Title: Callings Author: Rachel Rudd E-mail: ErinsLyre@aol.com Rating: PG Spoilers: Revelations, All Souls Date: Eighth year on the X-Files Keywords: Scully, Kevin Kryder Summary: 5th sequel to Gone And Never. Kevin Kryder needs Scully's help, again. And, Scully begins to realize her importance in the matter of spiritually saving the world. ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Scully is asleep in bed. Suddenly, an anxious look appears on her face. She begins to move uncomfortably. Then there's a flash. A young male teen, running and screaming appears. Scully turns quickly on her side. The boy trips and falls onto some cardboard boxes. He looks towards the entrance to the room, he's now in. A dark figure appears in it. Scully breaks into a sweat and groans in her bed. The dark figure steps towards the boy he puts out his hand and screams, "NOOOOO!" There is a wound on his palm. This image is displaced, and a young, sandy-haired priest appears, "Come to him, save him, he needs you … now!" Scully's eyes popped open and she abruptly sat up in bed. She fell back down to the mattress, gasping for breath and sweating hard. Fear and worry were heavily written in her brow. She turned to the clock, 3:42. She clasped her hands over her stomach, and concentration and discernment replaced the fear and worry. She seemed to make a decision Scully tossed off the covers and leapt out of bed. She looked the full moon, the full circle. "Don't worry Kevin," she said softly, "I'm coming." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ "Ok, mom. Thanks, again for coming on such short notice," Scully said, giving the black, leather leash to her mother. "That's ok, Dana. If a child's life is at stake," Margaret Scully said, taking the leash and putting Moby in the back of her car. "I'll probably be back in a few days I can't say exactly when." Her mother nodded, got into the car and drove away. Scully was all in black. Now all she had to do was wait. The sun was setting by the time he came. When Scully saw him drive into the parking lot, she quickly ran up to him. "Krycek," she said as he got out of the car. He gave her a look and she said, "Oh sorry, Alex." "That's better," he said, "Now, what is it that you wanted to see me about?" She seemed hesitant, "Is the Cigarette Smoking Man going to do anything to my family while I'm gone?" Krycek folded his arms and leaned against his black car, almost blending in with it. "How long will you be gone?" he asked. She shrugged, "I don't know, a few days maybe more." He looked at the pavement, then at her, again. "I'm not sure, but," he said pausing, "since it is in your best interests, and therefore mine, I'll make sure nothing happens." She gave him an all-business smile and said. "Thank you." "It wouldn't kill me." Krycek said matter-of-factly. She shook his hand and went off to her car. Krycek lingered for a moment as she quickly drove out of the parking lot, then he got back into his own car and left. ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ The sign on the road read "Loveland." 'Nice to be in Ohio, again.' Scully said to herself. After a bit of driving, she pulled into the local institution. She went up to the Nurse at the desk, "Hello I would like to see Mr. Kryder." The nurse put her head down, as if stifling a sob. Scully frowned, "Is he still a patient here?" The nurse looked up, tears welling in her eyes. Scully slowly walked into Kryder's room. Mr. Kryder was lying on the bed, with monitors around him, obviously in a coma. A man in black, obviously a priest, with a purple cloth draped around his neck, was giving him Extreme Unction. There was a sick crucifix on the table near by, with candles burning in both holes. The priest anointed the man and turned around. He was the priest from Scully's dream. He smiled and said, "Hello, Dana Katherine Scully, correct?" "Yes, have I met you before, Father?" Scully replied. "Not necessarily, but you're one of us, I knew I could call on you. Katherine is one of my favorite saints," the priest said. "Father, I didn't quite get your name?" Scully inquired. "I'm Father Dewsharm." His brow soon became serious, "Here's the reason you needed to come." Scully turned to the corner near the door, a 15 year-old boy came out of the dark place. He had bright blue eyes, brown hair, and bandages were wrapped over each hand. "Hello, Dana," he said smiling sadly. Scully returned the same kind of smile, "Hello, Kevin." "Mr. Kryder sensed that his son was in danger." Fr. Dewsharm said, telling the story. "He sensed it first over five years ago. When he tried to protect the boy, he was institutionalized. And, then you came into the picture," he said looking at Scully, "When I heard about Kevin's mother being killed, I went to see