

She turned away from him and began to walk off. He ran after Scully and turned her around. Placing his hands on her shoulders, he looked at her, then Mulder looked up and saw a tree. The tree although not very tall, was the most beautiful Christmas tree he had ever seen. Glass angels sparkled from every branch and crystal balls of every color reflected it's own strands of lights and from the other trees in the park. The star at the tree's top seemed to make it glow from top to bottom.

Mulder saw the stars twinkling down upon them from the heavens. Snowflakes were gently beginning to fall. The scene took his breath away. All his life, he had been faced with harrowing experiences. Most of which could not be connected with anything beautiful.

God, if you're real, thank you for giving me a glimpse of what beauty is he prayed silently closing his eyes. When he opened them, he was met with the intense blue eyes of the woman in front of him.

Maybe I've had more than a glimpse of beauty but never fully realized it he thought to himself.

Mulder let go of Scully's shoulders and braced himself for the confession he was about to make.

"Dana," he began, fully aware that he was using her first name on purpose.

"The decision of the role you play in my life has always been yours to make. I love you the way a man loves his mother...."

Scully thought she knew what was coming and began to back away.

"It's okay Mulder. I know how you feel about me," she said trying to stop him from saying what she did not want to hear.

"Let me finish. I love you the way a man loves his sister. I love you the way a man loves his friend. You have played all of those roles in my life. But most of all, I love you the way a man loves a woman," he said.

Letting out his breath, he steadied himself for her reaction.

They stood facing each other as the time approached midnight. People walked past wondering what the man and woman were doing, just standing in the middle of the park.

Then, she came closer to him and stared boldly into his eyes. It was then that she realized that snow was falling.

"Mulder, what would you say if I told you I want to play all of those roles?" she asked and saw a smile emerge that was apparent not only on his face but through his entire demeanor. The kind of smile that had all the creases and wrinkles yet was utterly handsome.

"I'd say, I'm the luckiest man alive!" he answered.

She returned the same smile and pulled him to her. He embraced her, moving a few inches closer, and he leaned his head down and kissed her with more intensity and passion than the first kiss they shared on Christmas Eve.

She matched him with the same hunger and desire, wanting time itself to stop, at least for the moment. Finally when he broke away, he looked at her again.

"Happy New Year, Dana.."

"Happy New Year to you too."

They turned away from each other and looked up to the winter night's sky, lit by a rainbow of fireworks, welcoming a new year and a new life. ==And the moment I can feel that you feel that way too Is when I fall in love with you==

The End.


All done. Want to write me?

Any comments?

Read More Like This Write One Like This
Christmas & Kids
Young Relatives
The Christmas Child Challenge
Picture It Challenge, Christmas Edition
Return to The Nursery Files home