Mr. Kryder, his drug doses had been increased, but he told me that someone was already going to save his son. A few days after Kevin had left with the social security workers, you came to confession." Scully's eyes widened. "Yes," he said, "I was the one who heard your confession, that's when I knew you were the one Mr. Kryder had talked about. Now, Kevin is in danger, again. Only now it's a being greater than Gates. He came for Kevin disguised as a social worker. Mr. Kryder was informed about this before me, though. Kryder managed to get Kevin to safety, but he was so badly injured by Kevin's attacker, that he entered this coma. He will die at any moment." the priest paused, he seemed in deep thought for a moment, then brought his head up, "It is not my place to do this directly, that is why you were chosen," he said looking at Scully. Scully looked at Kevin the blood was seeping through the bandages on his palm. She took his hands in her eyes and turned them over. They were bleeding from both sides. She smiled sympathetically at him and said, "It's going to be ok, Kevin." She turned to the priest. "What happens now?" she asked. Fr. Dewsharm walked up to the pair placing his hands on their shoulders. "First thing," he said walking forward, making them walk with him, "You need to get Kevin away but not too far away. I'm going to try to adopt him. It may be difficult since this demon has infiltrated social security, despite the fact that I am his godfather. My brother priest, Father Gregory suffered from this." Scully stopped and looked at him, "Then this is the evil one who tried to captured the souls of the Nephilum?" The priest nodded, "Everything turned out wonderfully, all according to Divine Will. But, Kevin is in too much danger to be kept here." They were now at the exit of the institution. The priest turned to Scully and said, "You must believe, you must be willing to sacrifice to save him." With that, Fr. Dewsharm left. Scully looked at Kevin. Scully put her arm around his shoulder and walked with him to her car. "How about we stop by Steakout, then check into a motel?" she asked, trying to cheer him up. He nodded. They got into the car, "Dana," Kevin said quietly. "Yes?" Scully asked, turning on the ignition. He looked her in the eyes. "I'll do anything you tell me to, but please never ever ask me to run, please don't." Scully saw the desperate look in his eyes, desperate for her to say yes. But, she didn't answer. She backed out of the parking place and headed for a Steakout. Scully pulled into the drive in, and placed her order she turned to Kevin who made a small order for himself. Scully drove forward to pay for it, then she received the food. Scully checked into a Hampton Inn, and she and Kevin took the food up. As they ate, Kevin was virtually silent. Scully couldn't think of anything to say. Then Kevin suddenly broke the ice. "You know, Owen," he said silently, Scully nodded. Kevin saw the affirmative from her and said, "Well, before he died, he told me to run, I did. I lived, he died." Scully frowned and was about to stop him, but Kevin continued, "My mother also told me to run, I did and she died." Kevin made a fist and rested his head on it, shaking in silent sobs. He sniffed and said, "The last word my father said was 'Run' and now, he's going to die, too." Scully got up and stood behind Kevin. She placed her hands on his shoulders to comfort him and said, "Kevin, they only wanted to protect you, they wanted you to live, not feel guilty." She knelt down beside him and looked him straight in the eye, "It's not your fault, don't think that for a minute, understand?" Kevin sniffed and nodded his head. It was 11:21. Scully looked out the window, then at Kevin who was asleep in one of the beds. Scully looked out the window, tomorrow she and Kevin would go back to Washington D.C, until the adoption was in order. It seemed too easy. She gripped her gun tightly, ready for anything. Then the phone rang. She went over to it and picked it up, "Hello, Dana," said a voice on the phone, "I would like you to keep Kevin in town for awhile." It was Fr. Dewsharm's voice. "Why's that, Father?" she asked, puzzled. "His father died tonight, he should be here for the funeral." "Oh," Scully said, "Alright, Father. He'll be there tomorrow, what cemetery?" "Just come to St. Paul's church, you can follow the hearse from there." "You mean the funeral's tomorrow"? she asked. "Yes," he said, "We need to get Kevin out as soon as possible." "OK, father." Then Scully slowly hung up the phone. Kevin, by now, was up in bed. "What is it? What funeral?" he asked. Scully sat down next to him. "Kevin, your father passed away tonight." Kevin was stone silent. He looked down and rested his head in his hands. Scully rested her hand on his back. Poor boy, he had lost both of his parents and a good friend. All because of something he had been blessed with. The stigmata, he didn't have the full stigmata, though. If he did, then he would have bruises on his face, wounds on the forehead, but he did have the wounds on his hands, feet and ribs. He bore it well. St. Francis did, too. Scully sighed sorrowfully, with every blessing comes a curse. With his blessing came a great curse. She looked out at the full moon. 'Why? Why do the innocents have to suffer?' she thought to herself. Then she thought of Emily, ever since she had saved the fourth of the Nephilum, Scully never felt the painful lump arise in her throat. It didn't rise now, but she still felt sadness every time she thought of the young girl, her daughter. She sat there for a long time, keeping a warm hand on Kevin's back while he silently grieved. It had hurt her so much to lose her father at 29, and he was only 15. He lost his mother when he was 10. She started to think now, by the looks of his father, it would've taken him at least a week or month to pass away, unless other forces were at work. And, if Scully knew who had really made that call, she would've taken Kevin into her arms and have left Ohio that very night. But, as it was, she was ignorant, and there would be some troubles. The next day, Kevin wore what he had brought. And, that was a white shirt with kakis. It was in great contrast to Scully, all in black. Kevin stirred uncomfortably in his whites. Scully could tell he would much rather be in black, the way he was feeling. While he was reading from his misslet, Father Dewsharm kept taking quick glances at Kevin, then at Scully. Scully wondered what it was that kept making him stare. The body was slowly lowered into the ground. After it was over, Fr. Dewsharm walked up to Scully, was about to say something, but instead he sighed and said, "Yes, yes, you're right, he should've been here for this." Scully was puzzled, it was as if he'd forgotten that he was the one who called her, telling him to keep Kevin there. "Alright, I'm going to the social security office today to pick up the papers, hopefully, I won't have any problems. Please, get Kevin out of town, as his godfather, I do have the right to keep him with me for a little while, so you shouldn't have any problems with taking him out legally wise." Scully nodded and Kevin said, "Could I have a few words alone with him?" Kevin asked. The two adults agreed Kevin walked over to where his father now lay. The priest turned to Scully and said, "I have to leave or I'll be late, take care of him, Scully. He's a very special boy." And, with that he was off. Scully looked over at Kevin, as he stared at his father's grave. Father Dewsharm was talking with a social security worker about Kevin's adoption. It seemed to go smoothly. "Alright, Father, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to take the boy now," she said glancing through the files, "Everything's set," she said with a bright smile. "Thank you," said Father Dewsharm. "Wait," said a man standing in the doorway, white light silhouetting him. A sallow-faced, red-headed man slowly stepped forward. "I'm afraid that evidence has turned up showing that this priest," he said almost contemptuously, "is most certainly not Kevin Kryder's godfather." "What?!" said Fr. Dewsharm stepping forward. "The mother never sanctioned this." the red-headed man replied. "His mother never protested it, though." the priest replied. "Actually," the man said holding up a file, "This file clearly states that she did have something against you, therefore you're not legally his godfather." The female social worker took the file, read it, and shook her head sadly at the priest. The sallow-faced man smiled, "Now where is the boy?" he asked. Fr. Dewsharm turned around curtly and left. "Father!" the social worker called after him, but he was already out the door. Then the man turned around and smiled, too late, he already knew. Scully and Kevin were packing up at the motel. "Ok, Kev," Scully said, "Take this out to the car, I'll be there in a sec." Kevin obediently took his baggage and went out to the car. The phone rang. "Scully," she said, picking it up. "Hello Scully," and oddly familiar voice said on the other line, "It has been determined due to legal complications, that Fr. Dewsharm is not legally entitled to keeping Kevin, yet." "What?" Scully asked, "Well, as far as I know, him being Kevin's godfather…" "He's not Kevin's godfather." the voice on the other line interrupted, "It was the father's wish of course, but he is not the boy's godfather. The mother never agreed to it." "I find that hard to believe," Scully said roughly. "Well, either way, you must bring Kevin by, you have no legal authority…" "I am a federal agent, sir," she said, nearly yelling. "Well, you'll have to come by to prove that." then he hung up on her. Scully tossed the phone down. "Damn!" she said exasperated. She was right, it had seemed too easy. Scully took Kevin to see the social security workers. She probably had spent half an hour duking it out with them, when Kevin turned around. "Dana," he whispered worriedly. "What is it Kevin?" she asked, returning the tone. Kevin looked to his left, "That's him, we have to get out of here." Scully looked up to see Aaron Starkey. He was walking towards them from down the hall. Scully visibly gulped, then she took Kevin's hand and placed him behind the nearest corner so Starkey wouldn't see him. Starkey stepped forward, he saw Scully and slowly diabolically, he grinned. "So, you're the federal agent?" Scully's heart was beating hard against her chest. "Yes." her voice came out quiet. "Well, where's the boy? You have to turn him over." Scully was terrified, but she hid it well, "I'm not releasing the boy, I have discovered that he is in physical danger, a danger that killed his father. I was called to protect him, and I will." She turned to the female social worker and said, "My badge number is 2317-616." The young woman hurried away to check. Heart-racing, Scully turned to face Starkey. He seemed calm, "It won't happen, again. The boy is mine." Scully gulped again, "There's no way you'll ever touch that boy," she nearly squeaked. "He's here isn't he?" Starkey asked looking around, he took a few steps forward and Scully had her hand on her holster. "Go back to Hell, and don't take him with you," she whispered. Starkey laughed a demonic cackle that froze Scully's blood and sent shivers up her spine. He then walked away. Scully breathed letting her muscles loosen, again. She rubbed her eyes and found there was sweat in her forehead. The social worker came back and said, "I found your file, and there seems to be some record of you protecting Kevin, before." "Yes," Scully said, "five years ago." "Well, I guess he could stay with you if you don't take him out of town." Shit, and that's exactly what Scully had to do to make sure he'd be ok. "Very well," Scully said. She and the worker parted. Scully went up to Kevin, who was frozen in his corner. Scully had to pry him out of his kneeling position, the short boy leaned on Scully for support. They walked out to the car. "Dana," he said, "I don't want to stay here, Scully. I want to go anywhere but here." "It's going to be ok," Scully said, "He's not going to touch you." Kevin looked at her, "Can you keep me safe?" he asked. Scully faked a smile, "I've done it before." Father Dewsharm heard a knocking at his door. He immediately got up and went to check it. "Dana, Kevin," he said in surprise, "What's going on?" "Father,I just managed to convince the social workers to let me keep Kevin, due to my being a federal agent. But, he still has to stay in town," Scully stated. "And, Father," said Kevin, "The man is with them." "Did he have red hair?" the priest inquired. Kevin nodded. "Lovely." Fr. Dewsharm said sarcastically. "Father, we're going to check into a different hotel, I'll see you after all this is over," Scully said, taking Kevin out back to her car. Fr. Dewsharm shut the door, and went back to his table, cluttered with files. He sifted through a few papers, then his blue eyes lit up. He reached for a paper and said, "This'll prove the mother's consent." He put on his black blazer and was heading for the door knob, when a body was suddenly blocking the way. "My my that certainly looks interesting. May I see it, Father?" "No, Mr. Starkey you may not." said Dewsharm, walking backwards and throwing the sheet back into its file. Starkey pretended to look disappointed, "Oh well, maybe at least you'll tell me which hotel, Ms. Scully is taking the boy to." "Never, you demon from Hell." Fr. Dewsharm said vehemently. Starkey pretended to wince. "Alright," his voice deepening, "have it your way, Father." With that he disappeared. Father Dewsharm took a few looks around, bracing himself. Then the huge filing cabinet fell on him. Scully felt it as she was driving. She felt something was wrong, she turned around suddenly, speeding back to the church. "What is it, Dana?" Kevin asked. Scully shook her head, "Something's wrong." She pulled into the parking lot, leaving the car door open. She frantically ran into the rectory door. "Father!" she shouted, "Father!" she repeated. Then she drew out her gun and kicked the door in. Scully cautiously stepped inside, then she heard some groaning in the next room. She ran in and saw Fr. Dewsharm beneath the cabinet. "Father!" she exclaimed, getting to his side. She took out her cell phone and dialed, "Hello, this Special Agent Dana Scully, I need an ambulance, STAT. Location is St. Catherine's Church." Scully hung up and asked softly, "Father, was it him, was he here?" The priest nodded and said, "Here's the paper giving my lawful guardianship of Kevin, keep it safe. You can use it to get him out of here." Within a few minutes the ambulance arrived. They put Fr. Dewsharm on a gurney and placed him in the ambulance and drove off. Scully turned to Kevin and said, "Well, I guess we better be going." "I guess so," a frightening voice came behind Scully. She turned around to see Starkey. She immediately pulled out her gun and took off, grabbing Kevin by the arm. Even with heels, Scully was still too fast for Kevin to keep up with. He tripped and fell Scully took Kevin on her shoulder and got him into the car, and they drove off. They were by the old recycling factory, located in the forest, when the car just stopped. Scully tried to start it several times, but it wouldn't work. She started to worry. Kevin sat in his seat, utterly petrified. "C'mon, Kevin," Scully said reassuringly, "There has to be a phone in there." "Dana, this is the place where he tried to kill me!" Kevin whispered. "I know," She said, "But, we need to try the phone, let's be real quick and go." They unbuckled themselves and stepped out of the car, and began walking towards the ominous building. Fear and uncertainty clutched Scully's heart. Her intuition told her to go back, but her brain told her to go forward. She obeyed the latter. As they stepped inside the building, the ominous air became stronger. "Kevin," Scully said, "Go see if that phone over there works, I'm going to scout the building." She wanted to make sure Starkey wasn't there. She took out her gun and held it steady and ready, though she wondered why since it wouldn't help her. She took bold steps forward into the unknown of the plant. She kept glancing back at Kevin to make sure that he was alone. Then she felt a twinge of apprehension, she turned around to see a dark figure chasing Kevin down the opposite way. She ran after them. Kevin ran as fast as he could. The pounding of his heart was so strong, he thought it was dragging him along. He ran into a room where he tripped over some cardboard boxes. He looked back towards the entrance of the room, and he saw the dark figure, Starkey. He put out his injured hand and screamed, "NOOOOO!" Suddenly, Scully jumped on the man's back. Kevin quickly stood up and ran to the other side of the room. Starkey reached back and grabbed Scully's collar. Then he threw her off his back effortlessly. She almost landed on her head as she fell and slid across the floor, banging hard into the wall. Starkey lunged for Kevin. Kevin eluded his grasp and ran out the entrance to the room, Starkey chased after him. Scully followed as fast as she could, then she saw Kevin run up the steel stairs near the ceiling with Starkey following. She got an idea. Kevin stopped running when he came to a dead end at the stairs. He turned around to see Starkey closing in on him. Starkey was about to block the only exit to the stair platform. Suddenly, Scully bolted out between Kevin and Starkey. "GET OUT OF THE WAY!" Starkey yelled, his voice deepening. Scully coolly stood in front of him. Starkey narrowed his eyes. Scully gagged and reached for her throat as Starkey mentally choked her. He jerked his head and Scully fell off the stairs into a pile of cardboard boxes. Starkey jumped off the stairs, landing on his feet. He walked up to Scully as she gasped for breath. Starkey took her by the throat and looked her in the eye. "You've cost me the fourth soul of the Nephilum, stupid mortal. You will not save this one." Starkey's hand became boiling hot. Scully's eyes widened with pain. Smoke was starting to come from his hand when a voice yelled, "STOP!" Their heads turned to see Kevin standing there. "Kevin, RUN!" Scully squeaked out. Kevin shook his head, "No, Dana. No more running." Starkey relinquished his grip on Scully's throat. She fell to the floor breathing deeply. She screamed as Starkey went for Kevin's neck, when a bright light enveloped the area. "Cover your eyes, Dana!" She heard a wonderful voice say. She closed her eyes, and that's when she heard a blood-curdling scream. She opened her eyes and Starkey was gone, but Kevin was standing where he had been. He was smiling. ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Scully smiled as Kevin and Fr. Dewsharm embraced each other. They were like real father and son. Father Dewsharm smiled gratefully at Scully. She turned to go, but he said, "Dana, remember." Scully turned around, puzzled. "Remember your role." Fr. Dewsharm said. Scully lingered on this for awhile, then slowly turned around and walked away. The End